Thread: Lacking This Common Nutrient Could Actually Increase Your Risk of Depression

Default Lacking This Common Nutrient Could Actually Increase Your Risk of Depression

A lack of vitamin D can increase the risk of depression by up to 75 percent in older people, according to a new study that involved four years of follow-up research findings that are worrying considering how many people don't get enough vitamin D later in life.
    With late life depression having a knock-on effect on quality of life, how soon people go into residential care, and even the chance of an early death, boosting vitamin D levels could offer new opportunities for tackling these problems in older people.
    Vitamin D supplements aren't difficult to come by and are relatively safe to take, so the researchers behind the study are calling for updated guidelines on recommended vitamin D intake guidelines that could have a real impact on the older population.
    "This is the largest representative and most comprehensive study of depression risk and vitamin D status in older adults ever conducted in Ireland," says one of the researchers, Robert Briggs from Trinity College Dublin in Ireland.
    "Our findings will provide useful information to help inform public health policy particularly regarding the proposition of the usefulness of vitamin D treatment/supplementation for depression."
    The study covered 3,965 people aged over 50 taking part in the The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA). After initial assessments, researchers checked back in on the participants after two years and after four years.

(CONT'D AT LINK)
    Lacking This Common Nutrient Could Actually Increase Your Risk of Depression (LINK)

#include [ std-disclaimer ]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: Lacking This Common Nutrient Could Actually Increase Your Risk of Depression

The best source of vitamin D is sunlight on skin. Supplements are nowhere near as effective. Just dont get sunburned, stay out of the sun at peak intensity and build a light tan gradually.
    The naturist movement have known this for ages, their membership has lower rates of depression, lower rates of bone embrittlement in older people, lower rates of skin cancer and longer active lives than average.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Default Re: Lacking This Common Nutrient Could Actually Increase Your Risk of Depression

Oh yeah - "seasonal affective disorder" is mostly vitamin D deficiency. It's why the Vikings got so serious about their drinking.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

You can get vitamin D from drinking? Who knew...

I had someone telling me yesterday almost exactly the same thing about looking at the sea, seaside communities with lowers stats of depression etc.
    So now I know you should sit in the sun drinking beer looking at the sea.

At my doctor's recommendation, I am taking some Vitamin D to hopefully avoid recurrence.

https://www.cancer.org/latest-news/v...ncer-risk.html
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Looking at the sea means getting more sunlight from the reflection. It works. That's one of the reasons we burn more easily when out fishing.

The light has to hit your skin though. Too many clothes or sunscreen and it won't work as well. Also, the light reacts with naturally occurring oils in and on the skin. Washing too often lessens the effect.

If true, one would expect depression to be more prevalent among dark skinned people at his latitudes. I'm thinking, doesn't Minneapolis have a large Somali population?

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I had someone telling me yesterday almost exactly the same thing about looking at the sea, seaside communities with lowers stats of depression etc.
    We already knew that.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    If true, one would expect depression to be more prevalent among dark skinned people at his latitudes. I'm thinking, doesn't Minneapolis have a large Somali population?
    Huh? What's skin colour got to with it?

Around here Vitamin D3 is practically mandatory especially in winter. I do 2,000 IU daily.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Huh? What's skin colour got to with it?

The light skinned people come from high latitudes, and their skin absorbs more of the suns rays, so makes more Vitamin D than the darker skins which evolved in areas near the equator.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Skin, thats sailing uniform.

John Welsford

Light skin color probably evolved as an adaptation to reduced insolation at higher latitudes. Thus if you move people with lots of melanin to higher latitudes with less direct sunlight, they make less Vitamin D. So skin color has pretty much everything to do with it.
    Modern migrations thus make natural experiments to examine how big an effect it is