Thread: Advice on this Caledonia yawl...

Default Advice on this Caledonia yawl...

I'm going to view this CY over the weekend and wondered if anyone might have some comments on her.
    especially the deck layout as that seems different than most of the Caledonia's I've seen in research???
    She's apparently a home build.
    Not epoxy sheaved - is that normal or an issue?
    If I wanted to sheave her, would that be an issue on an older boat?
    Do you think it would add much to the weight?

all comments appreciated when looking for a 2nd hand CY

CY1.jpg

CY2.jpg CY4.jpg
    CY3.jpg

Default Re: Advice on this Caledonia yawl...

There would not be FG sheathing on a glue lap hull. It does look like a different layout. I guess it depends on price. Looks interesting.

Welcome! Seems you've been here a long time, but never posted.
    You mention "epoxy sheaved". I'm not familiar with the term. Do you mean epoxy sealed? Fiberglass the entire boat?
    Whichever, as long as you can strip the paint and have good, sound and dry wood, no reason you can't fiberglass.
    The foredeck should be no problem as long as the mast step was left in the original position.
    It looks like the boat has been left outside, uncovered. Check the inside very carefully for rotted or delaminated wood/plywood. Just because it might be dry now doesn't mean there is no rot. Is that a garboard drain plug I see in the last picture? That would be a good thing. Means that most rain water drains out.
    You'll make use of that outboard well. That boat would be a bear to row!
    Check the planking for any deformity from sitting on the trailer.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    There would not be FG sheathing on a glue lap hull. It does look like a different layout. I guess it depends on price. Looks interesting.
    I think that if Gadflyjack is planning on bumping her on rocks then sheathing the keel and garboard for abrasion resistance could be good.
    If the paint is in good condition, with no cracking evident, If it aint Broke don't Fix IT.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

in the images on my computer my eyes are seeing what could be a boat that was epoxy coated without being coated w/ a UV protective product over it(almost sublimation in result)

initially a good epoxy coating sure looks nice

UNTIL ole Mr SUN beams down on it :-O

if the wood is sound all you would be up against would be to completely scrape/remove ALL the old "bright" finish and do it over from scratch

the blue paint doesn't show(on my computer) need for much more than sanding and recoating

lap boats in our part of the world don't usually get glassed above the garboard

just another pair of eye's opinion

price WILL play a major part...

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

Looks good! Yes, that's an unusual deck arrangement.

Looks like it needs to go sailing more often.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

On the good side...

1. Is that an Indespension trailer with that blue stripe? Thats a very good make. Its gone a bit rusty in places, but the backbone of that trailer looks good. Replacing the wheel bearings, jockey wheel and U bolts nuts isn't very costly and you can paint it with Galfroid zinc spray to make it as new.

2. The CY is a good boat. Suitable for a family. Its a very good sailer and with the fore and aft overhang, a dry one. The foredeck arrangement isn't as drawn, but it's actually more seamanlike like that - any spray or rain water will drain off better, not into the boat. The coamings look a bit vertical - but that's good too and side decks will delay down flooding if you get pressed suddenly.

3. The rig - Gunter Bermudan with a mizzen? Is a good one, flexible, stays balanced under all reefs, stayed rig etc. All good.

4. The boat is in poor cosmetic condition internally but looks dry. If the floors and case logs are solid and firm, if you can see epoxy fillets around things, it may be all OK in the bilge - it could just be a good clean, sand and nice repaint that gets her looking her best again. The spars can be renovated too probably. Paint it cream with a green bottom below the waterline and the deck a buff colour, interior grey to reduce glare. Kind a like this...

There is probably a month or two of work there, best done in the summer when its not raining, there is sunlight in the evening and paints go off properly. She could also probably do with so buoyancy bags under the side seats also. The outboard well makes it quite flexible to use in different ways. For what he's asking (400?) its cheap. Its not a gold plater, but does have the makings of a very good dinghy cruiser. Its an advantage stepping into a boat with muddy feet if you aren't too precious over it! Definitely a possible, in good condition, after spending 300 or so, it would sell for maybe 2-3k. If the Ness Yawl your looking at is pretty mint for 2-3k, that would be big enough for two smaller children, but as they grow, the CY will be better.

If it's been sat neglected, it may have been left with water in it. Poke/ tap the keelson and the garboards, especially aft where water usually collects and make sure its not soft. Those are about the only two bits that would be a pig to repair/ replace.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-10-2019 at 05:32 AM.

I bought a used CY last year and continue to be impressed by how stable and seaworthy it is. Give your location and the price if you want better advice. You could coat the bottom in fiberglass but it will add to the weight.

take a drill gun when you inspect it so you can remove the floorboards to check the frames and inside for rot.
    Last edited by Thorne; 01-10-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Those props for the hatches need some sanding and varnishing....

I like that quite a lot! Really good mojo, but needs to be loved again.

