Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: An Ilur in Finland

Default Re: An Ilur in Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Karvonen View Post
    Congratulations on the whisky plank! - One can almost smell the wood and schavings looking at this picture!

The outer keel got into place and so it was time for the much anticipated flip over! It was a wonderful surprise to find out it's so big!

ilurbuild-23 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    Now there's some epoxy to scrape off (not much really, since I used masking tape). Then I need to saw some oak into frames and let them soak in salt water for a couple of weeks.

My workspace is so cramped that I won't be able to really see all the lines of the boat until it's finished and taken outside. But it looks very promising...

ilurbuild-22 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Promising, indeed

Cramped up, but clear and bright workshop, nice !!

So great to see your Ilur take shape!
    Wonderful workmanship!
    I look forward to your updates

Chris / Clarisa (the Ilur in PA)

Thanks Chris! I have been carefully studying and enjoying your building thread. Your Ilur looks fantastic! I might go for a bright sheerstrake too as it just looks so cool and classic.

Thank you, Otto. I am happy with my own choice but I think what is the more important aspect is that the top strake gets some type of a contrasting color. Most of the Ilurs that I have seen do have some type of a contrasting color and that seems to give the design a bit of elegance. Those builders who opted for a single color seem to stick more to the work-boat heritage. In your situation, a bright strake could have an amazing effect because it is so light. Once you have decided on a potentially bright finish, take a sample piece of your wood and cover it with that finish to see what it would look like and then decide what color of paint would work well with that finish. I took a bunch of various paint chips laying them next to the wood until - over a period of weeks - I gradually narrowed down my selections to the ultimate choice. Look at these color options in various light conditions. I'd do the same thing if I were to pick two complementary colors. CHEERS! /C

I took a piece of Vendia plank and made an impregnation test with raw linseed oil diluted with 25% pine turpentine. I was adding the oil mixture on the front side and one edge for 7 days after which it didn't absorb much anymore. I let the piece stand for a few days and cut it in half. It was a nice surprise to find out that the oil had gone through the layers of glue and almost reached the backside of the piece.

There is also an untreated piece of Vendia in the photos for comparison:

ilurbuild-25 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    ilurbuild-24 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Had some friends over for a steam bending and riveting party. Following the designer's directions I soaked the oak frames in salt water for three weeks since they weren't that green anymore. The steaming went quite smoothly (to my surprise) and was actually great fun. We managed to break only five frames.

Before continuing with bulkheads and centerboard case and such, I will start building the spars. I managed to find some pretty good looking spruce and now I need to get it out of the way. I will post some pictures of that soon...

ilurbuild-26 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

I built my spars with vertical grain douglas fir...could not source spruce and following the video by Geoff Kerr on building spars on his Caladonia Yawl it went smoothly. The yard has a little curve in it but the mast came out straight. I used lots of hose clamps placed about every 8 inches or so. Then the planing and sanding until it finally took shape. I inserted a wood dowel into the ends of the mast.

Got the chance to use a big wood workshop and a pair of helping (and skilled) hands, so I started making the spars. They are made of Norway spruce, or European spruce (picea abies) which is the traditional small craft spar material here in Scandinavia. I could have made the spars solid since I got enough of knotless and straight stuff that is light and stiff. But I wanted to try the birdsmouth method since I have seen so many cool mast building threads here. So, thanks Falcon1, John Hartmann and many others for the inspiration!

Here are the staves shaped and waiting for glue-up:

ilurbuild-28 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    Here's the plug for the top:

ilurbuild-29 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    I made a plug that extends from the heel to where the halyard cleat will be attached. I will plane the taper to the solid heel section after the glue-up.

ilurbuild-30 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Dang. I really like this boat. It is such a lovely model, and she looks so lovely in just plank and ribs.

Lovely work.

Enjoy.

Peace,
    Robert

And hare the mast is being glued. I used a few zip ties to hold te staves together, then wrapped packaging tape around it every 20cm or so. Worked great!

ilurbuild-31 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    Came out pretty well, I think:

ilurbuild-33 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    Now that the mast is still 8-sided I will cut the slot for the halyard sheave. I though I would drill an oversized hole for the axle, fill it with epoxy and drill the right sized hole. This is to prevent the wood from splitting due to the forces on the axle. But what kind of a hole would be best? A round hole (of 16mm or so), a square hole, or some other shape? I know the plans call for plywood cheeks to prevent splitting but I though it could be more simple like this.

ilurbuild-32 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Hello,

Nice progress!

I would suggest a round hole filed flat on the bottom, or even better two flats of stainless steel or brass recessed on the sides then drilled through...

Bye

Quote Originally Posted by L'Ankou View Post
    Hello,

Nice progress!

I would suggest a round hole filed flat on the bottom, or even better two flats of stainless steel or brass recessed on the sides then drilled through...

Bye
    Thanks for teh suggestion. A round hole filed flat on the bottom sounds quite adequate, to start with. Steel or brass flats may be added later if needed.

Amazing progress! And so tidy!

I used the plywood cheek pieces up on the mast head.

On the CB case, I epoxied in a bit of brass tubing with a 1/8" wall as a bushing for the pivot. Might be an option here?

IMG_1291.jpg

Mike

I ended up making a square hole of 16mm that I filled with epoxy. Then drilled a hole of 8mm for the halyard sheave axle. I think this arrangement will prevent the wood from splitting. Hope so.

The mast is now almost completely 32-sided. It will have my attention again in August when I get back from a sailing trip to the archipelago...

Thanks for following & have a great summer!

ilurbuild-34 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Your craftsmanship is superb. Really nicely done. Thanks for posting pictures of your progress.

Jason

Back at work! Finished the spars and gave them a generous treatment of Deks Olje D1. That's all they will have, except for the masthead that I will probably paint white cause it looks cool.

ilurbuild-36 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    ilurbuild-35 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    I made the lower section of the mast (from heel to halyard cleat) straight and solid and planed the taper afterwards.

ilurbuild-37 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickbr />
    The yard is solid spruce (picea abies).

[/url]ilurbuild-38 by Otto Karvonen, on Flickr

Nice work Otto

Impeccable work! Wow!

I recommend putting some epoxy fillets in the corners of that slot for the hallyard sheeve or rounding out the top and bottom of it to half-round. Otherwise, it will likely develop cracks.

Quote Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
    I recommend putting some epoxy fillets in the corners of that slot for the hallyard sheeve or rounding out the top and bottom of it to half-round. Otherwise, it will likely develop cracks.
    Thanks for the tip Cracked lid! I epoxied the inside of the slot already before oiling, so it will be easy to add some fillets in the corners.

Just to understand the forces affecting the masthead, could you enligten me about which forces would actually cause the cracks in the slot? Would it be the mast bending sideways at some points of sail?

Yes, sideways flexing of the mast. Any hard edge creates a difference in stiffness that can concentrate stress at that boundary edge. Over repeating flexing cycles, it can result in splitting of the grain. It may be fine, but adding a fillet is a two minute job with a little leftover epoxy from another job, so I think it is worth doing to save potential trouble down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
    Yes, sideways flexing of the mast. Any hard edge creates a difference in stiffness that can concentrate stress at that boundary edge. Over repeating flexing cycles, it can result in splitting of the grain. It may be fine, but adding a fillet is a two minute job with a little leftover epoxy from another job, so I think it is worth doing to save potential trouble down the road.
    That makes sense–I will definitely do the filleting.

This forum is such a wonderful resource for someone like me knows a little but likes to do a lot! Thanks again everyone for following and sharing yor valuable insights!

Beautiful craftsmanship. That vendia looks like great material