Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever learned a new skill from watching YouTube?

Default Have you ever learned a new skill from watching YouTube?

What about inspiration?

Or has a tip from YouTube ever saved you money? I can say "yes" to both.

There's a lot of useless crap on YouTube, but there is much that is good. Listen to this group do a wonderful job on what I consider one of the hardest songs for any group to pull off (if only my old band could have done it as well...).

Jeff C

Default Re: Have you ever learned a new skill from watching YouTube?

I learned how to play Billie Jean on the uke...

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I learned how to play Billie Jean on the uke...

Peace,
    Robert
    There you go.

Jeff C

Those guys are incredible. I think someone posted this a while ago - but I'm totally good with listening again.

I've learned a bunch from youtube - particularly "what's the trick for doing x on a car/truck/tractor". To be honest though, I've also gone down some lengthy rabbit holes on it...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Those guys are incredible. I think someone posted this a while ago - but I'm totally good with listening again.

I've learned a bunch from youtube - particularly "what's the trick for doing x on a car/truck/tractor". To be honest though, I've also gone down some lengthy rabbit holes on it...
    The first thing I benefited from was a video showing a quick fix for a broken vacuum line on my Astro van--I'd lost A/C because a damper door had closed in the ventilation system on a 100 degree day.

Jeff C

Yes. I have searched for specific topics and been rewarded. Mostly use it for music, though.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Dave Hadfield just taught me how to start a spitfire.

Peace,
    Robert

That’s an incredibly good cover and I enjoyed listening to it again. But it’s still a cover. To me the genius of Suite Judy Blue Eyes was Stills’ originality and creativity in the writing and arranging. Long been one of my all time favorite songs.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    dave hadfield just taught me how to start a spitfire.

peace,
    robert

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Did you see that cool video? I mean, those flying videos always make me want to puke, but that was cool!

Peace,
    He Needs Another Arm To Fly That Thing! Sheesh!

I learned to whip finish a fishing fly.

Youtube is great.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

@Amish Rob

I’m incredibly envious of that skill. I had a friend who was a competition aerobatic pilot and he used to take me for rides in his Christen Eagle and sometimes let me take the stick when we had miles of air all around us. Then he traded for a single seat Pitts and my rides were over. I can only dream, with Dave’s help, of what that Spitfire is like.

Youtube is an excellent source for tutorials. I've learned a bunch of new skills from this source. Most recently, I learned to program in Objective C, and Youtube is now teaching me to use Blender (the CGI app, not the electric appliance). There is a whole lot of crap out there on "The Tube". It takes some time to find and recognize good sources, but the rewards can be astounding.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

Learned to replace the rubber primer thingy on my lawn mower. Still hate my lawn mower.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I learned the mandolin basics from YouTube. Now I use a human instructor but still go to YouTube for help with my assignments.

United and airbus have have put a lot of training videos on YouTube. I go there from time to time to brush up on stuff.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Lots of different things on YouTube to pass the time--I've posted this one before, but I like it.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    @Amish Rob

Iím incredibly envious of that skill. I had a friend who was a competition aerobatic pilot and he used to take me for rides in his Christen Eagle and sometimes let me take the stick when we had miles of air all around us. Then he traded for a single seat Pitts and my rides were over. I can only dream, with Daveís help, of what that Spitfire is like.
    Itís funny. Time was I had zero qualms about jumping a push bike 40 feet, or a motorbike 70 feet, often as high in the air. I used to do all manner of high ladder, staging, and rigging work without much hesitation.

Airplanes? Roller coasters? Parachutes?

No. No. No.

I am in absolute awe of people whose brains work upside down and sideways. The spatial awareness alone is amazing, but when combined with the disorienting nature of the machineís movements...

Awesome is barely enough word.

Peace,
    Robert

I've even gotten into the online tutorial biz myself, although my presentation needs lots of work. These two videos were done for my monthly senior citizens piano class. I intend to do a lot more of these in the future.

I had to split these among two posts.

Jeff C

Jeff C

I've learned a lot from YouTube. Wood turning is a good example, I'm self-taught plus some help from YouTube. Then there's playing the trumpet, also self-taught with a lot of help from watching YouTube lessons.

Great cover version in the OP, thanks for posting.
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Music is such a natural on YouTube. One of my favorite young musicians--Alissia Benveniste.

