Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: A bit of Folly for the Bilge

Default A bit of Folly for the Bilge

Within these hallowed pages has been posted many grand threads on boats, cars, motorcycles, trains and airplanes.
    I'd like to introduce a new first in the annals of Bilgeness.

Last week, while bringing in some firewood, I noticed that my 25 year old wheelbarrow was getting a bit wobbly. It seems that the nuts and bolts had to be tightened up. Being bored with no winter boat building project going on, I couldn't just leave it at that. Within a half hour, I had the whole thing dismantled.
    IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

The frame/handles were all weathered gray. With my power planer, I took off a very thin layer to reveal fresh wood. Teak? I'm not sure. It has an oily feel.

IMG_4348.jpg

Mustering all my skills, I sanded down the tub. It received a coat of primer and two coats of green paint left over from my fantail launch. The handles received three coats of Sikkens Cetol Marine Teak finish. I refastened her with galvanized bolts.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Default Re: A bit of Folly for the Bilge

Handles don't appear to be teak... but some other tropical hardwood. The Cetol will serve you well.

That is now a barrow for the ages. Won't require attention for many years unless you really abuse the tub.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Great job, Rich --- A Wheelbarrow Service Life Improvement Program . Now it is ready for lots more use. My only suggestion would be to replace the tire with one that can't go flat.

And now, Bilgemates, for possibly the first time on any online forum, I'd like to introduce my finely restored wheelbarrow, ready for another 25 years of hauling firewood, dirt and gravel.
    For the purists, I'd like to point out that only traditional methods were used in this restoration. Only oil based finishes and NO epoxy!
    Ain't she a beauty? Now I only have to come up with a name.

IMG_4349.jpg

I love it! A wheelbarrow rebuild thread!

OK - we need 3 pages on how you install the new rubrails & (mostly) why you're doing it wrong...

Now that I think about it, other questions abound. What'll it get for bottom paint? Bootstripe? Where do you source TrueTemper logos? Shouldn't you be using bronze hardware to prevent galvanic corrosion when hauling manure (hey, this is the bilge)? Interior coating: we have a vote for truck bed liner, but why not a super slippery teflon coating for easier dumping? Finally - power - it ain't sail & it's ain't oar, or electric, or gas or diesel - what other options are there?

Wait a sec! The wheel! Galvanized? Aluminum? Epoxy coated steel? Tire: grooved, all terrain, bias, radial, do you fill it with nitrogen (bonus points available here)?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A name... a name...

Your barrow is not a back-hoe, but I'm reminded of what the kids used to call the left pocket in their winter jackets: the Snack Hole.

Maybe you could call her 'Pack Hole'.

Or... paint some trim yellow... and call her 'Fawn' (a baby deere)
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Nice work Rich, it looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    And now, Bilgemates, for possibly the first time on any online forum, I'd like to introduce my finely restored wheelbarrow, ready for another 25 years of hauling firewood, dirt and gravel.
    For the purists, I'd like to point out that only traditional methods were used in this restoration. Only oil based finishes and NO epoxy!
    Ain't she a beauty? Now I only have to come up with a name.

IMG_4349.jpg
    A bit of advice. Do not name it after your wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I love it! A wheelbarrow rebuild thread!

OK - we need 3 pages on how you install the new rubrails & (mostly) why you're doing it wrong...

Now that I think about it, other questions abound. What'll it get for bottom paint? Bootstripe? Where do you source TrueTemper logos? Shouldn't you be using bronze hardware to prevent galvanic corrosion when hauling manure (hey, this is the bilge)? Interior coating: we have a vote for truck bed liner, but why not a super slippery teflon coating for easier dumping? Finally - power - it ain't sail & it's ain't oar, or electric, or gas or diesel - what other options are there?

Wait a sec! The wheel! Galvanized? Aluminum? Epoxy coated steel? Tire: grooved, all terrain, bias, radial, do you fill it with nitrogen (bonus points available here)?
    Oh, great! I just knew a troublemaker like you would show up!
    I used the same Rustoleum Marine paint on the tub as I used on the launch. Works just fine, thank you very much. If you insist on a bootstripe, I'll wait until the lake thaws in the spring, throw it in and see where she sits to mark a waterline. The original galvanized fasteners were still good, but I replaced them anyway. Besides, wouldn't the dissimiliar metals of the steel tub and bronze cause problems? Interior coating doesn't matter really, since now I can't use this finely restored wheelbarrow to actually
    haul stuff! My idea on power is wife-powered. Wish me luck with that.
    As for the wheel rim, it got a coat of semi-gloss Rustoleum black. Sorry, I didn't have a can of gloss on my shop shelf.
    For the rub rail, if you can find me a piece of green white oak anywhere in the state of Vermont, I'll be glad to steam bend a nice one just for your satisfaction.
    Sheesh... the critics on this forum...

