Thread: Adding A Forward V-hull To A Lumberyard Skiff

Default Adding A Forward V-hull To A Lumberyard Skiff

Hi all,

Iím building a Lumberyard Skiff and am finished with the basic boat. I havenít fully sanded it or painted it and plan to install decking...so Iíve still got work to do. However I was thinking about the possibility of building and attaching a Wooden V to the bottom towards the bow of the boat. in this concept I would not extend it all the way aft. This would (in my mind) be like a modified V or warped V Hull...sorta.

My inspiration comes from this thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...mberyard-Skiff but I wonder if I could achieve similar results with a different design. Iím thinking I would laminate solid wood together, cut and sand it to shape then epoxy (maybe glass too) it to death. It would certainly add some weight, but that may be a good thing in the bow of this tiller boat and I bet I could keep it under 50 pounds. Iíd also still install two stakes called for in the original design.

This sounds a little crazy as I type it, but Iíd like feedback on the idea. Would this reduce the pounding in chop noticeably? Would it create any handling, tracking or safety issues? I would install another 2x8 inside running perpendicular to the buttblocks that run athwartships.

I created a very crude template to show roughly what Iím thinking. Think of the template as the skeleton of my hull addition that would be one solid blob when Iím done. This template is about 5.5 feet long, 4.5 inches tall and 28 inches wide at the widest point. It looks like it would provide a dead rise of roughly 15 degrees depending on where you measure.

Thanks!!

B9C8B61B-CF17-4F89-8ECE-3C9347A052C6.jpg

61E7EAA5-5687-4B7C-A2ED-0A814CE28236.jpg

Default Re: Adding A Forward V-hull To A Lumberyard Skiff

Just finish the skiff and enjoy her. Later, if you come to understand what various V hull shapes do, you might build one. For example:

But just adding an ill-designed bit of wood to the bow will do less than putting bricks in the bow.

Hi,

I think it will just give you steering problems.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Dream crushers!!

Sounds like solid advice. Thanks for the feedback!

This

Went all of the way to the back. Was that what you were planning, or just the bow?
    Just the bow will not work, and we have no feedback from Fritz about how his modification performed.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yes, that is roughly what I was thinking.

The general goal would emulate something like these photos, where there is a v-hull bow flowing into a flat aft section. I didn't completely make this design up, but my version would obviously be deeper into uncharted territory

warped hull.jpg
    warped plane 2.jpg

My advice would be to take your Lumberyard Skiff out of the garage and enjoy it as-designed, then fill the garage with your next build project, a ply hull designed to be a vee-hull.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

There is no way that you can turn this
    into one of those
    Quote Originally Posted by bennettlo View Post
    The general goal would emulate something like these photos, where there is a v-hull bow flowing into a flat aft section. I didn't completely make this design up, but my version would obviously be deeper into uncharted territory

warped hull.jpg
    Without a lot of new framing, keel, forefoot and planking. You will be adding about 18'' of new boat forward.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I think you folks are right, I should just enjoy my boat and build another one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by bennettlo View Post
    I think you folks are right, I should just enjoy my boat and build another one someday.
    If you are looking for improvements on the hull, I'd consider adding lift rails for the reason Lou Sauzede explains here:
    http://www.totalboat.com/2017/01/13/...ng-lift-rails/

I planned on doing this, but ran out of time last season, and experienced exactly the phenomenon he describes. (Hopefully, I'll add them next season, but it would have been easier if I had done it before finishing.)

Thanks Christopher, I do plan to add those.

Once you get the LYS out of there, consider one of these:

https://www.devlinboat.com/wordpress...candlefish-16/
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Well, there's right and right. These guys are certainly right in that its always best to build a boat as it was designed for the purpose it was designed for. Never seen one but people who have built a LYS seem to like it. Personally, I don't like flat bottom boats that are going to go much faster than hull speed as they always like to jar me around too much in anything rougher than calm water.

On the other hand you already have the basic hull built and Arch Davis developed his Jiffy 22 to be built starting just about where you are now. He constructs a V bottom on top of the otherwise completely flat bottom hull. I think the idea was to make the boat easier to build as many (novices especially) think that building a V hull is harder than a flat bottom. People have built from his plans and seem to like them too. I think the easier build claim is largely illusory but it may get some to actually build a boat, which may not be not the worse idea ever. Then again, he redesigned the boat as the Jiffy V22 with a true V bottom which I am pretty certain is a better boat for choppy water than the original. Certainly its lighter and cheaper with less material in it.

The point is that you can do what you propose although it should be much more like the one Peerie Maa shows without the tunnel, which is a better solution. Performance of your mock up is unknown but most assuredly bad.
    Tom L