Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Default To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Family members ? Close Friends maybe ?

Just wondering ....

Default Re: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

I am impacted. I spend a lot of time in Acadia National Park. Normally they keep some of the restrooms open all winter, but they closed them because of the shutdown. That is an impact. Perhaps not a big one, but I notice it. If the shut down doesn't end soon all of the park roads and parking areas will also be closed because they won't be removing snow. Cross country skiing will also be more of a challenge this year because they won't be setting tracks on the trails until the shut down ends. That isn't a factor yet since there is currently no snow.

Default Re: To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Oh, hell Yes! I have been very pizzed off personally by the shutdown.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Well, I been out of the States fer a month, but my tea party sister is all spun up and defensive on the Facebook and I have been goading her... so that kind of affected me.

Reading the reports about Joshua Tree. Fights at the unregulated camping areas. Dogs off leash harassing wildlife, 4X4s in woodlands. I was disgusted. Is that what you mean by "personally affected"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Reading the reports about Joshua Tree. Fights at the unregulated camping areas. Dogs off leash harassing wildlife, 4X4s in woodlands. I was disgusted. Is that what you mean by "personally affected"?
    Amongst other things , yes .

Far reaching consequences.

Yeah, my friends in the Coast Guard and my cousin in the FBI are working without pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Yeah, my friends in the Coast Guard and my cousin in the FBI are working without pay.
    So , what doesn`t shut down ?

One of my brothers works for the forest service out of Corvallis. He is furloughed. He has cash reserves to ride this through for a while.

Its a disgrace to think that people can lose their homes over this .

beam reach, are you saying that my friends and my cousin should continue to put their lives on the line rather than take temp jobs to pay their rents or mortgages and put food on the table for their children?

beam reach, are you saying that my friends and my cousin should continue to put their lives on the line rather than take temp jobs to pay their rents or mortgages and put food on the table for their children?
    No . Not at all.

If I lived in the States , I would offer work to them , if I could.

I`m saying that the unlucky ones who may not be able to find enough such work at short notice could lose the roof over their heads .

Over a F%$$*NG WALL !

Haven't been up to Mount Rainier yet this winter. But they've closed the road to Paradise at Longmire. And if they're not ploughing that road on a regular basis, I'd suspect it's likely going to be closed until the melt, regardless of when the shutdown ends.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I have a friend whom is a ranger in Yellowstone. I think his bigger concern may he a hole in his insurance coverage for his family. All while the games go on in DC. He ain't happy.

I wanted to download a USGS map yesterday to plan a hike and couldn't because their server is shut down. Not a big deal for sure but it just one of those things that we take for granted until it's not available.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Just came back from Hawaii. The planes seemed to be properly controlled.

We had nice rooms at Volcano House (in the NP) with a crater and mountain view. Lovely sun rises before breakfast. Breakfast was great. Our morning hikes were pleasant. So was the footpath trail. Saw a couple Nenes near the military base. Did not get to do my 14 mile hike (death march).

Spent some time at the National Historical site near Kona. Had to park outside of the site. But the turtles were on duty on the beach.

I have an early Spring trip to the National Parks out West. I expect it will work out.
    Life is complex.

Too Little Time, so glad you are not inconvenienced.

Yes, how nice for you.
    Last edited by Dave Gray; 01-01-2019 at 10:43 PM.

Hell yes I’m impacted. I’m paying taxes for a year round government but they decide to take a paid vacation on my nickel.

LMAO...All ís well in Too Little World...simply splendid..

I am not a civil servant, I work on a contract that provides services to an agency that is shut down. Since the CS's can't come on site, we are not allowed on site. I was allowed to take a few days leave and then placed into a leave without pay status. Our corporate offices are requiring non-billable employees to take 1 day LWOP each week. There is a good chance our medical insurance will be terminated soon.
    The shutdown is affecting a lot of people I know.
    Civil Servants are normally paid back after a shutdown. Contractors are not.
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

Quote Originally Posted by beam reach View Post
    So , what doesn`t shut down ?
    donald's twitter account?

his SS detail?

His helio crew………...

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    donald's twitter account?

his SS detail?

His helio crew………...

It was a genuine question , and I think I found the answer here :

What’s open — and closed — during a partial government shutdown

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...tary-passports

I was told to stop work on a project yesterday.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JTA View Post
    I am not a civil servant, I work on a contract that provides services to an agency that is shut down. Since the CS's can't come on site, we are not allowed on site. I was allowed to take a few days leave and then placed into a leave without pay status. Our corporate offices are requiring non-billable employees to take 1 day LWOP each week. There is a good chance our medical insurance will be terminated soon.
    The shutdown is affecting a lot of people I know.
    Civil Servants are normally paid back after a shutdown. Contractors are not.
    This is what pisses me off more than most of this mess. The gov't hires contractors to save money & then stiffs them. Probably impossible, but it'd be fair to have a line in any contract saying that all contractors will be paid back wages once the gov't starts back up.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Too Little Time, so glad you are not inconvenienced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    Yes, how nice for you that you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    LMAO...All ís well in Too Little World...simply splendid..
    I don't like to see people who want to work out of work for any reason. The federal government has a long enough history of shutdowns for those who work for the government or contractors to know what to expect.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I don't like to see people who want to work out of work for any reason. The federal government has a long enough history of shutdowns for those who work for the government or contractors to know what to expect.
    So - if someone contracts to or works for the gov't they're just stupid? How about the employer being expected to hold up their end of the deal?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post

Can`t see your logic there ....

Just because some clowns in Washington don`t do their job and govern , the worker should expect not getting payed ?

You have a strange sense of fairness .

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

My niece works for the US Fish and Wildlife Service. She is out of work, says she lost some paid days off that she was owed, doesn't know when she might get another paycheck.

Praise be to the all powerful idiot Trump.

Australia had a government shutdown once. In the end, the queen fired everyone in Parliament.

Australia did this once. In 1975, the Australian government shut down because the legislature had failed to fund it, deadlocked by a budgetary squabble. It looked a lot like the U.S. shutdown of today, or the 17 previous U.S. shutdowns.

Australia's 1975 shutdown ended pretty differently, though, than they do here in America. Queen Elizabeth II's official representative in Australia, Governor General Sir John Kerr, simply dismissed the prime minister. He appointed a replacement, who immediately passed the spending bill to fund the government. Three hours later, Kerr dismissed the rest of Parliament. Then Australia held elections to restart from scratch. And they haven't had another shutdown since.

"Fire the worthless bastards."

Functionality at its finest. So much for "Exceptionalism".
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by beam reach View Post
    To our US members : Has anyone here been personally affected by the Shut Down ?

Family members ? Close Friends maybe ?

Just wondering ....
    I will come Monday, when I will require information from the agency that licenses me.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

One of our morning coffee round table is a Federal judge hearing Social Security appeals. So if you happen to be appealing a loss of your SS disability, tough luck and suck it up. Our reds would say you shouldn’t be getting handouts anyway.

Yes, I've been affected, my daily commute around the DC beltway is much better, still ready for an end to this dumb ****.

Yes.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward