Thread: Port of Amsterdam - Timelapse SAIL 2015

Default Port of Amsterdam - Timelapse SAIL 2015

Default Re: Port of Amsterdam - Timelapse SAIL 2015

CRAZY!!! But beautiful!

I thought it was very interesting seeing that many boats of all types moving at the same time.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The idea of dedicated lanes and traffic lights doesn't seem absurd.
    Cool video, thanks for sharing.
    Philip K. Dick — 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

You should see the people! It attracts millions and is difficult to get on trains. The tall ships truly are rockstars in Amsterdam.

That video is fun but a bit too frenetic for comfort. Seeing the parade in real time would be great!

Jeff

Thanks....beautiful and fascinating. And i thought the strait of malacca was busy.

Hello, I am new to the Forum, living in the Netherlands and by chance this thread starts just ( almost ) as I register here.

The Tall Ships event is held every five years and from personal experience of my own visits over the years, and most recent the 2015 of the thread, I can highly recommend to visit . Even if You are on foot, where is the most crowded.

The next Sail Amsterdam is August 2020, 12th thro' 16th inclusive.

Though held only every five years there are similar events in the intervening years, for example in Den Helder and a Tall Ships regatta in Den Haag this year. (2019). - Being new here I'm not too sure of pasting links into my post (promoting an event), so will suggest a search of "Sail Amsterdam" or Tall Ships Network will furnish the reader with much more detailed information.

I am in no way connected with any of these events other than as a visitor and on foot at that too . Though hopefully by 2020 I'll be fully afloat, hence and therefore my joining the woodenboat website forum ( and other sail related forums ).

Bryan , aka Fíréan

edited to correct typo errors.
    Last edited by Firéan; 01-15-2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: typo errors corrected

^ Hi, and welcome to the forum.

So, how will you be getting afloat?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Bryan,

Welcome, Many years ago I stumbled onto a Tall Ship regatta in Haarlem. It was wonderful, with a lot more of the small "platboddems" that the Netherlands is so well known for. A listing of these smaller shows would be of great interest to us. Sail Amsterdam must be experienced, but it is so large and the huge crowds are a drawback. The small show was intimate and fun, great boats, people singing shanty and the boat owners were very friendly. Set me on a quest to learn more about these relatively unknown (to us) boats.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    ^ Hi, and welcome to the forum. So, how will you be getting afloat?
    Thank You for Your welcome and in answer to Your question ; I have no idea. Yet, to keep it short and not go off topic high-jack the thread, I've known for decades how not to get afloat so change is required. Better any start than no start and when you got the itch you gotta scratch, so i'm starting from scratch. Though the idea was already in the head, visiting the good people of the Bel Espoir and Rara Avis, project from Brittany, at one Tall Ships event , Amsterdam, greatly inspired me and taught to me that sailing is not all fibreglass sail yachts and hurray henrys and henriettes on the Hamble. That's the short version. Bryan, aka Fíréan.
    Last edited by Firéan; 01-18-2019 at 05:33 AM. Reason: attempting to create paragraphs in my post for easier reading ; not working

I was in Amsterdam for SAIL a few years ago. Here's the view from the water.

The video is kinda hectic, but in reality, it was utter controlled madness on the water. I kept waiting for a major accident, but it was all pretty smooth.

I wrote an article about it at ThreeSheets NW.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/