Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aussies... a question.

Default Re: Aussies... a question.

Since abt 1974. BTW some of us do multiple calculations grain types in bushels, grains and pecks, apothecaries and jewellers measures to boot. Roods/ rods, poles, perches and chains plus fathoms and knots. Get with the programme eh?.

Not counting Thames, saltwater and freshwater tonnages, short tons, long tons and tonnes. Volumes in Gills and hogsheads etc.

My ancient school books have to conversion ffactors (in Welsh and Latin)
    Last edited by purri; 01-10-2019 at 08:40 PM.
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by purri View Post
    Since abt 1974. BTW some of us do multiple grain types in bushels, grains and pecks, apothecaries and jewellers measures to boot. Get with the programme eh?.
    Apothecaries. Had to look that one up. I thought you guys called them 'chemists.'
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Don't worry, no one except Purri calls them apothecaries ... Chemist is the usual but pharmacy and pharmacist seem to be taking over.

We used imperial measures until the 1970s and metric measurement has been phased in since then. All sorts of things are still commonly stated, if not actually measured, using the old measures, but most things now are metric. Boats are commonly referred to by length in feet, wave heights (although that seems to be disappearing), some building materials, the weight of babies (probably to impress grandparents), waists and the height of people. But all of these are becoming less common. A lot of young people really have no idea what any of the imperial measures are.

Rick

Indeed, it's fun asking someone younger than 15 what an inch is....a mystery.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Uccello
    I have no idea what you look like, purri, but having seen The Big F's pic my money is not on you running off.

^ Italian regional slang for one who is an obvious... Capisco? ( Angry and others know me.)
    Xanthorrea

In primary school exercise books there were the lists. BTW they were in occasional use at USYD Dept Pharmacy when I worked there in 1965
    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Don't worry, no one except Purri calls them apothecaries ... Chemist is the usual but pharmacy and pharmacist seem to be taking over.

We used imperial measures until the 1970s and metric measurement has been phased in since then. All sorts of things are still commonly stated, if not actually measured, using the old measures, but most things now are metric. Boats are commonly referred to by length in feet, wave heights (although that seems to be disappearing), some building materials, the weight of babies (probably to impress grandparents), waists and the height of people. But all of these are becoming less common. A lot of young people really have no idea what any of the imperial measures are.

Rick
    Xanthorrea

^ Italian regional slang for one who is an obvious... Capisco? ( Angry and others know me.)

Yes, I wonder what the big one thought would happen if you met that would (according to him) make you run. Was he going to threaten you with violence? Surely that is the province of a would-be bully and thug- "would be" because a bully with a body that has gone to seed like that is not really going to be able to scare many men.

I think the US still leads the obesity race but we're tryin' real hard to ketchup.

Rick
    You guys are still ahead, but was this picture taken in Hervey Bay QLD, or in Macon Georgia?

IMG_0409.jpg
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

We loved breakfast in a some of the cafes!

IMG_0379.jpg

Catastrophically, seconds after taking this picture and while attempting to cut a nice bite size of toast/egg/bacon, one of the fried eggs fell to the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    We loved breakfast in a some of the cafes!

Catastrophically, seconds after taking this picture and while attempting to cut a nice bite size of toast/egg/bacon, one of the fried eggs fell to the floor.
    No BBQ sauce or Vegemite?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

you sure 'ies' is a common suffix?

'a' and 'o' always struck me as the norm.
    Names especially always get contorted to accomodate an 'O' at the end.

My son Eoin (one Irish spelling of the equivalent Welsh Owen) is simply reduced to a single letter 'O'.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

dunny
    stubby
    undies
    durry
    sunnies
    blunnies
    boardies

yeah, there are a few. Trying to think of more ......
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Vegemite.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    We tried it...

32uAPLyxTtGaoxPxdtLPlA.jpg

It's obviously an acquired taste.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    You guys are still ahead, but was this picture taken in Hervey Bay QLD, or in Macon Georgia?

IMG_0409.jpg
    Dreadful, isn't it? Has to be in Australia for that brand of tent.

Rick

Dreadful, isn't it? Has to be in Australia for that brand of tent.

Rick
    It was just the one vendor. I'm guessing leftover inventory.

The Federal electorate of that region voted 70% PLUS against Federal emancipation of blackfellas at the 1967 referendum. The sentiment prevails as it does in many parts of Oz. Numbers of southern US cotton farmers emigrants came to OZ in the 1960s to escape the "phenomenon" , notably settling around Moree, Wee Waa and nearby. National TV has archival interviews etc. Rural resentment against equity and equality runs deep.
    Xanthorrea

Res ipso loquitur > UOTE=Chris249;5781667]Yes, I wonder what the big one thought would happen if you met that would (according to him) make you run. Was he going to threaten you with violence? Surely that is the province of a would-be bully and thug- "would be" because a bully with a body that has gone to seed like that is not really going to be able to scare many men.[/QUOTE]
    Xanthorrea

I'd love to hear BF try and say 'La vafancuola perpetua'.
    I think I'd cry with laughter too. Prolly wouldn't run away. It'd be more of a rolling around on the ground motion.

You on hols at the moment? Lunch and a chortle on cultural matters re work?
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    A quarter pounder.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk
    Aren't you on the metric system?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Aren't you on the metric system?
    US franchise marketing Jim.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Let's face it that your international grasp of languages much less those original ones in OZ is nonexistent thus you bluff. Grosso persono, molto mosci...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    A real internet "hero". Same to you... with one exception. I'd be prepared to say it to your face and watch you run off and cry.
    Last edited by purri; 01-11-2019 at 11:20 PM.
    Xanthorrea

I do admit it is an easy target, though somewhat a pretentious colonial with neo liberal aspirations. In short large on rhetoric, short on results QUOTE=gypsie;5781769]I'd love to hear BF try and say 'La vafancuola perpetua'.
    I think I'd cry with laughter too. Prolly wouldn't run away. It'd be more of a rolling around on the ground motion.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by purri; 01-12-2019 at 02:02 AM.
    Xanthorrea