Thread: How Green Are My Allies?

Default How Green Are My Allies?

Responding to a question I raised in the Green New Deal thread, David G mad the excellent suggestion thatI start a thread on the topic of how we, personally, act to tread more lightly on Mother Earth.
    So what do you all do?

We use a lot of LED lights, heat largely with wood, don't have an air conditioner, recycle, don't use fertilizer, etc.

Default Re: How Green Are My Allies?

We've shifted to LED lighting, put solar panels on the house, installed a heat pump (Heating and cooling - reduces our oil use), replaced the appliances that were power hogs. We also have thermal blinds. We drive fuel efficient vehicles. We also try not to waste water. Buy what we need, not always what we "want". Support local farms/farm share.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

We do most of the above. Also, while my wife brought two lovely daughters along from her first marriage, I have opted to not have any offspring of my own.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

On the plus side -- we've had a heat pump forever. Solar hot water heating for nearly 20 years. Mostly converted to LED bulbs - both at home and at the shop. Burn wood heat to partly heat the shop. Portland has a good city-wide recycling program. I moved to a new shop just 2.5 miles from the house - less driving. My sweetie drives a Honda Fit - good combination of gas mileage vs. utility. All yard/garden stuff is organic. We shop for 'organic' & 'natural' products almost exclusively. I buy most of our clothes - both work and play - used.

Needs work -- still have some older, less efficient, appliances (washer/dryer, refrigerator). Still drive a full-size, crew-cab, 4wd pickup truck... it'll be a while before I can downsize, as I need it for work. Eat meat.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I can only afford little things. Carry a water bottle instead of using those plastic throw aways. I've got a coffee cup in the car for those coffee shop stops. Drive a 40mpg car.
    And vote Democratic party.

As long as we are being green lets not leave out how many other human beings you have unleashed into the world and pets.

Condo living, bicycle commuting, step father, no pets, LED... you get the idea. I would have no problem voting for a $0.25 federal excise tax on gas and diesel. Suburbanites have done more to trash the ecology of the united states than rednecks. The automotive industrial complex has killed more people and done more social and physical damage to the US than any other invention since Henry Ford. While counting deaths don't forget to count the premature deaths due to air pollution. Granted it has had some good effects also, but for the most part has been misused.

Disclosure:GF has two pets, a rabbit and a horse. So no meat consumption and the waste goes to compost, or straight to the garden in the case of the rabbit. I have a 12 year old SUV that sees 5,000 miles a year, half of which is business travel and the other half is due to weather or hauling toys to the lake. I've done the math on getting a greener car, but I would have to increase the miles I drive each year for there to be a carbon footprint payoff if we count the carbon footprint of making the new car versus maintaining the old one. I would actually like a used car with better gas milage and keep the total miles at the current level.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/th...nmental-impact

https://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/47934...climate-change
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

have you suggested that the va go to green burials yet?

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    As long as we are being green lets not leave out how many other human beings you have unleashed into the world and pets.

Condo living, bicycle commuting, step father, no pets, LED... you get the idea. I would have no problem voting for a $0.25 federal excise tax on gas and diesel. Suburbanites have done more to trash the ecology of the united states than rednecks. The automotive industrial complex has killed more people and done more social and physical damage to the US than any other invention since Henry Ford. While counting deaths don't forget to count the premature deaths due to air pollution. Granted it has had some good effects also, but for the most part has been misused.

Disclosure:GF has two pets, a rabbit and a horse. So no meat consumption and the waste goes to compost, or straight to the garden in the case of the rabbit. I have a 12 year old SUV that sees 5,000 miles a year, half of which is business travel and the other half is due to weather or hauling toys to the lake. I've done the math on getting a greener car, but I would have to increase the miles I drive each year for there to be a carbon footprint payoff if we count the carbon footprint of making the new car versus maintaining the old one. I would actually like a used car with better gas milage and keep the total miles at the current level.

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/th...nmental-impact

https://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/47934...climate-change
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

How green are my wellies?
    Dark green Hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    have you suggested that the va go to green burials yet?
    The VA is introducing green burials in new cemeteries and adding them to some existing ones. The concept is still new, (most are under development and only one has been opened to the public)that I know of) but the way it works so far is the burial plot is usually native grasses and only occasionally mown and irrigated to keep it alive in drought but not green year round. Internments are not buried in caskets or vaults just in situ and the the names are going to be on a small plaque at the entrance, so no individual headstones. So far the idea has not caught on but it took a while for cremation to be come a popular alternative to the traditional full burial plot and upright headstone. There are still several details to work out.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

I drive a truck getting 14 mpg and produces plenty of carbon dioxide for plants to feed on. Without it all plant life on earth would die, plants take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen for humans to use. It is a win win for the inhabitants of earth.

I also use as much paper products as possible, so as to keep the forests properly trimmed back so as not to end up with the results we have seen in California of raging forests fires from overgrown poorly managed forests destroying property.

What a maroon.
    Unless my irony meter has totally packed up- seems OK

We garden organically, Summer and Winter. We also forage for fruit. We have minimized the amount of beef in our diets, eating it only on special occasions and only grass fed, free range. We eat a lot less meat in general. We try to be locavore as much as possible, something one is able to do fairly easily in a place like California.

We have downsized our cars. We have three 4-cyl. vehicles and a truck that is a 6. When we can walk to an errand, we try to remember to do that. We recycle religiously and we try to avoid buying large plastics, if possible, such as large laundry detergent bottles, Costco packaging, etc. We also bring our own bags to the grocery.

I walk.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    What a maroon.
    Unless my irony meter has totally packed up- seems OK
    Was it made in the U.K. ? If so that could be the problem.

Hey by the way, do you ever get together with Isla and play golf over at Trump's ?

At home are newer California luxury apartment complex is pretty green all LED lighting and energy effeciant appliances, all landscaping water is recycled. We have a personal car but tend to ride incredibly fuel efficient Vespa’s or bicycles. Our next car will probably be a Tesla.

Our buisness uses MB Bluetec diesels that get about 22 mpg fully loaded with 9,000 lbs. We use deep cycle battery bank and an inverter to power our equipment. We keep impeccable maintenance to insure productivity, reliability and that keep issues that would end up being ecological issues as well.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We have gradually shifted to energy-wise appliances through the years; sealed doors and windows; added extra insulation in the attic; changed to energy-efficient double pane windows, and lights not in use are religiously turned off. My concentration is on water conservation since I am an avid gardener both inside and outside. I have two 60 gallon rain barrels on two downspouts for spot watering plants outside. I also catch the half gallon of water that comes from the shower waiting on the hot water to appear instead of allowing it to run down the drain. That waters my indoor plants or goes into the pet water dish.

Quote Originally Posted by RonW View Post

Hey by the way, do you ever get together with Isla and play golf over at Trump's ?
    You live in Ohio do you ever ....... oh wait there’s nothing to do in Ohio

We've adopted pretty much all of the above measures. Besides which, we've got a grid-tied 4kW PV array that generates more power each year than we use– enough to charge an electric car once they offer enough range. The Honda hybrid we use for commuting gets about 60 mpg.

We grow most of our veg, with the hardy stuff outdoors:

Designed and built a greenhouse ten years ago that is 90% self-heating, even with our cold winter nights.

Details here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ate&highlight=

Figuring out how to live well with fewer ill effects has been a preoccupation. It's also fun.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 01-09-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I do not play golf; if I did, Trump's establishment would be the very last place I would consider.
    Probably about 5 hours drive away from Isla too.

I call for a halt to habitat destruction.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Chip that looks marvelous I’m jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Chip that looks marvelous I’m jealous
    That's my revenge for all your pictures of sunny beaches.

An impressive list!
    One issue that interests me is the multifactorial trade offs of vehicles. When, or how many miles, does a new, more efficient vehicle become superior to a used one, given the environmental costs of building the new one? I'm guessing mpg, miles per year, age, at least all figure in

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    An impressive list!
    One issue that interests me is the multifactorial trade offs of vehicles. When, or how many miles, does a new, more efficient vehicle become superior to a used one, given the environmental costs of building the new one? I'm guessing mpg, miles per year, age, at least all figure in
    The Honda Insight hybrid was built in 2000. We replaced the main battery a couple years ago and are still way ahead on the fuel cost savings. We live in a very cold climate about 30 miles/50 k from the nearest town, with a drive across a flat valley. The present crop of plug-in hybrids (Mini Cooper SE Countryman and the Subaru CrossTrek) don't have the electric range for that, so we'd be burning gas going and coming, with full E mode in town. The net would likely be around 60 mpg, same as we get now. The Nissan Leaf might work, sort-of, but doesn't have the range for longer trips to the doctor, etc. in Colorado. I'm also not sure if the heating system is up to our extreme cold.

A 2000 C-RV (30+mpg) is our towing and winter vehicle, with a snow-covered access road and frequent nasty highway conditions. I've read rumours that Honda plans to introduce hybrid versions of the C-RV and H-RV in China, but I've not seen the details.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 01-09-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    An impressive list!
    I tried and failed to find the calculator that had been introduced to me by Treehugger. What I did find is the following article which references a calculator and some other thoughts on going new green vs running the old car into the ground. According to the comparison with a gently used forester I would be ahead of the game in 4 years in CO2 if I scrapped out the current SUV and went with the newer more fuel efficient car.

https://grist.org/business-technolog...to-the-ground/

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    The VA is introducing green burials in new cemeteries and adding them to some existing ones. The concept is still new, (most are under development and only one has been opened to the public)that I know of) but the way it works so far is the burial plot is usually native grasses and only occasionally mown and irrigated to keep it alive in drought but not green year round. Internments are not buried in caskets or vaults just in situ and the the names are going to be on a small plaque at the entrance, so no individual headstones. So far the idea has not caught on but it took a while for cremation to be come a popular alternative to the traditional full burial plot and upright headstone. There are still several details to work out.
    There was a story on my local public radio station (KUOW) along these lines earlier this week. A bill is going to be introduced that would allow humans to be composted. You get placed on a bed of woodchips at the top of a tower and slowly sink to the bottom. The interviewee said something like 90% of Seattlites get cremated now and that there is a lot of interest in having a final disposition that doesn't include fire.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I don't and won't have children. You cannot be green and bring children into the world, especially American children. If you are truly green, you will adopt. I drive a Jeep that gets 14MPGs, I still win at being green vs those who choose to have kids.

I've also spray-foam insulated my entire house, upgraded my furnace to a 95% efficient furnace, I will, when my water heater goes, replace it with an on-demand unit, I also plan on getting solar panels installed when I get a new roof put on. We eat beef maybe once or twice a month.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

We pay a 10% extra fee to get electricity from renewable resources. There’s lots of wind around here. my Tacoma is a 4 cylinder and gets 28 mpg. I do the best I can at work. When you burn thousands of gallons per flight, the opportunity to save tens of gallons, or even hundreds presents itself often. It’s the best I can do until electric propulsion comes along.

we are both vegetarians, the mass production of meat is a huge pollution source. We grow as much of own as we can in season. We also by produce from a CSA which is local. It cuts down on the food you eat from the other side of the plant.
    Last edited by CK 17; 01-09-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    I don't and won't have children. You cannot be green and bring children into the world, especially American children. If you are truly green, you will adopt. I drive a Jeep that gets 14MPGs, I still win at being green vs those who choose to have kids.

I've also spray-foam insulated my entire house, upgraded my furnace to a 95% efficient furnace, I will, when my water heater goes, replace it with an on-demand unit, I also plan on getting solar panels installed when I get a new roof put on. We eat beef maybe once or twice a month.
    Well, we chose to bring two children into this world and it is a decision I don’t regret. We do impress on them being responsible stewards of our planet’s resources. We figure we want to do wat we can to leave the place a little better for them if we can and having had children, feel a responsibility to do so - and not just in regards to the environment alone.

if you’re gonna go with solar, Mike, consider a hybrid hot water heater. Runs as a heat pump (very efficient in normal use) and as a resistive hot water heater under high load (heavy hot water use...). When our current oil-fired hot water tank goes, that is our plan.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I drive a truck getting 14 mpg and produces plenty of carbon dioxide for plants to feed on. Without it all plant life on earth would die, plants take in carbon dioxide and expel oxygen for humans to use. It is a win win for the inhabitants of earth.

I also use as much paper products as possible, so as to keep the forests properly trimmed back so as not to end up with the results we have seen in California of raging forests fires from overgrown poorly managed forests destroying property.
    Yeah if only they had had enough rakes.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I keep lots of stuff that might come in useful one day.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk