Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Needed: Design suggestions for a small sailboat for an old guy

Default Re: Needed: Design suggestions for a small sailboat for an old guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Ted, if you track down these plans, please let me know. Do you suppose that's a weighted shoal keel under the boat or just a skeg?

The flotation bags that are tied in under the foredeck would indicate the lack of a ballast keel of any sort.

Jeff

BDQ...
    (Catboats quickly get "big", one foot in OAL can almost double the displacement)

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    The flotation bags that are tied in under the foredeck would indicate the lack of a ballast keel of any sort.

Jeff
    Wouldn't the flotation bags possibly indicate a ballast keel? Put there to keep a ballast keel from dragging a capsized boat to the bottom? They could also be there simply to help an unballasted boat float higher after a capsize.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Ebihen? It has a misainier option, yes?

Peace,
    Robert

Yes:
    A309CCF2-777B-4850-9E68-3D00BD132792.jpg1599678A-6B21-47A0-BE23-012A0480D0AE.jpg
    C4E5EEAA-FEE5-4E71-89D7-04BBD39C836E.jpg
    Last edited by John hartmann; 12-23-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Add image

Oh, yes! So, so much yes. Thanks, for putting up pictures, Yo.

Peace,
    Robert

That Ebihen sure looks enticing. Sturdy, robust and dry. Plenty of benches to stretch out on. Plus the area for the motor.
    So many boats and only one lifetime to build them....

That Ebihen sure looks enticing. Sturdy, robust and dry. Plenty of benches to stretch out on. Plus the area for the motor.
    So many boats and only one lifetime to build them....
    If I’m not mistaken, there are a few sizes from 15-18 feet, or, so, too. No idea if they are straight stretches or enlargements, though.

I recently went through the same type search as I was downsizing a dream. It’s since been downsized further, but gosh, don’t I know what you mean.

There are dozens of boats I’d love to build, and use. Ah, well. There’s always models...

Peace,
    Robert
    Last edited by amish rob; 12-25-2018 at 09:20 PM.

I know you said you don't need the rowing characteristics, but an east coast Hvalsoe 18 would great. Apart from that, I'm pretty happy with how the Navigator is coming together.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

Ted, if you track down these plans, please let me know. Do you suppose that's a weighted shoal keel under the boat or just a skeg?
    Rich - I am getting close. there are three variants plus a developmental. Are you interested in building a class legal one?
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Rich - I am getting close. there are three variants plus a developmental. Are you interested in building a class legal one?
    I'm just looking for a daysailer to putter around in, so class legal is not necessary. Just what is the boat?

My weakness in sailboat design selection is going for looks over function. I want something stable like the Ebihen, but it looks a bit tubby. If I go for classic sweeping looks, it usually costs in terms of stability.

Not so catboats! Nice lines and huge stability.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    That's why I'm leaning in that direction.
    This all came about the other day when I was talking to my wife about having no winter woodworking projects going on. She unexpectedly asked if I wanted to fix up another old boat. I immediately took this as a green light to build new! We'll see. But, it's always good to get the research going.

Rich,

I'd look at a Gartside Jessie or a Vivier Ilur/ Beg Meil.

At a length of 15-16ft my observations...

1. A boat 6 ft wide is a lot better in gusts than a 5ft sail and oar boat. It will heal less readily, roll more slowly, take a gust or give you a lot more time to adjust, than sail and oar boat that you have to react quickly to to prevent excessive heal or even downflooding. Its more reassuring, more relaxing frankly not keeping one eye on the leeward gunwale. Going to 7ft risks developing weather helm at this length as the boat heals. This can be ignored, but a 6ft beam boat can remain neutral as it heels. Your afternoon won't be spent fighting a tiller. There are many other factors involved here though- just making a generalisation, that 15ft by 7ft plus boats are becoming distorted and will become too stable inverted without ballast.

2. A boat that is quick and simple to rig, can't sail to windward as one that has shrouds, spreaders, luff tensioners, a jib and kickers etc. In reality comparing an unstayed gaff or lug to a stayed bermudan fractional sloop will cost you 10-15 degrees of pointing. It doesn't matter all that much off the race course, but there is a sense of achievement getting to windward at high pointing angles, and its a lot quicker in VMG. It can make sailing easier in confined rivers with moored boats - much less tacking too and fro etc. That does mean a jib, extra sheets, halyard tensioners, rig tension and controls etc. It can take not just 30 minutes but frankly several months even years to get it set right...There are spin off benefits..a stayed rig is lighter - less healing - giving a broader wind range that you can sail with full sail too.

