Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia's Facing an Unprecedented Ecological Crisis, But No One's Paying Attention

Default Australia's Facing an Unprecedented Ecological Crisis, But No One's Paying Attention

It started in December, just before Christmas.
    Hundreds of dead perch were discovered floating along the banks of the Darling River – victims of a "dirty, rotten green" algae bloom spreading in the still waters of the small country town of Menindee, Australia.
    Things didn't get better. The dead hundreds became dead thousands, as the crisis expanded to claim the lives of 10,000 fish along a 40-kilometre (25-mile) stretch of the river. But the worst was still yet to come.
    This week, the environmental disaster has exploded to a horrific new level – what one Twitter user called "Extinction level water degradation" – with reports suggesting up to a million fish have now been killed in a new instance of the toxic algae bloom conditions.
    The Liberal/Nationals management of the Menindee Lakes over seven years has been diabolical. You can't have mismanagement on this scale and do favours for big irrigators without wrecking the Darling River. This is a disgrace #nswpol @2GB873 pic.twitter.com/4896GCRJsM
    — Jeremy Buckingham 🌏 (@greensjeremy) January 7, 2019
    For their part, authorities in the state of New South Wales have only gone as far as confirming "hundreds of thousands" of fish have died in the event – but regardless of the exact toll, it's clear the deadly calamity is an unprecedented ecological disaster in the region's waterways.
    "I've never seen two fish kills of this scale so close together in terms of time, especially in the same stretch of river," fisheries manager Iain Ellis from NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) explained to ABC News.
    READ MORE AT.....
    Australia's Facing an Unprecedented Ecological Crisis, But No One's Paying Attention (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Australia's Facing an Unprecedented Ecological Crisis, But No One's Paying Attent

I was reading somewhere recently that Australia, with the increase of temperatures and drying of many parts of the country, will soon not be able to produce enough foodstuffs to sustain its population. Irrigation is both raising soil saline levels in many places and drying out the Murray Darling river system. Perth is heading for major water shortages as are several other cities, 50degC daytime temps are predicted in some places, and severe tropical storms are becoming much more common.
    California type wildfires have been happening regularly, just to add to the stress. Climate change is very real in Australia, and is having very severe effects.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Australia's Facing an Unprecedented Ecological Crisis, But No One's Paying Attent

I has been known for at least 40 years that Perth is in trouble over potable water, and the underlying water table was dropping fast even back then.
    The Murray/Darling river system has lost 40% of its stream flows in the last 20 years.
    Temperature records are being set every year in the inland regions and some may become uninhabitable for humans on the surface without technology.
    Westerly weather systems in the South have moved below Tasmania in my lifetime and in my own area, for this and other reasons the annual rainfall has dropped by 2/3ds also in my lifetime. Last year Victoria got 3/4 of the long term average.

But it's not happening, and if it is its nothing to do with human activity according to the right of our conservative political establishment.

Of course Australia has been drying out for at least as long as humans have lived here, some 50-60,000 years, and longer if geology does not lie. And quite rapidly in geological terms for that matter.
    Last edited by skuthorp; 01-09-2019 at 03:11 PM.

And then there are the bluebottle jellies—

Australian Jellyfish Swarm Stings Thousands, Forcing Beach Closings

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/w...jellyfish.html
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

That I believe has more to do with prevailing winds driving them inshore than climate change, unless of course, like where i live, the prevailing winds have changed direction.

Millions of fish the last few days, some amazing Murray Cod up to 100 years old. You can't replace them overnight. And we allow cotton farmers and coal miners to pump billions of gallons of water out of ancient acquifers. It can't last.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

We keep electing idiots who care about nothing except their personal wealth so we keep wrecking the planet with coal exports and our own environment through cotton farming, overgrazing and coalmining. NSW has basically two key rivers. One supplies the cotton industry, the other is a coalmine. The country is led by greedy fwits and the people are too stupid to care.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    That I believe has more to do with prevailing winds driving them inshore than climate change, unless of course, like where i live, the prevailing winds have changed direction.
    From the article:

"While the strong winds are not unusual for this time of year, the sheer number of jellyfish has led some scientists to wonder whether climate change might be at least in part to blame for the invasion, as jellyfish tend to thrive in warmer waters."