Young man, I expect to see some coachwhipping on those handgrips before you call it a job well done. Maybe a turk's head at the inboard ends.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

And hey, don't forget to clock your nuts.
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough. I am interested in what the enlightened do;

Life is what it is. Then it isn't.

Was there not a thread just last night about re-naming the bilge again? Or did I dream that?
    I don't care to know what the tough do when the going gets tough. I am interested in what the enlightened do;

Life is what it is. Then it isn't.

What makes the Bilge a better place. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    And hey, don't forget to clock your nuts.
    Ouch!

My wheelbarrow made a trip to a skip in the dump a few months ago. I'd shovel-mixed so much mortar and cement in it, and cleaned the solid residue out with a hammer so many times, that it was unsalvageable. Not unlike this:

Andy, wheelbarrowless
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Oh, great! I just knew a troublemaker like you would show up!
    I used the same Rustoleum Marine paint on the tub as I used on the launch. Works just fine, thank you very much. If you insist on a bootstripe, I'll wait until the lake thaws in the spring, throw it in and see where she sits to mark a waterline. The original galvanized fasteners were still good, but I replaced them anyway. Besides, wouldn't the dissimiliar metals of the steel tub and bronze cause problems? Interior coating doesn't matter really, since now I can't use this finely restored wheelbarrow to actually
    haul stuff! My idea on power is wife-powered. Wish me luck with that.
    As for the wheel rim, it got a coat of semi-gloss Rustoleum black. Sorry, I didn't have a can of gloss on my shop shelf.
    For the rub rail, if you can find me a piece of green white oak anywhere in the state of Vermont, I'll be glad to steam bend a nice one just for your satisfaction.
    Sheesh... the critics on this forum...
    Best of luck! (Hey- you asked)

I'll be on the lookout for that oak.

Oh - we need to debate electrolysis on the components. And - whether you shoulda sealed the tub with CPES too!

[it looks great, btw. I was supposed to do a similar treatment to our garden cart this summer, but all my roundtuits rolled away. Sometimes it's tough living on a hill!]
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Epoxy is crap.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Good grief - now you got me looking at my miserable excuse of a wheelbarrow!!

Good job!

Now convert the tub to hydraulic dump by repurposing a trim tab assembly.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

What air pressure did you use in the tyre?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Quote Originally Posted by sarnella View Post
    Good grief - now you got me looking at my miserable excuse of a wheelbarrow!!
    See? Now I've given you a worthwhile project for your spare time!

I'm just glad no one has attacked me for fixing up a metal wheelbarrow on a wooden boat forum! "It's got to be made of wood!", they would scream. Can you just imagine the outrage if the tub was made of fiberglass?

Do the same superstitions regarding the change of a boat's name apply to a wheelbarrow? It was a TrueTemper, so if you change it, the gods just may display their True Temper and smite you. Just sayin.....

We don't go in for such fanciness here and besides there are three wheelbarrows to choose from. All their tubs are plastic which is a gross aberration I know. Mostly my wife uses them for gardening chores. One or the other is usually got a load of something organic smelling in it. If she has a lot to haul I help out unless it is a Whole Bunch..... then we hire strong young men to do it. A guy's gotta know his limitations.

Good job.

Jeff

You've taken very good care of it. Most wheelbarrows don't make it to 25

Wonderful Thread
    Love it
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

OCD anyone?

Wheelbarrow races. It's already got the basic livery, BRG. Forget the waterline, she demands racing stripes. If you do the stripes in yellow I'll find you a Lotus badge for it.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    What air pressure did you use in the tyre?
    And... any sense of how many g's she'll pull when cornering?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And here I was feeling all Mr. Fixit having finally gotten around to squirting some oil on my wheelbarrow's squeaky wheel.

Cool Re: A bit of Folly for the Bilge

Lift with your legs, not your back.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Good to know your skill set! I need the underside of my JD mower attachment blasted and painted, something that repels wet grass. It’s ‘in the mail’!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Looks great!

Tomorrow is the first day of winter. Now what?

With a great start like that we are expecting big things from you.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Back to the name subject:
    Juan Deere.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Looks great!

Tomorrow is the first day of winter. Now what?

With a great start like that we are expecting big things from you.
    This restored classic will now be used on a regular basis to bring in firewood every few weeks (I keep a half cord of wood in the garage at a time). I'll pamper it now and leave it in my shop instead of out in the snow where it usually lives.
    The John Deere reference in post #30 gives me an idea. I should now paint it John Deere green to match my JD lawn tractor.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I did take mine apart a couple of months ago, but used Linseed oil on the handles then painted them with some leftover brown oil based paint after that dried a bit. The inside was sprayed with some leftover red spray paint. I never did get to the outside. I have another one that I rescued from my sister's trash pile that still needs new handles made. One of the small locust trees in the pasture might be used for that.

Roll out the barrow, let's have a barrow of fun!
    Mine got a new coat of green paint sloshed on recently, but no concours job like yours.