One could fiberglass sheath the garboard strake if you expected hard groundings. It would not add enough weight to worry about. It would not be fun to do it now (lots of sanding) but would not be technically difficult. I simply epoxy coated mine (skipped the fiberglass) and then painted and it is fine after 8 years of trailer sailing but I don't beach it. If I expected to be beaching I probably would fiberglass the bottom strake.

Haha - yes those props defo needs work!!!

Thorne - Boat is near Dover in the UK - asking 400 without the trailer
    Good idea on the drill gun - thanks!

Edward - I'm not sure of the rig as yet, but that sounds bout right!
    I like the color scheme - ta!

Def plan to sail often, with kids and mates and also some overnight adventures. Lots of estuaries on the South Wales coast, but really heavy currents!!!

Rich - Thanks for the welcome - i joined ages ago when I started another project on restoring a 1936 gaff cutter - 25ft - so i guess i need to get some pics up of that!
    yup, i meant epoxy sealed.
    cheers for the advice on looking for plank deformity!

Peerie - good idea on sheathing up to the garboard - makes such good sense for a beach that has serious cockles etc!
    ta!

I guess my plan would be to go for this much cheaper, fixer upper if the hull is sound - Then learn my way around the rig mostly been a standard Bermudian rig man, so this will be an interesting departure, but I think this is spot on for a bit of teaching the kids to sail and adventuring in good weather!
    Once I know what I've gotten myself into, i can then think about refining what kind of boat for my needs (Unless I hit the nail on the head)
    and maybe start a self build - wooah - slippery slope

Thanks Scott - love the Mojo comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Gadflyjack View Post
    Haha - yes those props defo needs work!!!

Thorne - Boat is near Dover in the UK - asking 400 without the trailer
    Good idea on the drill gun - thanks!

Edward - I'm not sure of the rig as yet, but that sounds bout right!
    I like the color scheme - ta!

Def plan to sail often, with kids and mates and also some overnight adventures. Lots of estuaries on the South Wales coast, but really heavy currents!!!

Rich - Thanks for the welcome - i joined ages ago when I started another project on restoring a 1936 gaff cutter - 25ft - so i guess i need to get some pics up of that!
    yup, i meant epoxy sealed.
    cheers for the advice on looking for plank deformity!

Peerie - good idea on sheathing up to the garboard - makes such good sense for a beach that has serious cockles etc!
    ta!

I guess my plan would be to go for this much cheaper, fixer upper if the hull is sound - Then learn my way around the rig mostly been a standard Bermudian rig man, so this will be an interesting departure, but I think this is spot on for a bit of teaching the kids to sail and adventuring in good weather!
    Once I know what I've gotten myself into, i can then think about refining what kind of boat for my needs (Unless I hit the nail on the head)
    If you do get her, please take that half deck off, at least take the junk off of the fore deck.

asking 400 without the trailer

That's an excellent plan. Do it!
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Run and get it. Or instead, for that price you could buy the plans and maybe 1 sheet of good plywood......

What Scott said. At that price it is well worth it. You can deal with the odd bits like the foredeck deco later... ;-)
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

report back from viewing This weekend

Despite having 2 open drain plugs, She has been standing with minimal cover for a number of years at the wrong angle, so she's had enough water in to rot both gar-boards in a few large sections.
    I'm guessing replacing Garboards is a pretty big and tricky job -
    anyone done this before - any comments?

Besides that, the guwales are gone and the deck too, plus the starboard top plank has gone in places.
    So all in all, a LOT of work. such a pity, as the pics don't do her shape much justice and she's actually pretty

In the end i decided on a Ness Yawl in superb condition (Larch on oak) built at Lyme boat-building school. all round tiptop condition and ready to just go out and sail, which i decided was my priority!

i might still take on the CY as a winter project over the next few years if i can get her for cheaper, but maybe I'd just be better building one from scratch as that itch is going to need scratching soon

report back from viewing This weekend

Despite having 2 open drain plugs, She has been standing with minimal cover for a number of years at the wrong angle, so she's had enough water in to rot both gar-boards in a few large sections.
    I'm guessing replacing Garboards is a pretty big and tricky job -
    anyone done this before - any comments?

Besides that, the guwales are gone and the deck too, plus the starboard top plank has gone in places.
    So all in all, a LOT of work. such a pity, as the pics don't do her shape much justice and she's actually pretty

In the end i decided on a Ness Yawl in superb condition (Larch on oak) built at Lyme boat-building school. all round tiptop condition and ready to just go out and sail, which i decided was my priority!

i might still take on the CY as a winter project over the next few years if i can get her for cheaper, but maybe I'd just be better building one from scratch as that itch is going to need scratching soon
    Good shout on the Ness Yawl, and you are better building rather than patching up old plywood.

Without the trailer she's expensive firewood.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Sounds like you made the best choice. It's a shame the CY was let go so far.
    Looking forward to seeing pics of the Ness Yawl when you get her.