Idiots from both sides of politics...

I did a gig last month at MACU on long term fluvial supplies. Given paleorecords via LIDAR etc the long term effect of water theft is REAL!
    Last edited by purri; 01-09-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    From the article:

"While the strong winds are not unusual for this time of year, the sheer number of jellyfish has led some scientists to wonder whether climate change might be at least in part to blame for the invasion, as jellyfish tend to thrive in warmer waters."
    Well the waters are certainly warmer Chip. Irukandji, a much more dangerous one is on the move for the same reason.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environm...f-stings-surge

Out here, the farmers and former farmers and agronomists i sail with repeatedly mention climate change, so despite what Barnaby "Family Values" says it IS a concern to people on the land.

Our sailing club is benefiting but from the worst of reasons- Lake Keepit has basically dried up so they are coming up here to race.

There are very many farmers and many others very concerned about our environment and doing all they can to help but the people of Australia and NSW overall continue to elect politicians who have no care for the environment at all. The people of New England, i.e., most, elected Barnaby, knowing what an environmental disaster he is, and a complete prat.

Rick

Part f the present disaster that is the Menindie Lakes are directly attributable to Barnaby as water minister.

Sounds like Toledo to me.

Have I mentioned the Great Barrier Reef?

Not to stick it to you lot. We Yanks have our own share of eco/climate disasters.

Climate change is certainly real, but when the facts and figures on TV are all from the mouths of the environmentalists I can't help being skeptical. The report on the fish kill was disturbing- but the last big fish kill like that was a couple of years ago. And the Murray Cod the bloke said was a hundred years old- I've grown them to that size in farm dams in fifteen years. Earlier this week I overheard two old locals talking about the weather, and one said that he can't remember it being this hot and dry at this time of year ever. I keep weather records. The last time it was this hot and this dry was two years ago. And most years before that.
    And as for the bloody jelly fish- one of my daughters lives in Gladstone, about four hours north of Brisbane. The summers are stinking hot and she lives close to the water, but she and the grandkids can't swim there for the hottest six months of the year because of the jellyfish. Bummer. JayInOz

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The beginning of January was so bloody hot.

I'm sure its been as hot in January before, but so many consecutive days and so sustained.
    A usual thing on a hot day here on the south coast is an evening southerly to cool it all off. Never happened even once.

I'm sure the stats can pick out isolated examples of the same in days gone by, but that week or two of high heat was unusual to everyone i know.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

When I was a kid we lived near the then town of Orange- it's a city now. The temperature didn't get to a hundred degrees very often, but it did sometimes happen. It's years now since Orange had a hundred degree day. One thing about the heat though- the older I get the less I like it. Come to think of it- I don't particularly like the cold anymore either JayInOz

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

As a result of Global warming Ireland will get colder.
    The Gulf Stream, which currently keeps Ireland moderate in winter is predicted to switch.
    It'll probably dry the country too, as the copious rain is caused by the warm humid gulf air meeting the northern cold at just that point. No more emerald isle.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Better warn the Americans- gonna need a second wall JayInOz

Pretty much every scientific body on the planet agrees that the planet is warming rapidly and that the primary cause is overuse of fossil fuels. But everywhere you go, you find some ignorant know it all that knows it's all one big lie because it was hotter, colder, wetter, drier, whatever when they were growing up. In almost every case, it's someone who basically doesn't want to change anything they do because it's inconvenient. People in the fossil fuel industries are so pathetic. In just about every other industry where a product, role, whatever, goes out of date, becomes redundant etc., the people move on because they know there's no choice. It's time people in the coal industry woke up, actually saw and acknowledged the damage they're doing and worked towards becoming part of the solution instead of the problem.

