Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I get some clarification please; Skiff or Dory?

Default Re: Can I get some clarification please; Skiff or Dory?

So not much point in employing a shallow v in a dory?

Quote Originally Posted by Veinot View Post
    The Tolman was first developed with dory hull; but, now has a skiff bottom. Dory sides with skiff bottom for planeing.

Bottom 1/2" thick sides 3/8" thick. Both bottom and sides fiberglass with epoxy inside and out.

Bottom does not have a steep angle at bow. From chine to keep there is an angle...but not so steep.

Weight the Standards...except mine are ...usual center consoles at 700+ - lbs. Mine has a cabin and 2 bunks and porta poti...2400+ lbs...but more heavily built.

Check www.Tolmanalaskanskiff.com for more precise details.

The Nexus St. Pierre dory is somewhat modified from the original, pure displacement form. It has much less rocker in the bottom, and a wider transom, with the engine placed a foot or 2 forward of the transom in a well. Semidisplacement speeds, or higher, are quite possible. I see one was built in NZ, and used a 60 HP outboard. They had to add spray rails, so I suspect that one can get up and go pretty well.

That would be my opinion. But I'm one who will just slow down and take my time in rough water. Others want to open the throttle and head for home asap. It's that bunch that prefer big motors and deep Vs.
    -Dave

I don't think I have too much of a choice, from what I have just read deep V's cost a bunch to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    It's mostly about comfort. The more V, the less the boat will pound. Of course, slowing down reduces pounding considerably, too. The true dory types have very narrow bottoms, which in itself will make the boat ride more comfortably than a skiff type that has a much wider flat bottom.
    Most Tolmans, yes with the skiff bottom, can get up and go with small engines...60 hp and higher. My 20' was recommended to have up to 90hp. Since I mentioned my boat is heavier by my design. Instead of having 1/4" bulkhead built up with 2 x 4" boards. My cabin bulkhead is 3 /4" ply with fg covering. House roof 2 layers 3 /8" ply so I could form a curved roof. So, I have a Mercury 115up Optimax...top speed 36.
    Last edited by jimbaldwin; 12-18-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Mis spacing of hp.

I strongly recommend that you buy and read The Nature of Boats by Dave Gerr. It will answer so many of your quwstion about hull shape and performance.
    Here is a link and it may be available from Woodenboat as well, Best $25 you will ever spend.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nature-Boats-...ature+of+boats

Quote Originally Posted by Veinot View Post
    I don't think I have too much of a choice, from what I have just read deep V's cost a bunch to run.
    The cost a bunch to run if you want to go fast, otherwise, not so much. Read the book

Your boats real ability and your real knowledge and skill define what and where you go and what you do on the water. The St. Pierre Dory in its variations is a great boat. the slow boat will not go as far as the faster boat. but that can really be ok....

The St. Pierre Dory house can go only one area of hull. Tolman or any planning boat can have any variation of house...big or small cabin.

Amazon only has 6 copies of book at a good price.

Have you gone on the St. Pierre Dory www? Maybe, if they have a forum maybe they can assist.

I think so been on many of them.

Tolman does not have a high keel. Has a shallow keel which tapers out to nothing the last foot of bottom. Less disruption of water flow off bottom for outboard props. There is a fiberglass covered board on each side of keel about 18" from the shallow keel . This allows the Tolman to groundout on a beach. Also, promoted some lift and helps hull track straight or keeps hull from sliding sideways as the hull turns.

You cannot really compare a St Pierre dory to a Tolman Skiff. Different hull forms and typical operating speeds…. And different motions…. Renn had a St Pierre double ended dory. He later abandoned it saying it was wonderfully seaworthy but he soon tired of being passed in the bay every day, both heading out to sea dn returning… it was too slow. Too slow is relative also. We run our Tolman 27 to the canyons regularly and 20 kts is fine for me. 55-80 nm runs. But many others scoff at us as they go by at 35 kts. But – we get up to 3.5 nmpg so I’ll pass them at the gas pump.
    I’d say that both of these hulls will take care of your safety…. There is a huge difference between what’s uncomfortable and what’s safe. The tolman is an inherently good sea keeping boat for a few reasons. I’m sure the St Pierre is also. I have never been on a St Pierre. I like the looks. I have built several Tolman Skiffs including both of mine 23 feet and 27 feet. My suggestion is go for a ride on both of these boats. I can take you on my 27 skiff in Md. I’m sure somebody will offer to give you a dory ride.

Deeper vees are for some, but my money is on less Vee, my boat has 12 degrees at the transom…. I power it with a single 150 HP Honda and its 27’ by 8’4” max beam midship. I tow it with a ten year old chevy small 8 cylinder gasser. Less vee means you can power it with less HP. This means less fuel. More vee, bigger engines… more fuel… and it snowballs
    My 27 ft skiff with pilothouse and cabin is about #2500 lbs dry. Email me if you need more info

DavidNolan600@gmail.com
    Attached Images Attached Images