Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Dem's propose background checks…..

Default Dem's propose background checks…..

Well, about time they threw down the gauntlet…..

"Five days after taking over the majority in the chamber, House Democratsunveiled a bill that would significantly expand the requirements for background checks on gun sales.In a major victory for gun control advocates, the legislation aims to close longstanding loopholes in federal law, which requires criminal background checks when guns are sold by licensed dealers but allows private citizens to sell and transfer guns to each other without any background check.
    Closing these loopholes has been the top priority of the growing American gun control movement since the 2012 mass shooting at Sandy Hook elementary school, which left 20 children and six educators dead."
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...und-check-bill

Well who'd a thunk it………………….. but good on them.

Default Re: Dem's propose background checks…..

I expect that I will be able to hear the howling from the gun fans all the way up here.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Polls say 90% of US citizens want stronger checks……………………. Could be on a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Polls say 90% of US citizens want stronger checks……………………. Could be on a winner.
    The polls are lying...…..or better yet falsified to promote a liberal agenda, nothing new about that.

They fail to mention that several (11) states already have universal background checks. This is the FED catching up to states rights.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post
    The polls are lying...…..or better yet falsified to promote a liberal agenda, nothing new about that.
    You can lead a man to reason but you can’t make him think.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

How could transfers between private citizens be regulated? How could they be enforced? How could they even be monitored? Dream on.

The only thing that will ever work is to eliminate the firearms themselves. How could that possibly be accomplished?

Anything would be worth a try, but it sure looks to me like it's just plain too late, the guns are out there.

Now, to answer my own questions, ammunition sales along with reloading supplies would be much much easier to regulate, even severely curtail. I think that's how I would go about it. Let the doinks arm themselves to the teeth but don't let them have any ammo. That could be the new prohibition along with the new black market. You'd actually need a wall to stop the smuggling. Now we're talking!

Were the firearms used in Sandy Hook acquired through the loophole sought to be addressed by the proposed legislation? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    You can lead a man to reason but you can’t make him think.
    Well I think the americans are not going to give up their guns like the australians did. We don't bow to the queen or king. That's what I think. Do you think ?

Well I think the americans are not going to give up their guns like the australians did. We don't bow to the queen or king.
    We didn’t do any bowing either, 35 innocent people were murdered and we as a nation said enough. The killer actually stalked two young girls around a tree and shot them at point blank range after shooting their mother in front of them.
    Australians didn’t give up gun ownership, just the ownership of certain guns.
    The OP is about improving background checks to reduce criminal ownership of guns and you are objecting to that!
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

We didn’t do any bowing either, 35 innocent people were murdered and we as a nation said enough. The killer actually stalked two young girls around a tree and shot them at point blank range after shooting their mother in front of them.
    Australians didn’t give up gun ownership, just the ownership of certain guns.
    The OP is about improving background checks to reduce criminal ownership of guns and you are objecting to that!
    Actually I do......

It's already the law in Maryland. If I want to sell my guns to a private buyer they must be OKed by the state police.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

This isn't about giving up guns, this is about making sure people who buy guns are legally able to do so, which means they do not have a past criminal history of violence. I'm down with that.

We have had universal background checks in Colorado for several years, and while it did not stop the theater shooting it has not limited my purchase of firearms either.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Were the firearms used in Sandy Hook acquired through the loophole sought to be addressed by the proposed legislation? Just curious.
    His mother, Nancy Lanza, a gun enthusiast, legally obtained and registered a large collection of weaponsand would often take her sons to shooting ranges.
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...heir-guns.html

Actually I do......
    Why?

I am a gun owner who fully supports universal background checks! I passed background checks to acquire my firearms, and everyone else should have to do the same. That is the most basic bare minimum of common sense.

There are other good rules that should be implemented too, but this is a good start.

WX -
    RonW -
    Actually I do....
    Why?
    The 9th amendment in- the bill of rights.

We revolted against tyranny in 1776, after the dust settled we created a government and a constitution for our new tyrannical politicians to live by or to be restricted by.

The bill of rights are rights that are reserved by the people and are a direct restrictions upon the government.

The government only has the right to operate with the people's blessings as long as it does not violate these rights.

The ninth says these rights shall not be denied or disparaged, and even the 2nd says not to be infringed.

The word disparaged means to weaken or water down by constant chipping away at...A favorite of the politicians. chip, chip, chip.

If you commit a crime, then you do the time. Restricting rights as a way to prevent crimes is B.S. and a infringement .

So the answer is "no." The proposed legislation would not have prevented Sandy Hook. So why does the Guardian piece resort to yellow references?

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I am a gun owner who fully supports universal background checks! I passed background checks to acquire my firearms, and everyone else should have to do the same. That is the most basic bare minimum of common sense.

There are other good rules that should be implemented too, but this is a good start.
    Same here.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    So the answer is "no." The proposed legislation would not have prevented Sandy Hook. So why does the Guardian piece resort to yellow references?
    However tightening up the checks might have prevented several of the other shootings. You would need a ban on handguns and semi autos to prevent the others...one was done with a pump action shotgun.