Jeff C

I think I learned how to apply gold leaf. I'll know tonight if I have in fact actually learned the skill. How hard could it be? Spread the size (glue), place the leaf. Cover all with varnish. There's a bit more to it but really, not much. Pretty sure most of us have learned SOMETHING from Youtube.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

My most dramatic YouTube learning moment was when I was working on rebuilding the local scooter shop after a fire. The hot air furnace was damaged and the building owner had a ďfriendĒ put in a new furnace. But he didnít do ductwork. The scooter shop owner (not the building owner) and I were working together and we tried to find someone to do the ductwork. We called 8 different companies that did ductwork and only two called back and came to look at the job. One said they would send a quote but never did. The other quoted $8,000 but couldnít get to it for a couple of months. So we though we might be able to just do it ourselves. We watched a bunch of YouTube videos and headed to the local plumbing supply house. They sold us all the parts we would need and even helped us design the new system. It cost about $1000 for all the parts and it took us just two days to put it all together. Huge savings and with winter close we didnít have to deal with temporary heat for the drywall phase that cane next.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    My most dramatic YouTube learning moment was when I was working on rebuilding the local scooter shop after a fire. The hot air furnace was damaged and the building owner had a “friend” put in a new furnace. But he didn’t do ductwork. The scooter shop owner (not the building owner) and I were working together and we tried to find someone to do the ductwork. We called 8 different companies that did ductwork and only two called back and came to look at the job. One said they would send a quote but never did. The other quoted $8,000 but couldn’t get to it for a couple of months. So we though we might be able to just do it ourselves. We watched a bunch of YouTube videos and headed to the local plumbing supply house. They sold us all the parts we would need and even helped us design the new system. It cost about $1000 for all the parts and it took us just two days to put it all together. Huge savings and with winter close we didn’t have to deal with temporary heat for the drywall phase that cane next.
    That's great!

Like Garret said, you always have to check YouTube advice, in order to stay away from bottomless rabbit holes, but being able to see something actually being done before doing it yourself can be huge.

Jeff C

I learned how to repair my Onkyo A/V receiver from a YouTube video.
    Nosce te ipsum

A little sculpting, by a 92 year old artist.

Jeff C

My son is learning to weld as we speak.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

2001 Ford Ranger. All of a sudden there was a horrible metallic grinding noise. I googled
    "2001 Ford Ranger grinding noise" which led to an owners forum which had a link to a YouTube video on Ford Ranger AC clutch replacement. The audio included the exact noise I was hearing. The video gave me the NAPA part number and complete video step by step, including a very well hidden circlip i never would have seen.
    Fixed it right.
    Saved me about $300.

Wooden carriage wheel building, a lot about boat building, oars and paddles, and from Bob Smalser a deal about care of tools in a salty environment.
    Gilding the edge of books, there's a lot actually……… recipes,…………………..

Youtube has probably saved me a heap of cash on car, bike, home and appliance maintenance over the years.

It's also cost me a heap - I didn't know I needed a gravel bike until I saw them on videos doing exactly the sorts of things I wanted bike to do.

And then there's the time it's cost going down rabbit holes, looking for a guitar or bass tutorial and ending up watching 2 hours of barely related content, or building a forge with my son because we suddenly realised we could.

I'm in awe of the top content providers - the effort to properly film and edit the things they do, and be entertaining as well as being so generous with their knowledge.

Then there's the how-to-make videos that start with a hot glue gun, doh.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I learned how to use Freecad to generate toolpaths for a CNC router.

Learnt how to remove the starter motor from my Suzuki 9.9 hp outboard and quite a lot more. I have a few junk rig sailing videos on there as well.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

I should use youtube more often to increase my guitar mojo. I use it most often to figure out how to fix something or just save time searching, like where is the thermostat on my friend's car. Just heard the following for the first time at christmas dinner last night, girlfriend's son having fun with his new bluetooth speaker:

When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post

I'm in awe of the top content providers - the effort to properly film and edit the things they do, and be entertaining as well as being so generous with their knowledge.
    My tutorials are about as basic as it gets, and if I make a mistake I either laugh it off or start over. What does surprise me is how difficult it is to play piano when I know I'm recording a video to post online--it's the same feeling I used to get when I knew my mother was in the audience...

Jeff C

Picked up lots of good car maintenance things. But cripes I hate the quality of production and these guys who take 15 minutes to get to the point. I always try to find text and picture tutorials before YouTube.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk