Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Default Re: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Yup.

Peace,
    Robert

Default Re: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

No, I haven’t been affected personally. But, a couple of days ago I was landing at Chicago, fully enveloped in cloud, with other jets doing the same a few thousand feet either side of me. And to think the guy keeping us separated is working without a paycheck. I totally disgusted me.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    I totally disgusted me.
    for lack of a t
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

It, it,IT!
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    It, it,IT!
    Blame your IT department.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    So - if someone contracts to or works for the gov't they're just stupid? How about the employer being expected to hold up their end of the deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by beam reach View Post
    Can`t see your logic there ....

Just because some clowns in Washington don`t do their job and govern , the worker should expect not getting payed ?

You have a strange sense of fairness .
    It has nothing to do with fairness or stupidity. It has to do with people ignoring history.

People who take jobs should weight the risks of the job and demand compensation that covers those risks.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    It has nothing to do with fairness or stupidity. It has to do with people ignoring history.

People who take jobs should weight the risks of the job and demand compensation that covers those risks.
    So - anyone taking a job with the US gov't should expect to spend a few weeks working without pay every year? You're good with this?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

So - anyone taking a job with the US gov't should expect to spend a few weeks working without pay every year? You're good with this?
    It has nothing to do with me being good with it. It appears that many people are.

Just to correct you. The government employees are willing to work despite the risk of getting a late paycheck from time to time. People who work for non-governmental enterprises take similar or larger risks.
    Life is complex.

It has nothing to do with me being good with it. It appears that many people are.

Just to correct you. The government employees are willing to work despite the risk of getting a late paycheck from time to time. People who work for non-governmental enterprises take similar or larger risks.
    I prefer to work for people who honor their side of a commitment. Have I had customers get behind & ask for a little more time? Sure - but the gov't is a different thing. I'm disgusted enough with it as it is, I don't need another reason to be pissed off at it. Especially when it's over as stupid a concept as a 1700 (or whatever) wall.

I am a government contractor for the U.S. EPA and we were told to stop work on New Years Eve. I expect to be furloughed next week if the shut down continues. In contrast to federal employees, who are eventually paid for the shut down periods, contractors are not reimbursed for the work lost during a shut down. We don't work, we don't get paid.

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Palmer; 01-03-2019 at 09:58 PM.

My secret service agent cousin is working without pay (protecting the life of Trump). As are Customs and Border Patrol agents and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Tribalism is family and extended family.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

I prefer to work for people who honor their side of a commitment. Have I had customers get behind & ask for a little more time? Sure - but the gov't is a different thing. I'm disgusted enough with it as it is, I don't need another reason to be pissed off at it. Especially when it's over as stupid a concept as a 1700 (or whatever) wall.
    Then you should probably not work for the US government. There are enough who are willing to that your participation is not necessary. (That could be said about non-governmental enterprises also.)
    Life is complex.

Daughter, main support for her family, is out of work at the moment. Problem a deadbeat for president. Better than last time, when she was stranded in hut in Alaska during the winter. Made it home this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time
    Then you should probably not work for the US government. There are enough who are willing to that your participation is not necessary.
    Only suckers need apply.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Tribalism is family and extended family.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Only suckers need apply.
    No, no, no - it's how you get the best & brightest: come work for us & we'll pay you when we feel like it.

How many of the unpaid guys are still Trump supporters?
    The star in the playpen owns this one.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    How many of the unpaid guys are still Trump supporters?
    The star in the playpen owns this one.
    Indeed. In fact, he said right on international television that he's proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Only suckers need apply.
    While I am of the opinion that self employment is better, I understand many people think working for business or the government is adequate. No need for them to be either stupid or suckers.

Of course, some employees might blame the government shutdown for real or imagined personal economic effects. (I can play the game of leading others to make inferences.)
    Life is complex.

Diana my other half is visiting her youngest out Moab Utah, all the parks are closed, she had planned to see the Arches national Park and a few other things. She fly's back on Tuesday I going to send Trump a bill for the plane tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Diana my other half is visiting her youngest out Moab Utah, all the parks are closed, she had planned to see the Arches national Park and a few other things. She fly's back on Tuesday I going to send Trump a bill for the plane tickets.
    With the exception of Arches and Canyonlands, all Utah parks and public lands are accessible to travelers despite the federal government shutdown, though services are limited.

The only national park visitor centers currently open are:
    • Zion National Park
    • Bryce Canyon National Park

It seems like a long trip to not visit any place.

The 2 parks listed are nice. But there are all sorts of nice places to visit in Utah. Even Colorado is not far away. I could find stuff to do if the National Parks are closed. (I might have to options. We vacation out there in the Spring. Hope we have clear skies at Mesa Verde when we are there.)
    Life is complex.

[/LIST]
    It seems like a long trip to not visit any place.

The 2 parks listed are nice. But there are all sorts of nice places to visit in Utah. Even Colorado is not far away. I could find stuff to do if the National Parks are closed. (I might have to options. We vacation out there in the Spring. Hope we have clear skies at Mesa Verde when we are there.)
    Her son has lived there for years I'm sure he knows plenty of greay places but Arches was at the top of her list. She will get another chance to visit but she is a bit p*ssed at 45.

Then you should probably not work for the US government. There are enough who are willing to that your participation is not necessary. (That could be said about non-governmental enterprises also.)
    Might note that most employers are required to pay their employees. Whether that federal law applies to the U.S. government is in court.

I tried to access som NOAA sea conditions reports yesterday. When I navigated to the url, this appeared:

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 1.25.53 PM.jpg

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Might note that most employers are required to pay their employees. Whether that federal law applies to the U.S. government is in court.
    This will be decided when the courts start up after the spending bills are passed. I am sure the court will say this time what it said last time: pay the employees.

Paying employees is usually according to state law. The federal government is governed by federal law and the only payment the court directed was as specified in the federal minimum wage laws and the overtime laws. State courts can do more.
    Life is complex.

Yup. Close friends (FAA engineers) are furloughed.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Hundreds of TSA screeners, working without pay, calling out sick at major airports

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...ing/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I tried to access som NOAA sea conditions reports yesterday. When I navigated to the url, this appeared:

Screen Shot 2019-01-04 at 1.25.53 PM.jpg

Kevin
    I tried to go to NOAA (https://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov/) to check the magnetic variation in Honolulu and got an even more terse message that it is shut down due to a lapse in appropriations.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Hundreds of TSA screeners, working without pay, calling out sick at major airports
    If these keeps up, they're going to have to change it to "Dozens Standing Around".

(On a more serious note, the fact that this shutdown is even possible does not speak well of the US system of government.)

What are you doing about it?

During my 25 years of active duty I was always paid but for the 23 years of civil service after my active duty time I experienced several of these shutdowns and it's very tough times when you don't get a paycheck.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"