A question to gun owners from a non gun owner. I’m not opposed to guns, but I haven’t fired one since I was I kid on the prairies plinking tin cans with a .22 short.
    For those of you who are non-hunters, what’s the main reason for owning a gun, be it a rifle or handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    A question to gun owners from a non gun owner. I’m not opposed to guns, but I haven’t fired one since I was I kid on the prairies plinking tin cans with a .22 short.
    For those of you who are non-hunters, what’s the main reason for owning a gun, be it a rifle or handgun?
    Man is the most dangerous animal on the face of the earth.

WX -

RonW -

The 9th amendment in- the bill of rights.

We revolted against tyranny in 1776, after the dust settled we created a government and a constitution for our new tyrannical politicians to live by or to be restricted by.

The bill of rights are rights that are reserved by the people and are a direct restrictions upon the government.

The government only has the right to operate with the people's blessings as long as it does not violate these rights.

The ninth says these rights shall not be denied or disparaged, and even the 2nd says not to be infringed.

The word disparaged means to weaken or water down by constant chipping away at...A favorite of the politicians. chip, chip, chip.

If you commit a crime, then you do the time. Restricting rights as a way to prevent crimes is B.S. and a infringement .
    So your right to own a semi automatic or a handgun is more important than the lives of your children?
    Also you are saying criminals have the right to own guns!?

And your attitude bolsters that belief by refusing to prevent criminals from buying guns. But this only applies to the US, every other civilised country has gun laws designed too protect the people. Only in the US do people feel they must protect themselves from their neighbour...why?

And your attitude bolsters that belief by refusing to prevent criminals from buying guns. But this only applies to the US, every other civilised country has gun laws designed too protect the people. Only in the US do people feel they must protect themselves from their neighbour...why?
    And these so called criminals, if they are criminals, then why aren't they in jail and if the crime is grave enough then executed, problem solved.

Other countries will never invade us, unlike your country due to the fact that if they get by the military then they have a gun behind every blade of grass, as was quote by Isoroku Yamamoto,Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy who attacked pearl harbor.

Oh and when the people fear the government, there is a problem, not the other way around.

Last year in Metro Vancouver we had 52 homicides and I noticed Metro Cincinnati had 70ish. Metro Vancouver has a slightly larger population than metro Cincinnati (2.3 million to 2.1) I feel very safe here with the exception of a couple of neighbourhoods. Is it the same with you?

And these so called criminals, if they are criminals, then why aren't they in jail and if the crime is grave enough then executed, problem solved.

Other countries will never invade us, unlike your country due to the fact that if they get by the military then they have a gun behind every blade of grass, as was quote by Isoroku Yamamoto,Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy who attacked pearl harbor.

Oh and when the people fear the government, there is a problem, not the other way around.
    That is part of the problem. You get people who are criminals, they did their time, and now they want to own a gun. Legislation like this is supposed to make it harder for them to do so. We already have a similar law on the books here in NJ, I know more than my fair share of gun enthusiasts. It hasn't stopped a single law abiding person from getting a gun, it just slows the process down some for them and hopefully stops it cold for those who are not law abiding.

I am waiting for the "criminals can always get guns illegally" BS. Yes they can, efforts like these can also slow down straw purchases of firearms and work towards drying up the street supply. If their suppliers can't get guns legally, they can't sell them illegally.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Maybe they've done their time and gotten out but decide to hold up the local 711. They don't have to have a crim check to buy a gun off a private seller so no worries...they get the gun and another innocent person dies when the robbery goes wrong. Some of the mass shooters got their gun that way.

You may not have heard but the Japanese lost the war and the citizens didn't rise up, they bowed to the occupation forces and rebuilt their lives.
    Then stop electing brain dead idiots who have no interest in the welfare of US citizens
    By the way, do a bit of research into what happens to citizens that take up arms against occupying armies...it rarely ends well. Google Lidice.

If I had to bet on a winner between the wishes of 90% of Americans or the NRA Lobby, I would bet on the NRA lobby every time.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Unfortunately I agree, the legislators have been wholly owned by the lobby for a long time now and the NRA has them by the short and curlies.
    But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, I applaud the Dems for attempting to make a start.

Especially when he has a gun.....

Unfortunately I agree, the legislators have been wholly owned by the lobby for a long time now and the NRA has them by the short and curlies.
    But don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, I applaud the Dems for attempting to make a start.
    I applaud them also for trying, but it's like the Republicans voting 70 times to repeal Obama Care.
    As long as the GOP in the Senate allow themselves to be controlled by the NRA, an organization soaked with the blood of tens of thousands of innocent Americans, nothing will happen. They reek with the stench of death.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

So - when exactly was Australia invaded?

While you're at it, tell me how your 30-06 or AR is gonna stop a tank or an APC.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

....allows private citizens to sell and transfer guns to each other without any background check...
    Sounds like an opportunity for a 'private' business.....
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So - when exactly was Australia invaded?

Some say January 26th - we're about to 'celebrate' it.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.