Thread: Sailing jackets advice

Question Sailing jackets advice

Need a light to medium weight sailing jacket.

• Hood to be removable and/or stored in collar.

• Zippered pockets

• Preferably fleece or micro lined (can be removable). Mesh lined at a pinch.

Which brand do you recommend?

What model do you recommend?

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Sailing jackets advice

I don't know how shipping is to your island, but take a look at what's available on ebay. Look at floatation jackets, boating jackets, fishing jackets, etc., see what's there. You can often find some pretty good older models and styles, brand new, unused at discount prices. I hate to suggest a brand or model because one man's sailing can be very different from anothers.

In the '60's I had a Stearns Float Coat which I considered light weight and suitable for cool summer night sailing with little foul weather. It was discarded over the years. Three years ago I bought the same model, new, in original sealed package for $35, shipping included. I don't know why and where it had been stored for 50 years, but I was happy with the purchase. There are some real foul weather jackets on ebay if you want more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    I don't know how shipping is to your island, but take a look at what's available on ebay. Look at floatation jackets, boating jackets, fishing jackets, etc., see what's there. You can often find some pretty good older models and styles, brand new, unused at discount prices. I hate to suggest a brand or model because one man's sailing can be very different from anothers.

In the '60's I had a Stearns Float Coat which I considered light weight and suitable for cool summer night sailing with little foul weather. It was discarded over the years. Three years ago I bought the same model, new, in original sealed package for $35, shipping included. I don't know why and where it had been stored for 50 years, but I was happy with the purchase. There are some real foul weather jackets on ebay if you want more.
    I'm heading to UK at end of month so would be able to get most brands.

Problem is the sizing. You don't really know how well they will fix until you try them on.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

If its just a " sailing" jacket, I would suggest one without a hood. A fleece lined baseball jacket serves this purpose for me. Not to heavy, not too light. Inner picket and zip close outside pockets.Collar zips up as a face mask of sorts.( Many makers of such). If its nasty, I reach for my foul weather gear, which is different.

Random grab from the web:

Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 3.57.30 PM.jpg

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Question: waterproof or water resistant?

I Ike a fleece line collar on my lighter jacket. Not quite sailing, Patagonia makes durable water resistant sports jacket with a taped weather zipper and has some reflective properties. I have come to love long sleeve windshirts, shirts that are thin and for technical movement. Often they have UV protections. Together a wind shirt and light jacket are quite comfortable. A fleece vest can be added if temps drops or when you feel chilled. Also an inflatable PFD fits comfortably over the light jacket.

This jacket system of mine works works well here in San Francisco where micro climates can turn the bay from frying pan hot to white caps, fog, and cold in 3 miles or 20 mins. Sun protection, keeping salt off the skin and minimizing chafe are nearly as important as staying off the chill.
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

I use a gill jacket all winter. It has a roll up hood that stores in the collar, it zips up to my nose with a Velcro cover it. The jacket is lined with nylon with an impermeable layer between the inner and outer. With a heavy wool sweater beneath it, it's all I need till below freezing.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

One thing I learned is important is breathability. I had a cheaper jacket that wasn't breathable. Invariably sweat would build up on my shirt and be cold when it hit my skin. I got a breathable one and that problem went away.

As for hoods, I like the hood to fit properly so it will keep out the rain but not block my line of sight. A lot of jacket have hoods that don't fit right for a particular person.
    Will

Brands to look at in the UK:

Musto, Henri-Lloyd, Gill.

The Musto Mid Layer Gore-Tex Blouson might fit the case, about 270 in the shops.

I have one that is so old that it is held together by spinnaker tape with the zip tag made of seizing wire, which tells you how much I wear it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

When it's really wet and cold, I prefer a smock-style. The brand I have is Rooster and it's excellent, as long as it's cold. I find regular jackets, even expensive ones, are too clunky and water tends to get in somewhere. I wear a hat rather than a hood, or a wetsuit hood if it's really wet. For regular, rainy weather, I actually use a Ronstan or Gill dinghy smock most of the time.

Rick

When it’s really wet and cold I climb into a teddy and then into a bright yellow Henri-Lloyd dry suit.

Contrary to appearances, it’s really comfortable.

I have driven the car in it, hauling boats out, but I wouldn’t choose it to go shopping in.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Thanks for that tip.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Those dry suits look really good to me too.

Rick

Imhoff makes exactly what you want.

I swear by my Mustang floater whenever I am near or on the water. The only thing missing is the retro reflective tape. Refuse to travel around water without my own PFD.

Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

I have an Henri Lloyd Breeze jacket. https://www.atlanticriggingsupply.com/hellbrja.html

No fleece lining. I just layer up with a suitable sweater when needed.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

70's era Stearns float coats
    I had one as well. The beauty of that coat is the stiff insulation that cuts the cold wind on deck really well. It's warm. That stiff insulation also presents a hard "face" to water, shedding it off very effectively. That coat could really save your life, especially if you end up in the cold water for a spell.

Cool find.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Budget is a consideration.
    You really cannot beat Goretex - that stuff is magic.
    I have a full wet weather Henri Lloyd set which i don't wear often - and a 'shell' jacket, no hood, no lining and windproof more than rain proof.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.