Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carry on Chippie

Default Re: Carry on Chippie

Never mind it really doesn't matter now pity I would have liked to impart that.

I imagine the "second reason is "he doesn't know" there's no shame in that.
    Last edited by Chippie; 12-22-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Never mind it really doesn't matter now.

Clear he deck.
    Last edited by Chippie; 12-22-2018 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Yes, please do.

Sorry old boy I'm back.

Chippie, I'm really confused on what it is you are trying to accomplish. All you've done is muddy up one of the best and longest running threads on this forum.

Could you just make your point, accept that some of us will disagree with you, and move on to more important issues?
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

You are right and that distresses me it was not intentional.
    I originally opened this Thread to avoid just that.

I realised that Jim was entering into a problem area that I had experienced in the 60's and I thought I could offer advice.
    Jim is considering it and will decide which path to take.

During the course of this issue I have asked anyone, how is the sheer line at that top strake arrived at, and there is no answers or ideas forthcoming.
    As it is fundamental in the application of a timber fitting of this nature I am trying to engage people who have design abilities to look at this and give Jim advice.
    We have people on the Forum who it would appear do have this ability yet questions go unanswered.
    Although I have provided many prompts (read previous posts) to help them they fall on stony ground.
    I have said it is relatively simple, and the information is on the drawings if you are capable of bringing the factors together.

I see that the latest posters offer no solutions to Jim's problem, and those that do are encouraging him into continue into what could be failure.
    Jim himself admits he has a problem so why not take remedial action now?
    I am of the opinion that the posters who are applauding Jim's efforts are unwittingly, creating undue pressure to achieve results, and into taking uncalculated risks.

It's my bat and ball, and I'll play this Thread as I want to ( with I hope Scott's permission)

The Senior Foreman Shipwright is approached by one of his team and informed that a gunnel to be fitted isn't responding to the efforts being made.
    He'd had a few drinks the night before and the wife hadn't darned his socks and he thought he would export some of the anguish coursing through his veins onto someone else.
    He made his way to the design office explained the problem in hand and asked advice on how to tackle the job.
    They were obligated to come up with answers.

So I ask again of the qualified people in our midst What do you think the answers would be.

Seriously mind

Of topic

Last edited by Chippie; 12-23-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post

I realised that Jim was entering into a problem area that I had experienced in the 60's and I thought I could offer advice.

During the course of this issue I have asked anyone, how is the sheer line at that top strake arrived at, and there is no answers or ideas forthcoming.
    As it is fundamental in the application of a timber fitting of this nature I am trying to engage people who have design abilities to look at this and give Jim advice.
    We have people on the Forum who it would appear do have this ability yet questions go unanswered.
    Although I have provided many prompts (read previous posts) to help them they fall on stony ground.
    I have said it is relatively simple, and the information is on the drawings if you are capable of bringing the factors together.

I see that the latest posters offer no solutions to Jim's problem, and those that do are encouraging him into continue into what could be failure.
    I am of the opinion that the posters who are applauding Jim's efforts are unwittingly, creating undue pressure to achieve results, and into taking uncalculated risks.

Oh, Ok.

I haven't any background to offer up any advice on such a thing, so I usually just wait around and see what Jim does. Throughout his thread, Jim has proven himself to be an excellent wood worker, boat builder, and teacher. A Master Carpenter that any of us would be happy to apprentice under. He would also be the first to probably say that he is none of these things. He is as humble as the come, save for a few well earned pats on the back. He has accepted input when it was appropriate, and done so with grace and dignity; as well as politely saying, "How about I do it my way?" to other well-meaning advisers. Perhaps you are right, and there has been some pressure created to live up to a perceived expectation. All of us would hope not.

My suspicion is that the limited communication that can be accomplished through text has greatly impeded your attempt to accomplish good. Its just a suspicion. As well, things seemed to get off on the wrong foot, and several of Jim's supporters jumped on you. This probably overshadowed any positive intent. Again, the limits of text, and the internet.

Ben Sebens, RN

Ben Sebens, RN

I would have appreciated that in my armoury in my working life when dealing with the Design Office.

