Thread: repairing an inwale

Default repairing an inwale

Hoping for some advice, I have a lot to learn... Stitch and glue boat. I thought the inwale / gunwale were epoxied on, sandwiching the ply with copper rivets for looks...but judging from how it broke, maybe it's just riveted.

Anyway. A lee board fitting was attached at the inwale, the lee board dropped and caught the ground as I was backing down a bumpy boat ramp...splintered off that chunk of inwale before I noticed.

It seems like I should try to epoxy scarf a replacement section in place? What sort of scarf ratio should I try to achieve and what would be the best way to cut a true bevel on the piece that's still on the boat? Does the replacement piece need to be long or just matched to the damaged area?

thank you for any thoughts, ( i think i'm going to get rid of the lee boards but it should still be pretty strong as there's an oarlock right there..)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: repairing an inwale

That is a bronze leeboard attachment for a Sabot. A nice bit of gear, desirable to small boat sailors
    Just scaph in a new section of inwhale to repair the boat.
    I have used that fitting on many different canoes, skiffs etc., a couple of 1/4" bolts with wingnuts and the entire thing removes in about a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Campbell View Post

It seems like I should try to epoxy scarf a replacement section in place? What sort of scarf ratio should I try to achieve and what would be the best way to cut a true bevel on the piece that's still on the boat? Does the replacement piece need to be long or just matched to the damaged area?

thank you for any thoughts, ( i think i'm going to get rid of the lee boards but it should still be pretty strong as there's an oarlock right there..)
    Cut a graving piece with 8:1 scarfs. It will be trial and error as you will have to match the curve of the inside of the shear plank as well as the scarf slopes. Use a piece of over size timber and then when it is fitted to place, trim off the extra wood on the inside and top surfaces. If using thickened epoxy you will not noo need to be too precious about a ciggy paper quality of fit.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Thank You! will do