Thread: Exceptional boat in Plattsburgh

Default Exceptional boat in Plattsburgh

I have no interest in this boat. I have Mull Hull 1 and speak highly of this vessel.

Super boat for a steal.
    https://www.pointseast.com/buy-a-sailboat/

30' Cold-Molded Sailboat
    Gary Mull cold molded sailboat ' Lickity Split'. Full set of sails (two brand new), all rigging and trailer. Inboard low hour Volvo Penta 2000 engine and folding prop. In need of loving restoration. Located in Plattsburgh, NY on Lake Champlain. Asking $3,000 or best offer.

if I lived closer I would buy her. I know a bit about her builder, quality. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-28-2018 at 09:43 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Default Re: Exceptional boat in Plattsburgh

video was shot 5 years ago. You can see the potential of her hull and grace.

1A5FE67C-3131-4C61-A7C5-97D523FC5632.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-28-2018 at 09:39 PM.
    A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man. My feature suggests an excellent side kick of good index.

Trescool.

You had me at Gary Mull.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    You had me at Gary Mull.

Mickey Lake
    It also has Ron Holland all over it who worked as Mull apprentice who help draw the lines and work out the strong innovative hull design. Strip planking layup was top notch. Hank Eason was the talented builder - a real legend here in San Francisco. These boats were built for the St. Francis Yacht club in the early 70s.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-28-2018 at 10:40 PM.

Do you think that is the original rudder?

Someone will get a total steal with this boat.

Mickey Lake

Plattsburgh is about an hour away from me. If someone is seriously interested, let me know & I'll see about taking a look.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Do you think that is the original rudder?

Someone will get a total steal with this boat.

Mickey Lake
    the rudder appears to be an update. A few boats changed the rudder. The original rudder on mine failed during its wins in the SORC causing a redesign. These boats were quite advanced in many ways. Mull stuck with the basic hull design and moved rudder for many of race boat evolutions to eventually to hang off stern.

Here is Pretty Penny, a sister of Lickety Split which is currently for sale by Bruce, friend of mine. He loves these boats so much he has 2. This maybe hull 2. Lickety Split I think is Hull 4.

37B07102-97D2-4669-919F-61D41C1D88D6.jpg

Here is Bruce and friends racing his other Mull 30, Shadow. The boat rates 150 but consistently beats boats who rate closer to 130 boat for boat.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-29-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Plattsburgh is about an hour away from me. If someone is seriously interested, let me know & I'll see about taking a look.
    Nice offer.

if the boat is still around in March - I am coming to look at it. This is a boat I would partner up on with serious east coast intentions. I would make the time to work on, prepare and race her come next season with friends. Leaving her in care for those who would use her as she was intended. It would be far easier to do this than bring my current Mull across the country.

"Lively Lady" redux, Ted? Love to see you do another thread!

Dang Ted, you sound very serious about this. What racing would you do with her?

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    "Lively Lady" redux, Ted? Love to see you do another thread!
    wouldn't that be fun! I’d be wiser and cleaner in approach and restoration. Seeing the boat on a trailer would make the project easier to scope and do. In a day dream, I would be set up wth work van and being able to live in boat -within a few weeks she would be class ready. After a summer, a jewel.

Dang Ted, you sound very serious about this. What racing would you do with her?

Mickey Lake
    It would depend on the trailer. I could imagine doing the Mac on her as well as maybe Bermuda. Between the two boats plus my friends, the options would be wide open. Sadly, she would not qualify for Panerai classic races due her construction (strip plank) but other ones would be a blast. The boat would spook a lot of J boats and smoke a few Morris in her class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    wouldn't that be fun! I’d be wiser and cleaner in approach and restoration. Seeing the boat on a trailer would make the project easier to scope and do. In a day dream, I would be set up with work van and being able to live in boat -within a few weeks she would be class ready. After a summer, a jewel.
    You probably already know this, but come March, the boat may well be buried in 3-4 ft. of snow. Around here you cannot count on the snow being gone until May - though some years it might be late April.

I'd also count on 4 new tires & wheel bearings all around. Probably lights too.

Getting her sailing on Lake Champlain could work out well. There's a ton of good sailing here + some races you might be able to join for tune-ups.

Does Noah still race his boat? She was a beauty.

Mickey Lake

Does Noah still race his boat? She was a beauty.