Anyway I decided to investigate the gunwhale problem further and found this interesting.
    https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...oble&FORM=VDRE

Quote Originally Posted by BBSebens View Post
    My suspicion is that the limited communication that can be accomplished through text has greatly impeded your attempt to accomplish good. Its just a suspicion. As well, things seemed to get off on the wrong foot, and several of Jim's supporters jumped on you. This probably overshadowed any positive intent. Again, the limits of text, and the internet.
    Yes.

Happy Christmas, Chippie, and to you all.

Regards,
    John.

Thank you John.

I return those Greetings to You and Yours and may the Future be a Happy one.

Merry Christmas to All.

All the best to you and Mrs Chippy. Have a good new year.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

It's my bat and ball, and I'll play this Thread as I want to ( with I hope Scott's permission)

The Senior Foreman Shipwright is approached by one of his team and informed that a gunnel to be fitted isn't responding to the efforts being made.
    He'd had a few drinks the night before and the wife hadn't darned his socks and he thought he would export some of the anguish coursing through his veins onto someone else.
    He made his way to the design office explained the problem in hand and asked advice on how to tackle the job.

So I ask again of the qualified people in our midst What do you think the answers would be.

Seriously mind

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    All the best to you and Mrs Chippy. Have a good new year.

Assuming that is a reply to my previous Post it is quite likely.

Anything to avoid making a decision were they could be held to account

Seriously mind
    No where near enough information.
    Flat sheer, powderhorn, or kicking up forward?
    Full or fine deck line?
    Little or lots of flare forward?
    What scantlings?
    And most important, what had been tried and failed.

No where near enough information.
    Flat sheer, powderhorn, or kicking up forward?
    Full or fine deck line?
    Little or lots of flare forward?
    What scantlings?
    And most important, what had been tried and failed.
    Stop RRsing about peerie you know full well that this discussion originated from the Catboat Thread and all the information you should require is available on that thread.
    You can even Google the plans if you should require them.

Stop RRsing about peerie you know full well that this discussion originated from the Catboat Thread and all the information you should require is available on that thread.
    You can even Google the plans if you should require them.
    Mr Ledger is experiencing no difficulty with his rub rails, and so does not need any advice from either of us.

Now drop it do before you really annoy someone.

Mr Ledger is experiencing no difficulty with his rub rails, and so does not need any advice from either of us.

Now drop it do before you really annoy someone.

Thanks for frightening my wife, as she says we live on a small island, and you are only a short drive away, so I will accede to your demand.

???

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippie
    It is not I that you risked annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Gotta toss in my 2 cents. Mr. Ledger is creating a work of art here & has shown everyone that he is a very bright & thorough builder. I know I've learned a ton. While advice is good, this constant picking away at his process (I might say "chipping away"...) is getting really tiresome - not to mention plain old rude. Jim has been kind enough to share the build process with us & I hope he continues to, so please back off!

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    [Sorry if I've overstepped my bounds Jim]

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    ^+1

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    ^+38.

Quote Originally Posted by Geftb View Post
    Jims all over it. He invites thought and discussion, not loudmouth hero nonsense.
    Your a patient man Jim!

Sometimes you are a tad too blinkered when the bit is between your teeth.

Chippie
    Was this meant to be a reply on the Thread?
    You closed your thread, so a PM was the only avenue open to us.
    Hope that you both enjoyed Christmass and have a good new year.
    Regards
    Nick

Above is PM from peerie.

I was unaware that the Posters mentioned had been on this thread, and upon retracing my steps I find them on the CBT. I accepted their views, and have not posted on that thread since reading them.

Are you an elected spokeperson for them?

I thought they voiced their feelings admirably themselves, and respected their wishes.

Now then l ask you to read this #31

That was my initial Post and came about because Jim asked me to leave his Thread.
    I complied and now I would rather look at this Thread as although instigated by Jim's Post is in no other way connected.T

Then if you can join in answer my questions if possible.

Above is PM from peerie.

I was unaware that the Posters mentioned had been on this thread, and upon retracing my steps I find them on the CBT. I accepted their views, and have not posted on that thread since reading them.

Are you an elected spokeperson for them?

I thought they voiced their feelings admirably themselves, and respected their wishes.

