Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head instead of V-berth?

Default Re: Head instead of V-berth?

Head

in port the "head" is not essential, sailing is not necessary either,
    but it is essential to stay anchored in front of a beautiful beach

the two possibilities that I see are

(A) the classic solution (Golant Gaffer, Wanderer II, Wanderer III ...): the "head" in the head
    (B) the WC outside under an awning-tent

This

http://epure-sailing.over-blog.com/a...120759354.html

500 hours project at the end was a 1000 hours project

26 ft Gaff Cutter, Design #116a

Building time: 5000 hours ... Wow

I cruised a yr on the hook with fwd head on a 29'r. Also cruised a yr on the hook in almost the same size boat (H28) with v berths. We tied to a dock a few times to load and unload but never stayed overnight at any dock. Hands down my preference is v berths. It isn't even a close call for me. More livable space with v's and I could sleep out of the way when my wife moved around in the main cabin. Never had issues with feet hitting each other in any of my v berth boats but we are 5'7" & 5'8". We only did a couple 24 hr days sailing steady offshore each cruise and used either weather cloths (H28) in the main cabin or quarter berths (29'r). With the head fwd it also moved the main cabin furniture fwd if cooking aft...so motion in rough conditions is more lively in the main seating area...also making more need of quarter berths. Unless the boat is around 50' it would have to be very special for me to go with a fwd head again.

Amazing how much time and effort goes into siting such a little-used piece of furniture.

Marianita uses wag-bags, the next boat will need a real head though so I'm following along on all the head-related threads.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I have a nature's head in the bow instead of a v-berth. As shown in the picture, the main berth is just forward of the mast to port. I like it much better than climbing into a v-berth. The only issue with the natures head is it's height; my feet barely reach the sole so I've added a removable transverse foot rest for times when I need to bear down.

A961BD22-644C-4EC4-A860-A9DDE22EEF79.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottmacc View Post
    I have a nature's head in the bow instead of a v-berth. As shown in the picture, the main berth is just forward of the mast to port. .
    I really like this arrangement. May I ask the size of the length and beam? If the hatch is 18-24 inches wide, I'd guess about a 10 ft beam. If the berth is 6 ft long, I'd guess 32-35 LOD, assuming no aft cabin.

As to the fo'sicle, is the space on either side of the head fitted for storage, perhaps with shelves and lockers?
    Last edited by chollapete; 01-08-2019 at 05:52 AM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

We tend to eat a bit more meat when anchored in front of beautiful beaches.

"Bright Star" has an operational marine toilet and holding tank. The head is in an enclosed space that insures privacy if one is small enough to fit in the tiny cabin. No one has opted to use it in over twenty years as the Herreshoff Cedar bucket is much easier to use. We keep a full store of Wag Bags on board. No Catalina trout around our boat!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by scottmacc View Post
    I have a nature's head in the bow instead of a v-berth. As shown in the picture, the main berth is just forward of the mast to port. I like it much better than climbing into a v-berth. The only issue with the natures head is it's height; my feet barely reach the sole so I've added a removable transverse foot rest for times when I need to bear down.

A961BD22-644C-4EC4-A860-A9DDE22EEF79.jpg
    Wooooooow

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    I really like this arrangement. May I ask the size of the length and beam? If the hatch is 18-24 inches wide, I'd guess about a 10 ft beam. If the berth is 6 ft long, I'd guess 32-35 LOD, assuming no aft cabin.

As to the fo'sicle, is the space on either side of the head fitted for storage, perhaps with shelves and lockers?
    The boat is 32' LOD with 10'7" beam at it widest point. The plans called for cabinets/sink on each side of the head. I modified the port side one for a bench/seated shower. I don't have access to the boat currently. Here are a few pics before it was completed.

@scottmacc: Not sure if you intended and hope you don't mind, but I got to your entire album and skimmed through all thousand-some photos. I was interested to see a laminated, cold-molded hull of diagonal veneers over strip-planks.

I'm actually interested in the differences in weight and strength between carvel planking over frames vs cold-molded over forms and structural bulkhead. For instance, I think I recall that the Gougeon book mentions that cold-molded with strips followed by two layers of veneer runs about 2.2 pounds per square foot.

Anyway, I was wondering if you used stock plans, and if so, which, or if it was a custom design. And, what was the thickness of the planks and the veneers.

Really nice work. Exemplary, actually. Y'all deserve to be as happy as you look!

Thanks.

PS. I'm really curious why there were two different shops, one temporary and one permanent. Am at work and don't have time to puzzle it out properly.

Hi, thank you for you comments. I don’t want to sway this too far from your original question of a forward head. My entire build is documented here @ http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...eet&highlight=

The design is Kahuna, by Mark Smaalders, cold-molded of 1” thick western red cedar and 1/8” layers of Spanish cedar.

http://www.smaalders.net/yacht_desig...%20Designs.htm
    Last edited by scottmacc; 01-10-2019 at 05:12 PM.