Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Used guitar prices can be quite a shock

Default Re: Used guitar prices can be quite a shock

I bought a damaged Martin D-18 (made in 1970) with my income tax
    refund when I was in grad school in Colorado - price, $200

I gave it to one of my kids.

It now appears to be worth quite a bit.
    I just played one the other day. A 1973 with a $1,600 price tag on it. Nicely aged wood, components and finish

It needed frets, a nut and probably a bridge. Also, a set up.

Played a $700 Martin with a fake wood ( " Richlite") board that played like a dream and boasted equal sustain and warmth and right off the rack had better intonation.

Funny thing is, I still WANT the old one more. For no good reason--or for intangible and emotional reasons and reasons of vanity.

The silly prices are the same for coins or stamps or any collectible in that most of the, "value," comes from the fact that collectors, "value," them.

Kevin

EDIT: I meant to add that the " classic " guitar will hold its value, meaning I could probably sell it in three or five years for close to today's purchase price. But the new, $700 git probaly wont fetch $500 in three years.So, there is the resale component of value to be considered as a tangible.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    What continues to stun me is how good even quite cheap guitars are today - and how capable modelling amps are .
    This.

As nice as it would be to own a rare or collectible instrument I'm more interested in finding the cheap guitars that no one wants but are actually very much worth owning. Like this LP copy by Jay Turser, a cheap guitar that plays like a much more expensive guitar. For the price of a real Les Paul, I could buy this JT and have money left over for a Strat, and a Tele, and an amp. Or two. And probably even another couple of guitars.

Nosce te ipsum

I have become a huge fan of anything made by Godin (including Norman, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and more). They are a Canadian brand with great quality control and unbelievable quality for the price. Exchange rates often make them an even better deal for buyers in the US or UK. I've owned three of their instruments and would not hesitate to buy more.

What are you doing about it?

I easily understand the appeal of the 'collectability' of vintage guitars.... and it appears that Todd Bradshaw has made quite a business out of them.

However, I've been pretty impressed with the reviews of various clones and knockoffs of well-known guitar styles, at remarkably cheap prices. Strat and Les Paul look-alikes can be had for a few hundred dollars or less, and I've seen reviews which argue that they are remarkably good. Even the $140 Telecaster knockoff I bought about ten years ago is a pretty decent guitar.

Possibly even better: kit guitars, for insanely low prices. The Hofner bass kit I bought cost me only a little over $100, and the result is remarkably good. It took me a week or so to apply a number of successive coats of TruOil for the finish on the body and neck, but the rest of the assembly was basically just a screwdriver operation, and it's a great bass. I've seen Strat, Tele, Gibson SG, 'Les Paul' style, etc. kits going for around $100 or so... and you can customize them to your heart's extent. Admittedly, the components in the kits are 'low end',m but you can always upgrade them.

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

^ That's nice Norman well done!
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Coming back to my #8.
    I suppose the UK market is different, and comparisons are difficult, but my experience suggests that dealers are offering ridiculously low trade-in prices, and selling used instruments for not much less than new ones. For example, I was offered 450 in one shop and 500 in another for my pristine, unmarked USA blonde Tele. The shop offering 450 has a brand new one for 1379 and a used one with dings and scratches for 1199. Both have standard pickups, mine has Custom Shop pickups. Seems like a pretty steep mark-up. I walked away.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

That's pretty much standard procedure. Shops want to make a similar mark-up on used instruments to that which they make on new ones, or even more if they can. I always sell through eBay with payment via PayPal. The eBay process and the packing and shipping are a bit of a hassle, but the dollar figure is much better once the transaction is completed. The only trick is that you need to know how to compose a good listing which clearly shows the product and explains its details well. The listings where the guy has a crappy, blurry picture he shot with his phone and listed at almost midnight so that the auction will end late night are the prime cruising grounds for buyers like me. Poor ads generate poor traffic and can constitute good bargains for people who know the products and the market reasonably well.

I think I've bought around 20 guitars and seven or eight amps since I started actively trading them a while back. About five of the guitars were from dealers, where I was looking for something specific and could get them at a reasonable price. The rest were all undervalued eBay auctions and anything I later sold was sold on eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    That's pretty much standard procedure. Shops want to make a similar mark-up on used instruments to that which they make on new ones, or even more if they can. I always sell through eBay with payment via PayPal. The eBay process and the packing and shipping are a bit of a hassle, but the dollar figure is much better once the transaction is completed. The only trick is that you need to know how to compose a good listing which clearly shows the product and explains its details well. The listings where the guy has a crappy, blurry picture he shot with his phone and listed at almost midnight so that the auction will end late night are the prime cruising grounds for buyers like me. Poor ads generate poor traffic and can constitute good bargains for people who know the products and the market reasonably well.