Now then l ask you to read this #31

That was my initial Post and came about because Jim asked me to leave his Thread.
    I complied and now I would rather look at this Thread as although instigated by Jim's Post is in no other way connected.T

Then if you can join in answer my questions if possible.

Chippy, I am finding that you are bcoming a bore. I have no interest in playing your games.
    I will leave this question of yours to someone who may be interested.

I liked this thread a lot more when it was closed...
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Chip, can I call you Chip? Chip, why are you continuing to beat on this particular dead horse? As you said, its relatively simple. its just a rub rail. I still can't really comprehend why you continue this.

Ben Sebens, RN

Looks a lot like stalking.

Mind you eight out of ten Brits can't tell stalk from nutter.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I liked this thread a lot more when it was closed...
    Didn't we all...

Happy New Year To All.

There is no obligation for reading this Thread so please make an effort to engage, and if you can answer my questions do so. If you can't then there is no reason to degenerate me.
    OK I may ramble on and belabour if it annoys you refrain from reading my posts I ain't gonna alter now I'm afraid
    Follow the advice given to me in recent thread http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...he-Bilge/page2 "If you can't say---
    Last edited by Chippie; 01-01-2019 at 05:58 AM.

It does now.

Last edited by Chippie; 01-04-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Trying to send Photo's

Edit doesn't work for me.

I recall on some East Coast UK cobles the sheer instead of continuing to rise in a soothing curve (doesn't that sound delightful) dropped down approx. 3" on 18 footers.

The explanation I remember from old hands was that it countered the wind force at the bow, an explanation I never questioned not knowing then, nor now, anything about sailing.

Since this problem arose it made me wonder if the certain boatbuilders had a similar problem and when that query arose it could be a plausible excuse.

IMGP0547.jpg

Whoops it worked!

I found the offsets I picked up from the foyboat Lily in the 60's and made the model shown to help illustrate what I was rambling on about.
    Last edited by Chippie; 01-12-2019 at 10:16 AM.

Nicely made model. How big is it? About a foot?
    I wonder why the severe rake to the transom. Lift the stern up in following seas?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

IMGP0547.jpg

Whoops it worked!

I found the offsets I picked up from the foyboat Lily in the 60's and made the model shown to help illustrate what I was rambling on about.
    Well, Iíve no idea what youíre rambling on about, but that donít stop me from being gobsmacked every time I see one of these cobles. The hull is lovely.

Iíd like to know the size, as well. Was this a rowed and sailed model?

Peace,
    Robert

IMGP0547.jpg

Whoops it worked!

Nicely done. You should consider sending the offsetts to a museum collection, as there are hardly any cobles recorded for posterity.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Nicely made model. How big is it? About a foot?
    I wonder why the severe rake to the transom. Lift the stern up in following seas?
    LOA 18"
    Actual 18 feet OA.
    Re taper at Transom, I can't answer, although I have theories that is all they are.
    Google http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...st-Coast-Coble There may be answers there, or ask direct

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Well, I’ve no idea what you’re rambling on about, but that don’t stop me from being gobsmacked every time I see one of these cobles. The hull is lovely.

I’d like to know the size, as well. Was this a rowed and sailed model?

Peace,
    Robert
    They did sail but I never saw one doing that.

In my experience their main use was mooring ships particularly in isolation at mooring buoys, although at the quay moorings they were obviously used to cross the river to the different berths.
    I built one to use for drift netting trout and salmon, as you can go over the net instead of navigating around it, and hey turn 360 degrees in their own length under oars.
    I had a 32 footer in mind, and had built a model I have shown before on here to order scantlings but never got round to it as l had been offered a much more remunerative job in shipbuilding.
    The model I show here is the authentic lines I lifted from a boat that was 1 hundred years old, whereas the larger model I've shown before I modified the lines to give her more displacement to carry the extra weight of a Perkins Diesel.
    Last edited by Chippie; 01-13-2019 at 10:56 AM.

IMGP0547.jpg

Whoops it worked!

In my experience their main use was mooring ships particularly in isolation at mooring buoys, although at the quay moorings they were obviously used to cross the river to the different berths.
    That is precisely what foy boats were for. Most ports had foy boats of one sort or another, mostly under oars although latterly with inboard engines. Any suitable smallish boat was employed including small second hand ships lifeboats.