Thread: Shantyboat Build

Default Shantyboat Build

I have launched a highly modified Lisa B Good by Paul Browne and know I need to "pay it forward" and post what pictures I have for all the inspiration I have taken from others. It was the easiest boat I have built (my third to keep it in perspective) and might be the best bang for the buck since I will be able to use it so much in Lake Powell, a place that has been dear to my wife since she was a child. Please no screams of "Hayduke Lives."

One of the modifications I made were to stretch the hull 4 feet. This gave me a 12' vs a 9' cabin and an a bit more front deck (or porch as it keeps getting called). I dropped the cabin floor but increased the longitudinal stringers. Doing this did not require more wood as the wood not needed because of the lower floor roughly equals the additional stingers. Following pictures will do better to explain it. This brought the hull weight a little lower and made the hull pretty stout. I did not try to save any weight in building the hull, figuring anything down low would just add stability.

I started the build in Sept. of 2017 and launched it on a cold but beautiful day 12/16/18. Of course a boat is never finished, but a lot still remains to make the interior complete. I wanted to use it a bit first before I made any final decisions, since nothing reminds you of your needs like living in it a bit. We spent a week on it over the Christmas break and I have a clearer head on what I need.

So I guess I should figure out how to start posting pics.

Launching.jpg

Default Re: Shantyboat Build

These are the pics of the stringers. On all the dimensional lumber I used DF, albeit big box store lumber, but I made many trips trying to find better pieces. I did not like how the plans just stacked 2- 2x8 stringers on top of each other without any other joinery besides glue. Instead I opted to use 3 2x6's. This gave me a couple inches more freeboard and let me drop the floor lower. I also ran a 1/4" router along the lengths. I cut some meranti ply to run a continuous "biscuit" joint. This not only added a lot of strength but helped me align the 20' pieces, though I will tell you it was a small battle getting them clamped.

Stringer biscuits.jpgStringers 3.jpg

Watching.

I stacked all of them together and faired them true to each other. I also notched them out for framing. You can see the dropped portion for the floor. The additional stingers are the shorter ones. Definitely overbuilt, but I was not concerned about weight down low.
    Stringers 3.jpg
    Then it was a matter of keeping everything square while I framed the rest. Seemed like a simple task, but required several come-alongs and twisting things into place. In the end I won, though I will confess there is a slight twist that I know about. Things you live with and I kept telling myself what I told my wife, it's a simple build and won't take long, and so I dispensed with perfection and got things done.
    Hull1.jpgHull6.jpg

And then sheathing. I used acx, nothing fancy here, knowing it would be well glassed and epoxy coated inside. I glassed the whole thing with 14oz biaxial cloth. The overlap from the sides mean that the chines are 28 oz. thick. I filled the weave and sanded it down for paint, but not to well. Fish won't mind if it's not perfect and I painted it with Raptor two-part bed liner which covers a lot of imperfections. I am pretty happy with it, it's tough as nails and should wear well.
    Glassing.jpgHull Sheathing1.jpgHull sheathing2.jpg

Winter came and not much got done. I pre-built the walls in the garage, more on that later. When it warmed enough I trailered the hull to a friends work who had a boom fork lift. flipping it went really well. I don't have many pics of this, but I did post the process on youtube....... I am the good looking guy in the picture. I will let you choose which one you think that is. It's a bit slow to watch, but you can speed it up in settings to make it seem more exciting.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_iPVZ6o64

1/2 inch ACX, and what are those weights?