I think I've bought around 20 guitars and seven or eight amps since I started actively trading them a while back. About five of the guitars were from dealers, where I was looking for something specific and could get them at a reasonable price. The rest were all undervalued eBay auctions and anything I later sold was sold on eBay.
    I have sold quite a lot of stuff on eBay, mainly books, music CDs, hand tools etc. I have also sold wind instruments, a cornet, a flugelhorn, a trumpet and a flute, but I have baulked at the hassle of shipping bigger stuff like guitars and amps. Looks like I will end up going down that road though. I find that wind instrument dealers tend to offer much better trade-in rates than guitar dealers. Perhaps they realize that the smaller wind instruments are easier to ship than guitars etc. so are more likely to be offered on eBay.

I've been playing this one all afternoon. (Got a bit of a Tour lined up.)

Very battered, but sounds great, particularly in DADGAD tuning. Huge rich bass. And all the dings are MINE -- my DNA is truthfully in the wood. Plus the patina of hundreds of performances (thousands?... I don't know) in some scrappy weird old places. And recorded 3 of my Albums.

Simon and Patrick, bought new in 1994 for $1100.

IMG_3611 (2).jpg

IMG_3612 (2).jpg

And not for sale.

Stagg.
    Cheap guitar!

Nosce te ipsum

Their Tele sounds pretty sweet too. It's even cheaper than ^ that one.

Nosce te ipsum

Oops!
    It's customary for a new player to buy a guitar and amp for every chord they learn, right?

Fender Frontman 15G and a JT-220cs. It came with a gig bag, a nice 15ft cord, 2 sets of strings, and a leather strap.

Seventy-five smackers!

At this rate, I should have a full-on recording studio by June.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 01-12-2019 at 11:06 PM.
    Nosce te ipsum

That's pretty easy these days and not all that expensive. Mine is done on this Korg laptop-sized 16 track deck (256 virtual tracks, so you can have pretty much as many as you want if you do some mixing down). I bought the deck used off of eBay and it wasn't all that much (something like $300). You can also get boxes which will allow you to plug guitars or microphones directly into your computer and use recording software for the "deck". Quality-wise, they're actually better than any professional studio we ever recorded in back in the day, including Elektra Studios in L.A.

DSCF0291a.jpg

These sample clips were all recorded by multi-tracking in my office on the Korg. On the first one the vocal tracks had to be timed very carefully - my wife was mowing the lawn and I had to pause whenever the lawnmower went past my office window.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ive87qxep9...tring.mp3?dl=0

^ Very nice Todd, thanks.

Talking of budget guitars. Has anybody owned a 'Young Chang' guitar? I went to a music shop near Edinburgh back in the middle 80s, and they had a big display of Fender style guitars, with 'Young Chang' on the headstock. They were so cheap I couldn't believe it. 125 for a Telecaster and 140 for a Strat. A low end Fender back then would have been around 400 - 500.

The story of the company seems to be a bit confused, The marketing blurb said that Young Chang, who are based in South Korea, were major players in the manufacture of Concert Grand Pianos, and they had a lot of quality tonewood surplus to requirement. A Korean luthier who had worked for Fender, alongside Leo Fender back in pre-CBS days, proposed a collaboration where Young Chang financed a guitar factory for mass production of Fender copies. A variation on this blurb is that Young Chang were the manufacturers of Squier guitars and basses for Fender at the time, and they had some licencing issues with Fender because they named their own brand guitars 'Fenix' with the same lettering as 'Fender'. Seems they make a decent range of acoustic guitars these days under the Fenix name.

Anyway, I bought a Telecaster on the day, thinking I could just keep it open tuned for bottleneck playing. But when I got it home and started to play it I realized it was actually very good, and I used it as my main guitar for a couple of years. You sometime see Fenix 'Fenders' on eBay really cheap, but I've heard that the ones that have 'Young Chang' on the head are more desirable, although they are probably identical.

The latest impressive micro-studio recorders I've seen come from Zoom. I have the R8, the 2-in, 8-track version, but the R24 (8-in, 24-track) isn't much more expensive. Doubles as a USB input device, mixer, and control surface for your digital audio workstation, and includes effects and a sampler/beatbox for creativity anywhere. Oh, and the built-in stereo microphones do a great job of capturing rehearsals and the like.

It is an utterly astonishing piece of kit at the price point: $400 CAD at L&M, and back in the day I would have happily paid three times as much.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/16597/P...er-Sampler.htm

I bought a Tokai copy of a Gibson SG a few years ago for 200 quid . Seymour Duncan bridge pick up. Naughty guitar, sounds incredible and one of the most tonally musical guitars I've ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I bought a Tokai copy of a Gibson SG a few years ago for 200 quid . Seymour Duncan bridge pick up. Naughty guitar, sounds incredible and one of the most tonally musical guitars I've ever played.
    Tokai guitars are excellent. They used to make a very good Gibson 335 copy which was well reviewed in guitar magazines.

