Thread: New here but old here

Default New here but old here

Hello to all,
    I have been a way a while. A slave to my work.
    Thought I would share some of my old work.
    I am starting Howland Boatworks, some what of a change from my normal work as Howland Woodworks.
    Photo below:
    Designed, built, and hand carvings by Howland Woodworks.
    Solid Walnut Armoire built in Victorian revival style. A story in wood of the Arthurian myth as told by Gawain and others.

Walnut Armoire.jpgLion.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpg
    Last edited by John Howland; 12-30-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Default Re: New here but old here

Amazing woodwork. Here's the wardrobe I hacked together last weekend, hoping to get the better half to settle down a bit. In the style of big-box whitewood, luan, and Kreg joints. No apologies, it is what it is. Lol

IMG_20181230_093720978.jpg

Welcome back, John. That armoire is lovely. What size and type of boats do you anticipate building?

Chollapete, your armoire is... ummmm... very similar in quality to my woodworking projects. <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I have started my own inspired by Herreshoff’s 15’ One Design Body Line Drawings, Table of Offsets, and Construction Specification. Not sure what I will build first, maybe BB15' or a International Dragon, would be the biggest I could fit in my shop.
    Herreshoff's Ameryllis is what I am striving to build.
    image1 copy.jpgDragon.jpgAmaryllis.jpg
    Last edited by John Howland; 12-30-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Howland View Post
    Hello to all,
    I have been a way a while. A slave to my work.
    Thought I would share some of my old work.
    Designed, built, and hand carvings by Howland Woodworks.
    Solid Walnut Armoire built in Victorian revival style. A story in wood of the Arthurian myth as told by Gawain and others.
    Not to my taste, but beautiful work!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    Amazing woodwork. Here's the wardrobe I hacked together last weekend, hoping to get the better half to settle down a bit. In the style of big-box whitewood, luan, and Kreg joints. No apologies, it is what it is. Lol
    I like your sense of humour!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Lost a reply I was starting.

We have a Forum member who has built at least one, maybe more, nice little runabout(s) on spec and not selling. A friend retired from boatyard ownership a couple of years back but keeps an oar in building something each winter, using it the following summer, selling, and doing it again.

Aside from those two, wooden boat builders do best to build for an actual customer. Maybe as a start you might build a classic for your own use and to trailer around to boat shows but she's unlikely to be the money boat.

First Light Boatworks (formerly Pease Boatworks) hit on a great semi-custom boat that really is the sustaining product. It's a motor boat. Designers already know this: Cool affordable power boats are the family income.

^^ Very nice.

The Monomoy First Light 26' is a very good example of a client, a boatyard, and an architect coming together. For the first few customers the design went through a number of evolutions - rounded chines in cold mold, inboard, inboard jet drive - before hitting on the basic lapstrake hard chine. A great deal of care goes into working with the client on layout and finish - anything from bulletproof surfaces for the devoted fishkiller to glorious teak to a lay out for bringing a wheel chair aboard and having full access. She's something of a niche boat with the sharp bow being just perfect for the Chatham area chop and surf but they are expanding the geographic market bit by bit.

This is a bit bigger than a one person shop is likely to make money from but the idea is clear: A core line is at the heart of these things. It might be truly elegant wooden kayaks custom fitted to the paddler. It might be a series of great utility boats like Old Warf Dory makes. (Walter also developed the LYS.)

John must have some very happy clients who need a boat. Or who have a youngster who needs a boat. I hope he starts there.

Your craftmanship is amazing. I've no doubt that you'll build beautiful boats. Best thing is to build for a client, not on spec.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I agree, I have design & built furniture under commission almost exclusively.
    The designing & building would be the easy part, making a bussines out of it would be the hard part.

Nice work! (both)

I too used to work as a professional furniture designer and maker. In retirement I've turned to boat building to satisfy my craving to make stuff as well as a means to keep my brain active. And active it must be, for I've found that boats aren't just simple "odd shaped cabinets" as I used to joke. They are a whole new world of complexity and wonder. A source of fun, for sure. Especially so, now that I no longer have to keep business records and my schedule is entirely my own.

Best of luck in your new adventure.

Jeff

Frenchman's Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

Wow, nice furniture! It is even nicer than the sort that my family didn't want to part with when we moved across the Atlantic Ocean (resulting in the hire of a shipping container). After a stint of building simple furniture in post-war Germany this same family started designing and building inflatable boats for a living. While these were attractive as far as inflatables go they were by no means works of art. Still, the boat business not only paid the bills but allowed my folks to retire early and move to Canada.

I know at least one person who has made a dual furniture/boatbuilding career and another fine furniture artist who has expressed interest in boat building.

While I like fine furniture, my day job and boat addiction provide me with barely enough time and money for "chollapete style" furniture. Instead of kreg joints I use deck screws because the furniture doesn't have to be any more square than my house (which I didn't build, it came crooked). Still a notch up from the prefab pressboard junk with a fake wood coating IMHO. I also own dogs, who tend to chew at the corners of the nicest thing in my house, allowing something else to become the nicest thing in my house. Before dogs and boats I was not always this degenerate, and did quite a bit of woodcarving. It was a sad day when one of my dogs knocked my favourite horse carving off the bookshelf and a leg and an ear broke off. A boat half model would have been more robust.

It would make so much more sense to expend more effort towards nicer furniture, which one looks at every day, rather than pouring that energy into boats, which at best get intermittent seasonal use. Having higher expectations for a boat than for furniture isn't rational, but likely not entirely unusual.

There might be a type of client who will have not only the appreciation for fine design and workmanship in a boat, but also the means to pay for it. Some of these might even be the furniture clients you already have or, perhaps more likely, people that they know. Might not hurt to have a boat drawing or two mixed in where they see sample pictures of the furniture they can commission. Just hope that they will not want an intricately carved figurehead for a boat where it would look horribly out of place.

John, your work is much appreciated! I, for one, would love to see some pictures of your shop! Do you have any Addis carving tools in your collection?
    Jay

Thanks for you kind words.
    Marry May used my old shop for her first carving classes. I was one of her first students Our old shop was in a old turn of the century factory, they made snow shoes there for the 1st WW and Faylon made airplane propeller there before they moved to CA.
    The tigers on the bar were sculpted by Marry May after her apprenticeship with Konstantinos Papadakis. I owe her much, I was hacking around with carving tools before I meet her, doing my best now but she is a master sculptress.
    tiger Bar 3.jpg
    Last edited by John Howland; 12-31-2018 at 10:35 PM.

It is very refreshing to see the work of those who can see and free a graceful form from within a blank piece of wood!
    Jay