3. A gaff catboat sail does pull really well off the wind. Better than a sloops, and a bit better than a lug I think for some reason. Still this pales into insignificance compared to a gennaker. If you can I'd build a small bowsprit to launch one off - they are easy to use single handed if you bother with a stayed rig. Its not just a boat max speeds, they are useful for dinghy causing to go from 1 knot and struggling over tide to 3-4 knots and getting home in a light breeze.

4. Side decks and coamings make life less stressful when the boat heels - you can pretty much forget downflooding provided you half upright. It also reduces freeboard to achieve the same benefit and stiffens the boat. The backrest angle is an important detail. It gets you protected in the boat. Sitting on the seats of a 6ft boat is like sitting on the rail of a 5ft beam sail and oar boat.

5. A fractional bermudan sloop sail plan is best for sailing performance. That can be a single mast or Gunter for a small spar weight penalty. A boat on a mooring is better as a Gunter to lower c of g boat weight unrigged. Matched with a jib you'll get more efficiency and a mast closer to the centre of the boat. That gives no punctures through the foredeck, easier positioning of the kicker and an easier hoist of the mast when rigging into a mast gate. Dealing with jib sheets is a distraction solo, but the boat will point higher with it, and a reefed mainsail matched to swapping a Genoa to a Jib keeps the centre of effort in the same place. Keeping the sheet tensions low with a non overlapping jib is better. This will have to managed one handed. I've had some issues uncleating loaded jib lines this year, so I'm swapping in some Spinlock cleats which release with a flick. Performance to windward comes from foresail luff length not foot length. A single low aspect gaff or lug instead changes its centre of effort with sheeting angle somewhat and put the mast in the bow. Its not good for the boat or shroud staying angles either.

6. If you want a round bilge boat, you really should go for a smooth finish to lower wetted area, either strip or cold molded. The laps add wetted area back to the resistance of a chined hull. Additionally a chined hull only has to be a bit longer than a round one to have equal resistance, so it's not a given that round always sails better.

7. I've noticed that a 6ft beam boat won't cut through chop like a 5ft beam boat did. Wavemaking resistance is higher, entry angle is higher. Unavoidable effects of a wider waterline. There is more of a thud, that I remember cleaving in an Oughtred double ender. A wider waterline also rolls and heaves more in greener waves and will have more resistance powered by a low Hp electric engine.

What's your optimum...depends on how much you can be frigged with on the rigging side. If you accept shrouds, I'd say a Gartside Jessie. A Beg Meil will go great off the wind with the gaff main. If no shrouds, I reckon an unstayed Vivier sloop Ilur with a flying jib and the lug main or the smaller Skylark. The Skylark I looked at Lyme being launched, built traditional, appeared devoid of racing distortion, a fabulous shape. Possibly the most beautiful dinghy I've ever seen, but thats subjective. The slightly narrower (half a ft) Ilur/ Beg Meil hull might be more easily pushed with an electric outboard as they seem to still row OK. How much total boat you need is going to be a matter on conditions and how much weight you happy to manoeuver. Generally as people get older they look for lighter smaller boats it has to be said.

8. With dicky knees, you really need to be looking at freeboard height and total boat depth measurements. You really need to get your knee bent at 90, back to an angled coaming to get comfortable probably. That will need more depth than most designers draw. Vivier's boats have several inches more than most, a factor which makes them feel a lot bigger in person who looking around them. Solo you need to be able to get forward to the jib cleats, which may mean a longer tiller than drawn.

I currently sail a boat similar to Jessie. I've been delighted with its lack of weather helm compared to a previous catboat, ability to point higher than previous lug rigged boats, find the beam, decks and coamings more relaxing. I leave it rigged at the waterside though. Could I rig it from a trailer - I don't think I could be bothered with it, too lazy after knowing a lug is straight up and down. But I'm more interested in just being on the water than racing. I found my Tammie Norris and Tirrik sloop rigs great performers too, but I always seemed to be untangling lines for longer than I'd like after the boat had bounced around to the slip way. I would have swapped them for a single lug and taken the pointing hit for trailer sailing. I miss the gaff cat's sail off the wind that I had on the Cormorant though. Gaffs sails are great offwind, especially old baggy ones!
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 12-24-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Edward,
    A lot to digest there! Thanks for all the input.

It's not hard to add a few controls to a unstayed single sail rig to get it to point with a sloop rig. OK Dinghies, Finns, Lasers etc have sorted this out. A vang for boomed rigs, a serious downhaul, perhaps a couple of vang like lines for a balanced lug. A traveler that can get adjusted. Clean up the head of a lug by putting the yard in a sleeve instead of lacing it on.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

That Ebihen sure looks enticing. Sturdy, robust and dry. Plenty of benches to stretch out on. Plus the area for the motor...
    I like it.
    It looks honest, in the manner of French work boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    6. If you want a round bilge boat, you really should go for a smooth finish to lower wetted area, either strip or cold molded. The laps add wetted area back to the resistance of a chined hull. Additionally a chined hull only has to be a bit longer than a round one to have equal resistance, so it's not a given that round always sails better.
    Wow, what a goldmine of knowledge. I used to sail waters near the OP and found with mountains lining up crosswise to prevailing winds, you mostly parry with gusts. So a very rounded unballasted hull may be a handful to keep upright. My boat had an oval cross section which had an endearing quality of just being able to rise up and plane under max power of a broad reach. It gave a reluctant but majestic reward without going to a flatter harsher-riding easy-planing hull. It had a beam of 6.5 ft and 15' length with boom and unlapped hull for less wetted rowing surface. I guess I now prefer harder chines (maybe double ones?).
    Last edited by rudderless; 12-25-2018 at 12:18 AM.

I think the Stir Ven 19 by Vivier is worthwile. Even if you dont want her the pictures are good, showing interesting details like dyneema rigging that works well on a traditional looking hull.

This thread is mid-winter torture. So many exquisite boats!

Since you mentioned Penny Fee:

IMG_0088.jpg

Damn sideways photos!!

Good luck with your choice.
    Almost everything about boats involves so much more time and money than one anticipates that rational and accurate planning will deter even starting. Ian McColgin

Quote Originally Posted by rudderless View Post
    Wow, what a goldmine of knowledge. I used to sail waters near the OP and found with mountains lining up crosswise to prevailing winds, you mostly parry with gusts. So a very rounded unballasted hull may be a handful to keep upright. My boat had an oval cross section which had an endearing quality of just being able to rise up and plane under max power of a broad reach. It gave a reluctant but majestic reward without going to a flatter harsher-riding easy-planing hull. It had a beam of 6.5 ft and 15' length with boom and unlapped hull for less wetted rowing surface. I guess I now prefer harder chines (maybe double ones?).
    I've found the same thing concerning wind. The small lakes I sail on are surrounded by mountains. The wind is every which way and variable. You're drifting one minute and then along comes a gust that has the lee rail an inch from the water. Very unnerving for me. I don't mind a gust, but I want a boat that can stand up to it. There is one larger lake about 45 minutes away and then there is always Lake Champlain, but that is even farther.

Nice photos, the first is in the Golfe du Morbihan during the festiveal and the last is just off my home port of La Rochelle.
    The Oppies are aluminium, better for training

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    "Nice lines" are very subjective, though. To my eyes, most catboats are either tubby or obese.

A lugsail like this, set up with a bar taut luff on a boat with a well shaped centerboard will sail surprisingly well to windward. No shrouds or jib to fool with.
    (I would have to rig a whisker pole for working off the wind)

I love that the outboard engine is a resolved issue.
    Nothing is more painful to see than a bright new outboard motor cocked up off the stern shouting to all the world "Look at me... Buy Me, I'm a Honda".

That is a force causing me to avert my eyes, dismissing the design along with all the detail and craftsmanship that went into the boat.

I hadnít looked too closely at the Ebihen before this, but the more I look, the more I really do like it.
    Much more boat than Iíll ever need, but she has a certain something that appeals to me. I think itís the very not-yachtiness I like? It seems like some fishing boat from some place, you know?

And those types appeal to me.

Plus, that rig...

Sorry for the drift.

Peace,
    Robert

Dudley Dix's Argie 15?

https://www.dixdesign.com/argie15.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post

A lugsail like this, set up with a bar taut luff on a boat with a well shaped centerboard will sail surprisingly well to windward. No shrouds or jib to fool with.
    (I would have to rig a whisker pole for working off the wind)
    A boomless sail works very well to windward with the proper sheeting angles, which I'm sure Vivier's designs have. But I have found no use in trying to pole out the sail for offwind work in my Alaska (also a boomless lug). That's because the top of the sail twists so much that you can't pole it out very far at all before the yard comes forward of the mast, inviting the dreaded "death roll" behavior.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Happy New Year!

