Thread: Plans for building a Patin

Default Plans for building a Patin

Happy Holidays all.

Brand new to the WoodenBoat forums and I'm new to even the idea of building a boat, though I've got a background in basic woodworking and fiberglass. Anyway my current interest is borne out of necessity-- I want a Patin and I haven't come across much mention of them being available in the US. So I figure I'm just going to have to build one. And the more I think about it the more I love the idea. So far I haven't come across any plans at all. Do you all have any suggestions on where I might look? Do any exist? Any help at all on starting this adventure would be much appreciated!

David

Default Re: Plans for building a Patin

Not being familiar with the Patin, I typed 'Patin boat' into guggle and there was a raft of stuff came up. Did you look there?

Thanks Andrew. I've definitely been doing some digging. And while I've found some information I haven't found even one reference to plans for building them. Which is kind of my goal, at least in theory.

https://es.boats.com/en-el-agua/de-l...patin-catalan/

via Google Translate...

The origin of the Catalan skate goes back to the middle of the 19th century on the beaches of the Barcelona coast, such as Badalona, ​​Poble Nou, El Masnou and El Prat de Llobregat. In the Maritime Museum of Barcelona there is the record of the first regatta in the year 1871; although at that time I was taking oars. The reason that sharpened the ingenuity for its construction, was not other than the contamination of the water in the coast that forced the bathers to look for clean waters. The need to improve the displacement carried incorporate a simple criterion: Palo candle sheet support in the first, four benches joining two symmetrical shells.

The first regattas with the sail skate were in 1932 and in 1944 it was recognized as a monotype class. The class is very active with the management of the ADIPAV International Sports Association of Skate to Sailing, which organizes regattas and championships. Throughout the Mediterranean there are skateboarders, but where more fleet is concentrated after Catalonia is in Andalusia, in Puerto de Santa María. But for some time there have been international meetings with fleets from France, Holland and Belgium.
    Leads to:

http://www.adipav.org/

Leads to:

http://www.pativela.cat/

Translated...

Designed by the Catalan brothers Mongé in 1942 is the formal and advanced development of an artifact that was born on the beaches of Badalona at the beginning of the century. In principle it did not have candle and the propulsion was realized to row, but he was rudimentary and heavy. Later the candle was added to him. Finally, the defining creators of the class lighten up and added the steel bar that made the boat exactly as we know it now.

Its structure is made of wood. It is formed by two helmets or floats that fulfill the function of antideriva planes. The helmets are joined together by the cover, composed of five independent benches that provide rigidity to the set and serve as support for the device, as well as support for the pattern itself.

A single aluminum pole tree whose inclination and stiffness can be varied during navigation through the plates and practicable beds and a device known as flexor respectively. Surge assistants a triangular candle driven by a slip that slides freely on the steel bar set installed totally aft to the boat.

The point of hunters of the bosses of maneuver is usually placed between two of the 3th to 5th stalls in a battery of mechanisms called "piano." In addition to the heads that drive steers, bracing and flexor, they also hunt in it the drissa, which clears the candle and tension it along the pole, and another towards the actuation gives shape to a zone of the sailing bore known as "Duck's tail", the hunted or let loose varies slightly but noticeably the plane and surface vesicles
    Seems like an email to governing body for the class, ADIPAV, might be the best option for plans?

Chris,

Thanks very much for helping me out-- this is great! I'll send them an email and see what I can learn. Much appreciated.

David

There was an article in WB magazine about patins a while back...don't recall which one but I'm pretty sure it was within the last two years.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Brian,

You're exactly right. From a search it looks like it was the 145:44 publication. Any thoughts on where to look to find one? A quick search at my local library's website didn't turn anything up but I'll keep looking. Thanks!

David

Actually it looks like that 145 issue (which I found I can buy digitally) is from 1996. I didn't find anything in a search for more recent Patin articles in WoodenBoat. If anyone stumbles across a more recent article let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by davidenloe View Post
    Actually it looks like that 145 issue (which I found I can buy digitally) is from 1996. I didn't find anything in a search for more recent Patin articles in WoodenBoat. If anyone stumbles across a more recent article let me know.
    Ya know...I think it WAS that issue. I must have been re-reading it fairly recently. I do that a lot...
    I rather be an American than a Republican.