Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar panels 'suck up all the energy from the sun'

Default Solar panels 'suck up all the energy from the sun'

It's a commentary on SOMETHING... maybe, the state of education in the US?

A town in North Carolina has rejected a proposal for a solar farm after residents expressed fear and distrust of solar panels.

After numerous members of the public in Woodland, North Carolina, expressed their fear and mistrust of a proposal to allow Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm off Highway 258, the Woodland Town Council rejected a proposal to rezone a section of land, essentially denying approval of the solar farm.

During the public comment period preceding the rezoning vote that would allow for the solar farm, citizens expressed distrust and fear of the solar panels.

One resident, Bobby Mann, said that businesses would stop going to Woodland, and the community would suffer as a result, because the solar farms would suck up all the energy from the sun, according to the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald.

Adding insult to injury, a retired science teacher expressed concerns that plants in the vicinity of the panels would not be able to photosynthesize because of the drain on the sun, which would prevent the plants from growing.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didnít cause cancer.

Trying to assuage the irrational fears of citizens at the meeting, representatives from Strata addressed the council and citizens in attendance. One representative pointed out that the only sunlight the solar panels use to generate power is that which hits them directly...

Yet despite the proven science, the silly and irrational concerns of citizens prevailed, and not only was the solar farm blocked, but later the town council voted for a moratorium on all future solar farms.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Solar panels 'suck up all the energy from the sun'

The Onion?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

That's just infuriating.
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    The Onion?
    No, sad to say....

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...532OpwCHfl1qq4

Also,

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nd-solar-farms
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I think they should close all the universities in North Carolina because they seem to be sucking up all the intelligence.

IIRC, North Carolina has more PhDs per capita than any other state.

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    IIRC, North Carolina has more PhDs per capita than any other state.
    Exactly. That’s why there is no intelligence left for poor slobs like Bobby Mann.

Isn’t this story from like 3 years ago? I think we had a thread back then...

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Yep, 2015.
    Tom

sounded familiar.

Yup, old news about stupids
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

As usual, there's another side to the story.
    And it's very sad.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox...ina-solar-town

What's next? Oh, vaccinating against polio. smallpox, hepatitis, etc. is bad for you! Just ask our scientific genius at the helm of the ship of state! What a maroon!

LINK
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

sounded familiar.

Ok, reading the article it’s easy to see how a few quotations can misrepresent a situation. Small town with single purpose development changing the appearence of the nearby countryside. Imagine a little town all of a sudden gets surrounded by million sq ft shipping warehouses.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...nd-solar-farms

The worldwide spotlight has rattled the small town. But Manuel insisted Woodland remains a place that embraces clean energy, given its three solar farms already on the way. However, he drew the line at four solar farms, as it would give the town a disproportionate number at a time when other businesses would better serve local people. “We want to attract more businesses,” Manuel said. “We support solar farms and clean energy – clearly, that’s indicative – given that we already have three solar farms approved. We’d also like to attract other businesses like a supermarket or some kind of shopping center to buy clothing.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    And it's very sad.

Thank you, itís an example how not to implement non-fossil energy sources.
    from the article
    Energy Democracy:

But mock or don't mock, the important thing is to understand. It's not kooky beliefs driving Woodland's opposition to solar farms, it's the entirely valid perception that they are getting nothing out of the industrialization of their land ó that, at least for now, renewable energy is just one more face of a contemporary world that has devalued and forgotten them.
    For projects where there is some sort of "benefit sharing," where the community has some stake in the success of the project, NIMBY complaints all but disappear. This is one reason why renewable energy has spread so fast, and enjoys such enormous public support, in Germany: fully half the country's renewable energy is owned by individuals and co-ops, not big companies or utilities. (In Denmark, 75 percent of wind power is owned by citizen cooperatives.)

<SMH>
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

The local's fear of the unknown moving into town reminds me of 1970 when I was living in Burlington, MA

The Lahey Clinic wanted to establish a big medical facility in the town and I went to their show and tell in the high school gym.

Lahey mentioned tax revenue, job creation, etc.

But the locals who spoke didn't want Lahey because they were afraid that all those cancer patients would contaminate the town

Several spoke to that idea and the Lahey people seemed stunned and couldn't answer those fears adequately.

I left thinking that Lahey would change their minds about setting up in such a backward place but they obviously did it and seem quite successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    And it's very sad.

Thanks for posting the 'other side of the story'. I don't recall where I got the initial link, this AM... might have been Huffington Post... but had I been aware of the omitted details, I might not have created this thread, in the first place.

Still, the more extreme ignorance of SOME of the reaction to solar farms is still instructive.... considering that we have a President and cabinet who don't respect science, as far as I can tell.

So you don’t remember starting this thread exactly three years ago today? http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ht=Woodland+NC

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Thanks for posting the 'other side of the story'. I don't recall where I got the initial link, this AM... might have been Huffington Post... but had I been aware of the omitted details, I might not have created this thread, in the first place.

Still, the more extreme ignorance of SOME of the reaction to solar farms is still instructive.... considering that we have a President and cabinet who don't respect science, as far as I can tell.
    But isn’t it so much more safisfying to discover a more accurate description of the story than find a very small population to ridicule?

But the locals who spoke didn't want Lahey because they were afraid that all those cancer patients would contaminate the town
    I really didn't mean to be a point source of cancer contamination .

I am heading over there momentarily. After spending a great deal of time there this year, I am often struck with the thought that the hospital was built with sensitivity to its surroundings. I can't say that for the adjacent mall.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Slight disconnect, but a friend's old aunt had disconnected plugs in all the electrical sockets not in use, "to stop the electricity leaking out"

So you don’t remember starting this thread exactly three years ago today? http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ht=Woodland+NC
    Jeeez... now I feel like such an IDIOT!

I gave a little chuckle when I saw the date.

pretty weird coincidence

That's pretty funny.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    The Onion?
    You would think so eh but no, it’s apparenty true. The only argument against that had any merit was the zero economical benefit to the town.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

The alternative science out there that is typically against anything to do with true renewable energy is amazing. This website
    http://www.windaction.org/ which is funded by a couple of brothers from Wichita comes up with some doosies.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Slight disconnect, but a friend's old aunt had disconnected plugs in all the electrical sockets not in use, "to stop the electricity leaking out"
    How .....Thurber-esque.....
    She came naturally by her confused and groundless fears, for her own mother lived the latter years of her life in the horrible suspicion that electricity was dripping invisibly all over the house. It leaked, she contended, out of empty sockets if the wall switch had been left on. She would go around screwing in bulbs, and if they lighted up she would hastily and fearfully turn off the wall switch and go back to her Pearson's or Everybody's, happy in the satisfaction that she had stopped not only a costly but a dangerous leakage. Nothing could ever clear this up for her.

Electricity Was Leaking All Over the House

The Thurber Carnival (LINK)

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

"Why doesn't my power strip work?"

power strip.jpg

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    "Why doesn't my power strip work?"

power strip.jpg
    I saw someone do that accidentally, could work out why there was no power.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Meanwhile, down in my Carolina...

https://www.augustachronicle.com/new...n-sc-dedicated
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I saw someone do that accidentally, could work out why there was no power.
    "It is a closed-loop system, don't ya know"

Probably needs a recharge of Lucas Smoke