Thread: Alden Malabar II for sale.....

Default Alden Malabar II for sale.....

on www.sailingtexas.com. Boat's in Texas, for $41,000.

If you read the magazine you may be familiar with her?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Default Re: Alden Malabar II for sale.....

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    on www.sailingtexas.com. Boat's in Texas, for $41,000.

If you read the magazine you may be familiar with her?

Mickey Lake
    Launched in 2010. Hard not to want to take a look. This boat should have been polished before the posting of photos.

678E85C6-A494-4725-BA38-1292AFF00E02.jpeg

D3D55B1E-1A33-4023-ADB8-D158D69A27D4.jpeg
    A pictures is worth a thousand words but a challenging meme stumps the ignorant.

41k? why would you ever build a big boat? That is a total giveaway and there is no guarantee they will even get that.
    whatever rocks your boat

I have said for years that unless you are getting paid to use a boat it's kind of a silly thing to do.

There is a 1930 Bjarne Aas six metre for sale in Port Huron for $5700 with trailer. All it needs is a little planking, a new deck, and all of the rigging and line package (it does have an aluminum rig). This is listed on the North American 6mR class website. The boat just under it is listed for 125K POUNDS! Of course, it's raceable right now and like all of these boats, has an awesome pedigree.

Thing about it is, I have heard rumors of sixes where $300K US was spent to restore the boat to race-winning form. Meanwhile, a boat like 'Frenzy', the Britton Chance designed six available in Port Madison, is available for $25K US! And I know that boat and the guy who rigged it and I know that is a very fine six (it is one of the 'in between' boats, one of the early moderns). The moral of all of this is that you CAN find great used wooden boats out there. For a guy like me with a limited budget, limited time and no shop to work from, you'd be crazy to rebuild a fine wooden boat, and you'd be crazy to build new. The only option should be a boat like the one above, in great shape with a heart-broken owner willing to give it away to a turkey like me.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I remember the article when she was launched. $41k for essentially a brand new Malibar. What an incredible value, and what a sad statement about the wooden boat market.

Somebody should buy this and go cruising. A long route through the caribbean on the way back home to either coast would be a great way to spend the next year of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by j.madison View Post
    i remember the article when she was launched. $41k for essentially a brand new malibar. What an incredible value, and what a sad statement about the wooden boat market.

Somebody should buy this and go cruising. A long route through the caribbean on the way back home to either coast would be a great way to spend the next year of your life.

why must you torture me so?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

It's a good thing that Texas is so far away. I'd be sorely tempted. What a value!
    I just pulled out Issue 238 and reread the article.
    The guy was a doctor and it took him 20 years to build, mostly by himself, finishing when he was in his mid 70's.
    In a mishap on launch day, his foot was crushed between the boat and a cement pier and had to be amputated. He had a false foot fitted and carried on, sailing the day every day. The article was written in 2014 and he was 79, so that would make him 83 or so now. Probably time to give up sailing such a large boat.
    I hope it finds a good home.

I just received the latest issue of WBM and the boat is listed there for $31,000.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post

I just received the latest issue of WBM and the boat is listed there for $31,000.
    Wow. Maybe being sold by his heirs? All those schooner dreamers trying to save rotted out hulks- here is a screaming deal on a solid boat.

What a tough time to be a wooden boat builder...

There's a good one on LI that may be coming up for sale too.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    There's a good one on LI that may be coming up for sale too.
    John, When I saw this Malabar schooner, I thought of you. Maybe time to move up to something bigger/newer then Wandering Star? It would be the queen of Mt. Sinai Harbor, no doubt!

Thanks Rich. While Malabars are a bit longer, WS is definitely bigger. Having recently sailed Bill R's Tao out to Greenport and back has cured me of the desire to own a gaff schooner. My marconi ketch is not at all hard to single hand. While not as beautiful, she is roomier stiffer and more weatherly.

If I could sell my boat tomorrow, I would buy this boat tomorrow! Anyone want to take a boat off my hands?
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Thanks Rich. While Malabars are a bit longer, WS is definitely bigger. Having recently sailed Bill R's Tao out to Greenport and back has cured me of the desire to own a gaff schooner. My marconi ketch is not at all hard to single hand. While not as beautiful, she is roomier stiffer and more weatherly.
    Was Tao that green schooner that lost her bowsprit in a storm years ago? (Came adrift and hit a pier) Is that an Alden?

Yes, that's her. A cold molded Malabar II.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    41k? why would you ever build a big boat?
    Why do you say this? Just because the resale market is weak? The guys from Granby, MA, have me thinking of building an Adkins Eric, or even an Ingrid. That said, there's an Ingrid in San Diego for sale to someone willing to renew her. But, that said, there's something about the idea of building from scratch that is very appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G. View Post
    41k? why would you ever build a big boat? That is a total giveaway and there is no guarantee they will even get that.
    Wasn't this boat a lifetime build? I think building it was the point, not selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Wasn't this boat a lifetime build? I think building it was the point, not selling it.
    The boat was a lifetime project and the guy got some good years out of it. I suppose he's selling because of age. The price is very low, but he was a physician so I doubt he'll suffer financially.

Quote Originally Posted by chollapete View Post
    Why do you say this? Just because the resale market is weak? The guys from Granby, MA, have me thinking of building an Adkins Eric, or even an Ingrid. That said, there's an Ingrid in San Diego for sale to someone willing to renew her. But, that said, there's something about the idea of building from scratch that is very appealing.
    We have 12 tons of cold molded Atkin Eric (3 layers WRC + glass in epoxy on Iroko backbone) nearly finished (lead keel on, beta engine in, spars and interior) for £10k in the UK. Built to 36ft.

https://www.boatshed.com/william_atk...at-225367.html
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 12-19-2018 at 07:46 PM.