Thread: Hooligan navy

Default Hooligan navy

What are the regulations on live-aboard slips? I know that each harbor is a bit different. Do you need a license to own a boat in a L-A even if you don't take the boat out of the harbor? Does the boat need "seaworthy" inspections every year? Are there time limits on L-A slips, or can you own them for life? Do people on waiting lists have a chance? What kind of insurance is required?

Default Re: Hooligan navy

Varies greatly from location to location, dependent on state, county, and city laws, as well as policies established by the marina's and their insurance provider.

Do you have somewhere specific in mind?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

It depends completely on the particular marina
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Yes, the Ala Wai harbor in Hawaii. I know each harbor has different requirements, but the harbor masters are appointed .

Quote Originally Posted by Hooligan navy View Post
    Yes, the Ala Wai harbor in Hawaii. I know each harbor has different requirements, but the harbor masters are appointed .
    Not necessarily. Depends on the marina
    Elect a clown expect a circus

????????????????????????

There are privately owned marinas, there are publicly owned marinas.

You pick the geographic loation you want and then you TELEPHONE specific marinas there. You ask them your questions and the answers will depend on what's currently going on at the specific marina. Websites usually don't have current availabilities, or there may not be a website. Often marina managers won't have time to answer hypothetical questions. Visiting marinas in person is the best way, but often the entrances are locked and the managers aren't always available. You might find local boaters and marina businesses with some tips. It takes some effort to find a spot that you might want.

Sounds like you are interested in Los Angeles. What size boat do you want to moor? What material is it constructed of? What condition is it in? Do you want to live aboard? Can you afford the rent? Sure you need insurance, marinas have all sorts of liability issues. Do you know of any state that doesn't require boat registration or alternative documentation?

So is L-A live aboard, or is it Los Angeles? You can see I took it to be Los Angeles?

Yes, the Ala Wai harbor in Hawaii.
    Your thread name is useless in targeting those who might know, and sparing those who don't. Anyway, the youtube RAN SAILING series depicted getting into a short stay slip there a few episodes back, and included having to demonstrate seaworthiness by offshore circuit, and filmed a required detailed inspection.

I crewed on a trimaran there years ago, and gathered the following impression. Yes, it is cheap due to populist politics, so openings are rare and facilities are ramshackle. They are always proposing a giant price rise and refurb. The police have no jurisdiction there, but rather DLNR(?) which has minimal manpower to call upon if you are a victim of a crime. I have heard of deadbeats who don't get kicked out, suspicious fires, but worst of all may be the water quality depicted below.

Here is an article on the very limited live aboard availability, the widespread abuse of their requirements, and (hooray) the occasional sweep ups of offenders https://www.civilbeat.org/2017/12/de...la-wai-harbor/
    it took him six years to get a slip at Ala Wai Harbor for his 42-foot sloop and another three years to get a live-aboard permit.
    Last edited by rudderless; 01-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.

Do you think that the Trans-Pac legacy is lessened by the state of affairs in the Ala Wai? I was there in the early 60's and the atmosphere was all about racing. Now I don't know. So much money is being spent on the train, it always seems to take away from the Ala Wai and the canal. It was once the jewel.