Thread: An amazing, but sad, post from the Model Ship World forum:

Default An amazing, but sad, post from the Model Ship World forum:

I just saw this amazing post in Model Ship World, the Nautical Research Guild's ship modeling forum. (The best one around.) A fellow passed away and his widow just posted this:

"My husband was a member of this. He passed away in November. I have all of his tools and other equipment. Also have 3 kits. I don't know it they are all there or not. Hate to throw this all away. If anyone wants it, contact me at dpever61@gmail.com. It is all free. I just want it to go to someone who can use it. There is also a large case he never used. Please, someone take these items. "

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php...9-spankydude1/

The guy lived in Ohio. I have no idea what the extent of "all his tools and other equipment" might amount to. His wife signed up in the forum for just this one post, but the amount of tools and equipment a lot of guys in the serious ship model building fraternity accumulate can be pretty extensive. Somebody's going to have one hell of a tool story to tell, I suspect. I sure wish I lived in Ohio!

What a wonderfully thoughtful thing for someone to do.

Lovely. Although maybe she doesn't know just how much he spent on all those tools over the years. Maybe someone will step up and offer her fair value.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: An amazing, but sad, post from the Model Ship World forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Lovely. Although maybe she doesn't know just how much he spent on all those tools over the years. Maybe someone will step up and offer her fair value.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

It appears he met my worst fear: That my wife will sell all my tools for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cleek View Post
    I just saw this amazing post in Model Ship World, the Nautical Research Guild's ship modeling forum. (The best one around.) A fellow passed away and his widow just posted this:

"My husband was a member of this. He passed away in November. I have all of his tools and other equipment. Also have 3 kits. I don't know it they are all there or not. Hate to throw this all away. If anyone wants it, contact me at dpever61@gmail.com. It is all free. I just want it to go to someone who can use it. There is also a large case he never used. Please, someone take these items. "

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php...9-spankydude1/

The guy lived in Ohio. I have no idea what the extent of "all his tools and other equipment" might amount to. His wife signed up in the forum for just this one post, but the amount of tools and equipment a lot of guys in the serious ship model building fraternity accumulate can be pretty extensive. Somebody's going to have one hell of a tool story to tell, I suspect. I sure wish I lived in Ohio!

What a wonderfully thoughtful thing for someone to do.
    I agree. I hope it goes to the deserving. I wish I had met this man and his wife. I bet they are very nice folks.
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

I'm in central Ohio, and could be convinced to help out with logistics, depending a lot on timing and location. If the widow is getting the $, I won't want much more than expenses. If recipient is 501c3, same deal.

The amount of ship model "stuff" that becomes availble after a modeller passes is incredible. I've personally gotten a model of the HMS Victory that was just started, a model of the Flying Cloud that was just started, a bandsaw, a router still unopened, and 2-3 station wagons full of model boatbuilding lumber (if anybody has use for a half dozen 1" x 6" x 6' basswood, or 2" x 6" x 2" basswood or walnut let me know).
    I hope I can put it to good use before somebody has to take care of it for me . . .

Harvey

Ahem. Having just finished my latest boat restoration and delivered her to the club for a Regatta, and then regular use I am cleaning/clearing house. I'm 76 in a week or two, the property may soon become too much of a task for us to manage and though we have another place to go most of the contents of my LARGE shed will not accompany us. Consequently much of my "that'll be of use someday'' collection will have to go. At present I am filling trailers with rubbish. Tools will not be so easy.

Wish me luck.