Reminds me of my Tradition LP knockoff. Heavy like an anchor, but sustain for weeks and great tone. I put a Stetsbar on it and it just rocks.

This little Korg is on my wishlist and if I see it on sale or find a clean used one, it'll be coming home. Not that I'd be saving all that much, brand new this is only $200.

Nosce te ipsum

Decapitation awaits the Fender once I find some decent speakers and build a mini cab.

Nosce te ipsum

We expect you to be playing along with them by Presidents' Day, Dryfoot

Jeff C

So you're saying l need a nylon now?
    Nosce te ipsum

Her solo is amazing!

Nosce te ipsum

They are fun to watch!

Jeff C

Have I mentioned that I have a Martin Ukulele? It' in sad shape--the family who owned it gave it to their young kids to play with, but it appears to be restorable. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    I have become a huge fan of anything made by Godin (including Norman, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and more). They are a Canadian brand with great quality control and unbelievable quality for the price. Exchange rates often make them an even better deal for buyers in the US or UK. I've owned three of their instruments and would not hesitate to buy more.
    Same here. I've owned 3 and recorded all my albums with their guitars.

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Have I mentioned that I have a Martin Ukulele? It' in sad shape--the family who owned it gave it to their young kids to play with, but it appears to be restorable. Any suggestions?
    Sad shape?

Nosce te ipsum

^ Trigger!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Originally Posted by Flying Orca

I have become a huge fan of anything made by Godin (including Norman, Seagull, Simon & Patrick, and more).
    I played a " cheap" Seagull last year ( 301 model, maybe??) Sounded and played great.

Kevin

Decapitation awaits the Fender once I find some decent speakers and build a mini cab.
    Bite the bullet and buy Baltic birch plywood to make the cabinet. It's fantastic stuff to work with. The last one I did, I switched to water based contact cement for bonding the tolex vinyl skin to the ply. It is drastically more pleasant to use than the old stinky style of contact cement. You can also buy all the hardware like handles, corner protectors, etc. from eBay or a few other places.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Bite the bullet and buy Baltic birch plywood to make the cabinet. It's fantastic stuff to work with. The last one I did, I switched to water based contact cement for bonding the tolex vinyl skin to the ply. It is drastically more pleasant to use than the old stinky style of contact cement. You can also buy all the hardware like handles, corner protectors, etc. from eBay or a few other places.
    That looks great. I will be using birch ply. I've used those water based contact adhesives before, great stuff, I much prefer them to the nasty solvent based type.

Any cab I build will be one that would also be used with a future tube amp head, I just don't know which one yet. For the time being I've ordered a Celestion Eight 15, which will cure some of the problems with the Fender. I'm going to swap it for the stock speaker and keep an eye out for a deal on 3 more. I'd like to be able to make a 4x6" cabinet but it just doesn't look like there are any good speaker options below eight inches.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 01-14-2019 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
    Nosce te ipsum

I run the twelve strings through Vox Super Mini Reverbs, which I have two of. The heads are basic plain Jane solid state, fifteen watt amps with tremolo, reverb and gain. They're not much for great and adjustable overdrive sounds, but work very well for clean stuff from the twelves, and despite their low wattage, they can be quite loud. One cabinet has a pair of 10" Celestion Greenbacks, the other has four eights in it. I tend to like the eights better. They're a little brighter. The cabinet for the 4x8" model is about 20" square and 9.5" deep with a sealed back side. That for the twin tens is 16" x 22" x 9.5" and also a sealed back. With the Rics, I can also run stereo into both at once.

Whenever I think I should be playing through something more impressive, I just crank them up and remind myself that I've had and sold some pretty impressive guitar amps (Roland JC120 and a couple of tube Traynors) and ended up selling them because they were way overkill, power-wise for what I was doing. We used to play 2,000 seat auditoriums with the guitar players using Twin Reverbs or Super Reverbs and not running them through the PA system. I certainly don't need that for my office, so I'll stick with my mini-stacks. I'm not a very good six string player and certainly not a lead guitarist, so I don't really have much need for a really sophisticated guitar amp - just something that does clean chime well. For recording, I usually run any guitar or bass through my big Traynor Tube bass amp head and directly into the recorder with no speakers involved.

Here are the Mini Stacks. If I had cash to burn, I'd hire somebody like Pipefitter to make me a pair of those chrome tubing VOX tilting amp dollies like the Beatles used to have, just because they would be incredibly cool in miniature.

smrs-008b.jpg

^ Nice! They would look even better on chrome stands.
    ( I can't be the only one hemorrhaging cash )

Ok, I'm finding that used guitar amps prices can be quite a shock too. It really doesn't seem to matter if it's a highly regarded amp or not.

I'm wondering how close modeling software comes with amplifiers and speaker combinations. Can you use something like AmpliTube and get a reasonable idea of what the real thing sounds like, or is it just going to be a loose approximation?
    Nosce te ipsum