Are there any traditional classic catboat designs around your area, from the late 1800s or from a resurgence in the 1950s? Maybe there are some examples in the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum?

We are going to build a just-for-fun diamond bottom catboat that was popular along the Gulf Coast in the 1950s, 16 foot, very beamy maybe 7'6", centerboard. The diamond bottom aka V bottom was a construction techniques used to optimize available planking lumber. And maybe a motor well that takes a small gas or electric motor, to avoid hanging over the stern.

We'd love to see one of those classic Gil Smith boats come to life!

There is a Profile on Vivier's Ilur in the August 2018 issue of Small Boats Monthly, written by John Hartmann. Plans are available and so are kits. The Ilur is the preferred cruising boat of Roger Barnes, there was a write up about her in the August 2018 Messing About in Boats and she is heavily referenced in Barne's Dinghy Cruising Companion.

John Hartmann lives in central Vermont. He built his Ilur, WAXWING, to sail the 1000 Islands region of the St. Lawrence River, Lake Champlain, and along the coast of Maine.

Length 14′8″
    Waterline length 13′5″
    Beam 5′ 7″
    Draft, board up 10″
    Draft, board down 3′
    Displacement 930 lbs
    Sail area 129 to 151 sq ft, depending on rig

signalcharlie,
    John lives about 25 miles from me. He finished building his Ilur at the same time I finished my Hvalsoe13. We launched them side by side on a nearby lake. The Ilur is a fantastic design. Stable, roomy and safe. It is on my list of possibilities. Word has it that John is starting to build a new, bigger boat. Perhaps he'll share with us. I'll be heading over to his house later this week to talk designs with him.

signalcharlie,
    John lives about 25 miles from me. He finished building his Ilur at the same time I finished my Hvalsoe13. We launched them side by side on a nearby lake. The Ilur is a fantastic design. Stable, roomy and safe. It is on my list of possibilities. Word has it that John is starting to build a new, bigger boat. Perhaps he'll share with us. I'll be heading over to his house later this week to talk designs with him.
    There might also be some candidates in the 2019 edition of Small Boats, on newstands now and available digital from WoodenBoat. Our Penobscot 14 and Drascombe Lugger are in there, but those might be too small/too big for what you are looking for.

Cheers
    Kent and Skipper

So far I like Harbinger, Spartina, and Small.

I'd vote for Spartina--there used to be a video of one tacking back and forth on Dylan Winter's site but I can't find it anywhere now.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    A boomless sail works very well to windward with the proper sheeting angles, which I'm sure Vivier's designs have. But I have found no use in trying to pole out the sail for offwind work in my Alaska (also a boomless lug). That's because the top of the sail twists so much that you can't pole it out very far at all before the yard comes forward of the mast, inviting the dreaded "death roll" behavior.

Tom
    A sprit-boom solves many problems, the death roll being one of them. It's also a real pleasure to spread all your canvas wing on wing and head directly downwind. Nothing wrong with the tops twisting a bit and spilling wind in the gusts. Harden up the snotter and flatten your sail or ease up on it and let them belly out according to conditions.
    sprit boom.jpg
    Last edited by darroch; 01-16-2019 at 12:21 PM.

darroch,

nice boat!

Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    A sprit-boom solves many problems, the death roll being one of them. It's also a real pleasure to spread all your canvas wing on wing and head directly downwind.
    Sure. Looks pretty, too. Even if it is slower than reaching and gybing your way downwind...

Quote Originally Posted by darroch View Post
    Nothing wrong with the tops twisting a bit and spilling wind in the gusts. Harden up the snotter and flatten your sail or ease up on it and let them belly out according to conditions.
    One caveat: If the tops twist off enough that the tip of the yard moves forward of the mast, you are inviting problems like the "death roll" and capsize to windward.

I can see that a sprit boom is an improvement in that it offers more ability to control sail shape, especially off the wind. It's an un-improvement if the pure simplicity of a boomless rig is something you enjoy. I'm lazy enough to prefer pure simplicity over most improvements. Others (quite sensibly) make the other choice.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I was trying to offer a solution to your whisker pole problem. Sometimes we shape a course because of obstructions or traffic and don't have the option of reaching and gybing downwind. In the broken wing configuration pictured above speed reduction is the point. If the yard is twisting off too much you should reef. I don't believe you're lazy or simple.