Rick

There's a solar farm being built literally just over the hill from my place Rick. A lot of the steel frame work for the panels is in place. It's going to be bloody huge. And the newest wind farm about half an hour west of here is just about complete. I think it's only about thirteen turbines, but it all adds up. I'd like to go solar here, but I'd need a heap of panels just to run my water pumps- that plus the batteries are still too expensive. If I go solar it will be instead of being on the grid, not feeding back into it to save money. JayInOz

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I've planted 540 trees here so far Ian- 500 of them in the house yard. I want to be able to walk from the house to the shearing shed in shade all the way. Mind you, the amount of water I use to keep them growing is an environmental disaster in itself. But the transformation viewed from Google Earth is quite remarkable. JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 01-12-2019 at 01:46 AM.

More dead fish, further south now. Having some very hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    I've planted 540 trees here so far Ian- 500 of them in the house yard. I want to be able to walk from the house to the shearing shed in shade all the way. Mind you, the amount of water I use to keep them growing is an environmental disaster in itself. But the transformation viewed from Google Earth is quite remarkable. JayInOz
    It's worth reading some of Bill Mollison's stuff
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Temperatures across Aus at present are up to 12 degrees above normal for this time of year. Sea temperatures are rising at an unprecedented rate, and new figures on the depletion of Antarctic ice "Antarctica’s ice sheet is melting at a rapidly increasing rate, now pouring more than 200 billion tons of ice into the ocean annually and raising sea levels a half-millimeter every year, a team of 80 scientists reported Wednesday.The melt rate has tripled in the past decade, the study concluded. If the acceleration continues, some of scientists’ worst fears about rising oceans could be realized, leaving low-lying cities and communities with less time to prepare than they had hoped.
    The result also reinforces that nations have a short window — perhaps no more than a decade — to cut greenhouse-gas emissions if they hope to avert some of the worst consequences of climate change.
    Antarctica, the planet’s largest ice sheet, lost 219 billion tons of ice annually from 2012 through 2017 — approximately triple the 73 billion-ton melt rate of a decade ago, the scientists concluded. From 1992 through 1997, Antarctica lost 49 billion tons of ice annually." indicate many coastal cities and communities, and countries are in deep do-do.
    Locally, it's been 34c+ for two days, 40c tomorrow and the next day. This will likely undo 5 years work in our big garden, and kill quite a few older and sicker Australians.

I would love to say something positive here...but I can't think of anything.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Here's the paper...
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.7a3b42d6a5d0

Yes Gary, I think we're stuffed, and a damn sight quicker than was thought. Politics as usual and leave it to the grandkids to sort out is no longer an option, if it ever was.
    I remember reading once that the last ice age came on in as little as 15 years.

#26 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHA. The usual with the usual NPD agenda....
    Xanthorrea

Bill Mollison the "father of permaculture". His work is well respected, I thought.

Tributes flow in for permaculture 'father' Bill Mollison - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

As for Baaaanaby, I heard him interviewed on the subject and his closing statement after saying it was caused by drought not cotton farmers was when asked what advise he would have said people should go to church and pray for rain!
    Last edited by Hallam; 01-15-2019 at 05:16 AM.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    It's worth reading some of Bill Mollison's stuff
    I met him years ago and wasn't all that impressed. We had a Mollison convert here, he finally went a bit screwy and became a JW.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I doubt Mollison's ideas and techniques are suitable for industrial agriculture which is needed to supply cities. But a deindustrialisation of the supply chain and hopefully much less wastage would be good. Any system that rejects fruit because it's too large or has marks, or is knobbly, needs reforming and so do the attitudes of the customers.
    Today I have eaten apricots, plums, oranges, beans, snow peas, lettuce, celery, potatoes, herbs and strawberries from the garden.
    None of it would pass muster at the supermarket, but all of it tastes better. The freezes is full of raspberries and there's more produce coming along.
    But then I've got a few acres, enough for about 40 fruit trees in two orchards.

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    #26 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAHA. The usual with the usual NPD agenda....
    Gets you every time... poor sod.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Is this a potential fire risk?
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.