Thread: Land Yachting

Default Land Yachting

My friend and best man for one of my weddings, Don Rypinski, is writing a book on land sailing. Since it was Don, who pioneered the sport of sailing land yachts in the U.S.A. I expect it to be a very comprehensive as well as historical source of information on the sport of "Here's Dust in Your Eye!" Should be coming out this Spring!
    Jay

I land sailed once, 35 years ago. What a blast! Around here the only real space for it is the parking lots at the big public beaches. That makes it relegated to winter use only, basically.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Land Yachting

Ok now I really want to build one for the Washington coast. I enjoy vacationing at Long Beach.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

The first time I went sailing was on land. I was four. We were stationed in northern France, and vacationed at the beaches of Normandy, where land yachts were available for rent. Dad thought that looked great, so he rented one and immediately went nowhere. A Frenchman started shouting directions to him in French, a language he never learned, but the gestures got the message across and soon we were flying across the sand.

This yellow one is a couple hundred yards from where I'm sitting...
    It seems to just "give up" when it get going over 100 mph, but I think he can coax it to maybe 115-120...

In the early '70s I did a lot of work for the Hobie dealer in Long Beach. They were located in the Marina Shipyard, located at 2nd street and PCH. They tried to sell a line of land sailors for a time. I'm not sure they ever sold one, but many afternoons found us waiting for a break in traffic on Coast Hwy (breaks in traffic were common back then). We'd push a couple of these contraptions across the highway and sail on the vacant lot that would soon become a large shopping center. The wind wasn't steady, but we had a ball out there.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

A distinct step up from my '70s vintage homemade oversized skateboard with a small windsurfer sail that was fun a low tide.

Don Rypinsk is a genius at inventing unusual sailing boats in addition to his very successful Land Yachts. He currently is developing marketing for his joy stick controlled folding trimaran. His vision is to have a fleet of these, very stable but fast sailing boats, available for use at resorts around the world. These foldable trimarans look like fast running water spiders when they are afloat and under sail! They sail amazingly fast in just a sneeze of wind!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    A distinct step up from my '70s vintage homemade oversized skateboard with a small windsurfer sail that was fun a low tide.
    Ian, did you devolope any road rash doing that?
    Jay

No. Going fast over damp sand wearing only cut-offs - no shoes or shirt and for sure no helmet - concentrates the mind.

I am intrigued by the Blokart (https://www.blokart.com/) and Ben, there's a place on the Washington Coast that rents them (https://sandandsailsh2o.com/)

And I am thinking a trip to Ocean Shores is in order
    Elect a clown expect a circus