Mickey Lake
    Dunno. I don't know Noah well, but I'll ask my brother next time we talk. I seem to recall he may have sold it - but I could be completely wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    You probably already know this, but come March, the boat may well be buried in 3-4 ft. of snow. Around here you cannot count on the snow being gone until May - though some years it might be late April.

I'd also count on 4 new tires & wheel bearings all around. Probably lights too.

Getting her sailing on Lake Champlain could work out well. There's a ton of good sailing here + some races you might be able to join for tune-ups.
    it looks like a wonderful place to iron out the boat. summer there would be quite dreamy. I have a couple of ignorant questions about the area. I never been on that side of the lake.

As for storage - what are the options like there or would I be wiser to move it closer to more active yards and resources. In a related question -what are the local yards and facilities like around there? How friendly and could a guy live in the yard on boat to expedite working on boat?

Can you sail up the lake and get past Montreal without taking down the rig?

So many more questions to feed this silly dream.

I don't know the yards in Plattsburg, but most yards around here allow owners to work on their boats. Some are not big fans of wood boats + others require a mooring/dock to be rented for the summer to allow work. Plattsburg/Cumberland Head has a # of yards I've heard.

Stick has to come down to get to Montreal (route is via the Richelieu Canal - to Sorel - then down the St Lawrence to Montreal) - I think the max height allowed is about 15 ft.

Quick story: I was helping friends bring a 70 ft schooner down the canal into the lake (it had to go diagonally in a few locks). I was at the wheel on one stretch & cracked up. The skipper came up & asked what was going on & my reply was "I'm at the helm of a schooner & am looking down at cows!". He laughed too. There's a stretch where the canal goes along a hillside about 50' in altitude, 1/4 mile in distance above the river.

I live in Essex NY, about 35 miles south of Plattsburgh and while I don't know the policies of each yard around there, I've been through most of them boat shopping. Plattsburgh itself has a large yard that is quite busy and not likely to be a good summer work spot. Just to the north are a few good sized yards, Treadwell Bay and Mooney Bay that might work well. There are a few more on the way to the border, which is about 40 miles north of Plattsburgh. A couple of large yards in Rouses Point which is the border town. Its pretty loose around here as its rural and not many people to enforce anything. so I'd guess you could make it work. I'd think that at least half of the boats are Canadians , more so as you head north. To the south, there's a yard around Valcour island and a few in Willsboro, which is close to me. It warms up fairly quickly up here, seems we go straight from winter to summer a lot. I'm boatless now, but I used to put my boats in in April, an occasional snow, but for the most part, its outside working weather.

Be glad to help you out if you need a resource. I'm up in Plattsburgh once a week or so for chores. Do you know where it is?

That is a great deal for a boat. I'm not that far away either. Tempted, but I'm in a 'small boat' phase of life.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Sounds like Frost is the man on the scene. Certainly closer than I am, but I'm happy to do whatever I can.

BTW - Essex is a beautiful town!

Hello All , new to the thread, but subscriber to the magazine..

I came across this completely by accident and wanted to add some history to the boat. Thats Lickety Split... the best goddam family boat ever to grace Stamford harbor.. It was my dads boat and i, along with my 10 brother and sisters raced her all over LIS from 1982 through 2005..

This boat has been discussed at length in another forum and instead of linking .. I am copying and pasting,.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lickety Split. One of Gary Mulls best looking designs, and owned by Bill Malloy until recently. She was Original bought in the early 80's By Bill, Kerry, Ron and Kevin Malloy (but not Dan The Ex Gov. of CT, yes he is their brother) The boat was bough while on the hard when the three brothers went into a boatyard in Greenwich to look at another boat , when they did not like the one they originally came to see , on a whim, they instead bought Lickety Split , " Because she looked fast"....

The boat has been owned by Bill Malloy since the late 80's and sailed all over Eastern Long island sound by the family and friends. She was the family boat, and one of the best little race ever. The Hull is cold molded and is tough as nails, she is quick in light air but really outperformed in her class when the winds went up into the 20s. Lickey split was red when we bought her, Then painted Blue in the 1980 overhaul (BTW done at the yard that is now the Norwalk Aquarium ) till abut 1995 and now white...

In 1984 she become the highest rated boat to ever compete in and finish the Vineyard race with a PHRF rating of 168 at the time. She also won block island once and would still race well with a new set of sail and a little TLC.

Current PHRF rating is 150 and she was still winning even recently .Lickety Split is a great class racer and the new owner recently add a new Engine to replace the original Palmer that we had with her.

As for the skegectomy... Lickety split will look different than her sister under the waterline, Her Keel was reshaped in I believe in 81-82... She went from having the classic 70s mull keel, to basically what you would see on a J-30 below the water at the time ( but faster than a j30) . The draft is now about 6'6" and The redesign was done by Gary mull himself. The mast was raised at the same time by about 4 feet, you can see where it was done on the mast.

The spade Rudder came a few years later - about 1990. The old rudder looked exactly the same as you see on Pretty Penny now, and it was horrible... way to short to handle the power and the boat had a real love of rounding up under spin... while exciting at the time. was really nuts. we almost put the top of the mast into the water more than once going downwind The new rudder was designed and built by David Hubbard ( same guy who designed the solid wing sail for the 1988 Americas cup catamaran that beat new Zealand) .. and the old one was cut off by yours truly with a sawsall . since then, the roundups have gone away. in your video, going 11 knts downwind was the worst way to sail her at the time. Coming off waves the spin would pull the rudder right out of the water and it was all over from there. The new rudder is almost 6 foot and rounding up is a thing of the past.

The underside of Lickety Split looked the same as pretty penny in the 70s before we owned her, but she has a full racing undercarriage now and will beat J-30s if you race her right.

On the rig, She had a baby stay till about 1990 , but it was pretty much useless and gotten rid of in the late 80s.. we never could bend that mast much. (side story, in a race, a shroud on the starboard side popped so there was no support to the top of the mast. FULL Sail.. the mast curved to port like a crescent moon... but stayed up till we pulled up into the wind.) That mast is like a tree!

We continued to simplify the full rig the years. When she first came to us, she had that baby stay, 2 jib halyards, 2 spin halyards and a topping lift along with the main Halyard. Simply way too much for a 30 foot boat and some of it had to go. There were also 4 more winches in different areas of the boat. (4 inchers) Lickety split and her sisters were all ahead of thier time, and made for Ocean racing in California. Because of that, they were also generally were over built and over rigged.

The Boom was also lengthened by Gary in the early 80s, ( same time as the mast) and the traveler was moved by us from right about the end 0f where the tiller is (massive shin buster) to right in front of the cabin where it is today.

The clear plexi-glass in the top of the cabin is actually hockey glass from Terry Conners Ice rink in Stamford CT, The old top had cracked and we all played hockey, when a big piece of glass shattered at the rink,.. one piece became a part of lickey split forever.

Originally, Lickety split did have a hull extender on the back when we bought her, but it was not a solid piece of the boat, just was bolted to the stern and generally just collected water and was soon discarded.

Also, If you look at the boat to the stern on the Starboard side, you can also see there was a patch done there, when we got her there was a rocket launcher there.( bouy that used to shoot a man overboard stick should someone fall over. ) But that was also sealed up in 83 when it was discovered that on heavy winds, it was allowing the ocean into the boat on a deep heel.... We almost sank learning that lesson.

The cabin floor was originally just white painted plywood and the new floor was added by me ( did what I could) .. looked much better. and the old floor was like glass when it got wet.

And of yeah!... she did almost sink on her mooring once.. almost, we woke up one day in I think 85 and the bow was just dipping under , stern up still. The head had backed up and flooded the boat overnight, the only thing that kept her from sinking completely was that it was a very still night, no wind, and it was low tide....The keel rested on the ground and was waiting for the tide to come up. was very lucky that day.

She needs another save from someone, I would do it myself but with four kids of my own and landlocked, its not me this time. But if I came into some money, I would spend my days getting her back onto the water, she deserves it.

She was bought by the current owner who had plans to fully renovate her ( hence the new engine) It really was his passion project and he was the one who added the videos to Youtube. Unfortunately , he was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly thereafter leaving lickety split in need of a new home

Someone please save her. -You will not be disappointed. If you have any other question, post them here or hit my email@<a href="mailto:wmalloy382@gma...@gmail.com</a>

All the best

And oh yeah.. Great boat to get engaged on!.. but that's a whole nother' story.. !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is the listing gone?

Quote Originally Posted by earling2 View Post
    Is the listing gone?
    I'd like to know too.