I never took any pics of building the walls, but you get the idea looking at it installed on the boat. It's framed on 2' centers with foam board in the voids and 45 degree braces at each joint. One side was epoxy bonded with ply. Way overbuilt and if I were to do it again I would only put framing where windows required it and just sandwiched two 1/4" ply with foam. Foam sandwich is ridiculously strong and light. At the time I was concerned about all the pounding it would take driving down the road and imagined it needing to be strong enough to support people, paddleboards, and kayaks on the roof. I realize now that I did not need to worry so much. It is strong.
    glassing sides.jpg
    Another mistake I made was sheathing the exterior with a really light 2.3 oz cloth. I have used it before applying it on flat ply, but trying to get it to "stick" to the vertical walls left a lot of spots that pulled away from the wall. It is just so light that it does not become saturated enough to suck up to the walls. I know a heavier cloth would have worked fine. I ended up sanding a lot of it off. I wanted to make sure it was waterproof to hold up to rain at 65 mph and time on the trailer. I was not worried about letting the walls breathe as you would in normal construction. Utah is so arid that I feel it will be fine, especially living on a trailer and not at a dock on the water. I ended up glassing the sides with leftover 14 oz cloth a little more than a foot high and then sticking ice and water shield roofing membrane on the sides. Again, overbuilt. The bain of budding shipwrights I suppose.
    exteror ice shield.jpg

And windows are vinyl 2 paned e-glass affairswindows.jpg. I wanted a lot of air and light, but knew they needed to be well insulated. Utah is either too hot or two cold it seems. I plan to eventually put reflective tint on the outside and safety film on the inside. Not exactly tempered safety glass, but a workable alternative.

A quick comment on the roof construction. The walls were held upright by placing 1.5x3" beams on 2' centers. I then put down 1/4 ply and placed 2" beams directly on top of the 3" beams for a total of 5". In the voids of the beam I placed 2 inch foam, then sandwiched it all with another sheet of 1/4 ply and glassed it with 6 oz cloth. It gives me a lot of insulation and, again, ply/foam/ply is so impressively strong. I routed out a rain drip groove around the perimeter to keep water off the sided in a rain. I did not put any curve in the roof as I knew people would be on it a lot and I imagined beverages and the like rolling off the top. Some of my friends can be careless. While it's trailered I keep the front inclined so water drains of both the roof and decks. Wish I had taken pictures of it all, but you can see the exposed beam on the inside with this pic.
    interior1.jpg

Very nice!
    She looks like a new take on a typical late 1800’s - early 1900’s Jersey shore houseboat.

After that it got painted with Glidden Porch and Floor oil-based urethane. It's getting harder to find quality paint without buying the expensive yacht stuff, but this is really good stuff. Don't tell, but I had to make a drive to buy it as I cannot get it in Salt Lake City. It even lists boat decks as one of it's application. Plus you have a full color pallette to choose from. I really wanted to keep it looking "shanty" but still wanted it to look nice. I chose to side it in cedar bevel siding. It looks great, lasts forever, only requires sealing occasionally which is much easier than painting, and it's so thin and light that I did not feel like I was adding to much weight.
    siding2.jpg
    On the starboard side the cabin extends to give me a separate head. I store the propane tank here and on our Powell trip I had a DIY composting toilet. I really hate portable heads, they always stink and I cannot tell you how much distaste I have in emptying other peoples excrement. Of course my own sh*t doesn't stink, as the saying goes. So the porta-potty in this pic was only for effect. Sorry it is not rotated. Either turn your head to the side or imagine having to go to the bathroom after a knock-down. I think if this ever gets knocked down I will need to use the restroom for sure. I left the bottom open for ventilation and drainage as I plan to put an on demand propane water heater fed off of lake water back there. I am pretty impressed with how well they work and it won't use any onboard water.
    exterior aft.jpghead.jpg

Just right.

So that's pretty much it without going into too many details. Things not mentioned, The forward center tank under the deck has a hatch which makes for a very large anchor well. I store 2 8lb danforths and 2 13lb danforths in there. When I anchor at a beach I run them at 45 degrees, bury them in sand, and sleep good at night. We got hit with some pretty hard and sustained winds for 24 hours the day after christmas and though the lines were tight, the boat did not move.

I put up a temporary galley and had an old RV stove/oven combo I had bought used. It was great being able to cook like I was home. It also heated the cabin well. On the subject of heating, I welded up a coal stove out of old propane tanks with an acetylene tank as the center burn chamber. I'll post pics. It would easily bring the cabin to over 100 degrees when the outside temps were below freezing. It felt wonderful to have fresh air coming in through the back windows while it stayed nice and toasty. Especially helped dry the socks after I found a hole in my trusty sorrels that I used to hike the canyon drainages in. I made a large horizontal flu run because I thought I would put a heat shield over it so it could be used for drying towels and such. This just ended up waisting space and I backed into it while getting dressed with a resulting brand to remind me. I will be cutting that part off and going with a straighter run. Should draft better anyways. I loaded the aft port under-deck with enough coal to keep us warm and we might have gone through 1/2 after a week. Definitely an economical way to stay warm. I promise to neutralize my carbon footprint by planting a tree or two.

I powered it with a Suzuki DF9.9 with a 4 blade 7 pitch trolling prop. I chose it because it is fuel injected, cheaper than most, and I have been impressed with Suzuki reliability from past outboards. It likes 5 knots. Much faster just sees more RPM with little speed increase. That seems about right for it's waterline. I have not filled the gas tank back up (12 gallons) but we travelled 50 miles and used a little more than a 1/4 tank. This pleases me. Gas milage while on the trailer was much, much worse . Maybe I need to read up on aerodynamics, but it doesn't take much brake to slow her down from freeway speeds.

The interior is not complete and after I take a break from the building I will start again on it. I have a much better idea about what is needed now. I will post some pics of our launch day and powell trip following all of this.

Gib, not exactly sure on the weight. I can tell you what okoume and aquatek 1/4 ply weighs, because if I am using marine ply I care more. Google says 1/2 DF ACX is 45 lbs. That seems about right.

Edit.......Just re-read what you had asked. The weights holding the ply down are old brake rotors and some scrap iron.
    Last edited by martysgone; 01-07-2019 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Congrats! And thanks for sharing!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Stove pics. The "burn chamber" is doubled walled, inside a acetylene tank (thick) and outside is a propane tank. The grate has a "arm" that comes down into the ash cleanout so that I can shake the ash. It's loaded from the top and it makes a great cook top as well.
    Attachment 29182Attachment 29184Attachment 29185

Hmmm, those pics didn't load. I will try again.
    stove1.jpgstove3.jpgstove4.jpg
    And in the boat
    20181224_182032.jpg

Powell over Christmas
    20181224_125927.jpg20181224_134443.jpg20181226_120629_HDR.jpg20181229_111729.jpg20181229_122846_HDR.jpg
    I'm really going to have to learn how to rotate some of these pics.

And one more comment worth mentioning to me. The trailer is all aluminum with a winch raised high enough so that I can launch and retrieve from the front deck. I ran the straps through a winch fairlead like you would see on the front of a bumper to relocate the winch higher. The bow pulls up against two spare tires that act as the bow stop. I can launch and retrieve the boat single handed without getting my feet wet. I was super pleased at how well this turned out.

She looks like a lot of fun for exploring places like that (beautiful!).
    I haven’t figured out how to always make sure my pics are always rightside up from my cell either.
    Last edited by nedL; 01-06-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Looks very nice. I really like the shanty boat idea. We camped at Wahweap in '93 and wanted to cruise Lake Powell, but renting a house boat was out of our budget. Now that we have a boat of our own it is in the planning.

Egbert

very nice job! looks like fun too.

jim

ejds, that's exactly the idea. I have summers off and want to slowly cruise the length with my wife and occasional friends. It's the most economical way to do it for sure, marina gas is over $5/gallon. Even though a grandma with a shopping cart could beat me in a race, I am expecting 10+mpg.

I would burn already a lot of gas trailering from Virginia. I figured that September - October is a good time. Which marina would be best for launching and keeping the truck and trailer parked?

Thanks,
    Egbert

EJDS, Because I live in Salt Lake, it has always made more sense to launch at Bullfrog. Both ends of the lake offer a lot, so you can't go wrong either way. Sept-Oct is a great time, the crowds are thinning and the weather is not so hot. The park has 14 day parking right above the launch ramp. I can't remember the cost, but it is reasonable. I want to say $30. We could not pay it this last time because they had the pay station closed on account of the government shut down.

If you ever find your way down, I would love to see your Blue Jacket. It is on the top of my list.

Thanks for the info. Bullfrog is just a couple of hours closer than Wahweap. I don't think it will be this year, hopefully next.
    I'll keep you poster, meantime have a lot of fun with your boat.

Egbert