Thread: Selway-Fisher design

Default Selway-Fisher design

I started months ago asking about building a 12 1/2, then it was a catboat. Well, I hope I’ve found what I’ve been looking for. Isn’t there a song like that?

i came across a new Selway-Fisher design called “Elaine II”. She’s an 18’ open day boat based on the “Elaine” that Fred Rebell sailed West to East, single handed, across the Pacific.

Now I’m not interested in doing that I would just like to know if any of you have had any experience with S-F designs or plans.

Thanks!

Default Re: Selway-Fisher design

Looks like a robust design.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Looks very cool. I can't understand where all that plywood ends up. Especially the 18mm. But, like Rich said, she's robust. 2000 lbs. is a lot of boat.

Sorry no experience with S.F. I am currently building a Vivier design, and I can say he answers e-mails himself pretty quickly to answer questions.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Forgot to add that I love his Kane and Able designs. I think they were in an issue of Small Boats a while back.
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by SCK47 View Post
    I started months ago asking about building a 12 1/2, then it was a catboat. Well, I hope I’ve found what I’ve been looking for. Isn’t there a song like that?

i came across a new Selway-Fisher design called “Elaine II”. She’s an 18’ open day boat based on the “Elaine” that Fred Rebell sailed West to East, single handed, across the Pacific.

Now I’m not interested in doing that I would just like to know if any of you have had any experience with S-F designs or plans.

Thanks!
    http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-maga...e#.XBGuut9fgUQ
    A little about Fred Rebell and his boat Elaine, an inspirational bloke.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I'm building a JIM 18 foot yawl to Paul Fisher's drawings. His plans aren't wonderfully detailed, especially the rig and being able to "work things out for yourself'' is an advantage.
    My build thread... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...awl&highlight=
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    http://www.afloat.com.au/afloat-maga...e#.XBGuut9fgUQ
    A little about Fred Rebell and his boat Elaine, an inspirational bloke.
    Thank you very much for the link! I’m inspired! I’m trying to locate his book “Escape to the Sea”. None on EBay, one or two on Amazonb for $200+

I read his book about 40 years ago but haven't seen a copy since.
    Grateful Dead

https://www.abebooks.com/ is a good source for old books.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I'm building a JIM 18 foot yawl to Paul Fisher's drawings. His plans aren't wonderfully detailed, especially the rig and being able to "work things out for yourself'' is an advantage.
    My build thread... http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...awl&highlight=
    Thanks for the heads up on the plans and the link to your thread.

No experience with Selway-Fisher but as someone who has owned, trailered, launched and stored a 21' 2000lb boat, I'll strongly agree wth Falcon1 -- that's A LOT OF BOAT. My current boat is a 20' open Caledonia Yawl with a build weight of 500lbs and probably a fully-loaded weight of 6-650 with gear. That is nearly too much for me at times, and I'm limited as to how far I can push boat and trailer around in my driveway and back yard.

There are many advantages to heavily built and heavily ballasted boats, but the modern dry-sailed / trailer-launched lifestyle isn't one of them. If you sail alone and have to horse the boat and trailer around your property, a really heavy sea boat may not be the right thing for you.
    Last edited by Thorne; 12-13-2018 at 01:47 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by SCK47 View Post

Thanks!
    I built a Selway Fisher Thames Skiff and would definitely be very happy to build one of their designs again and to recommend them to anyone else. I found their plans and instructions perfectly adequate and accurate and Paul Fisher was readily at hand and very quick and accomodating with any queries that I had.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ht=sanity+boat
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I've just posted a photo of his JIM design on the thread I linked above.
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have few sets of construction plans, and worked with Paul on on some other stuff. His plans seem to be ok for first time builders.

Just as another option for a similar boat with less weight (cost) take a look at the Salmo 18T.

http://www.salmoboats.com/projekty-l...ow/salmo-18-t/

Its a nice package....

Like me.
    Grateful Dead

Hmmm. Don't want to be too picky, but the designer says that Elaine II has 'relatively hard bilges....very much like some of the old regatta boats." I've been looking at some pics of Elaine since I got a book with an account of Rebell's passage about (gulp) 43 years ago, and as in all the other pics I know she seems to have quite soft bilges and a wide stern. Along with deep deadrise along the keel, these were characteristics of the Sydney Open Boats and as far as I know, they were normally carried across to the half deckers like Elaine (1) and many of the bigger Sydney boats like my family's first keelboat.

Elaine II is not a bad boat, but the resemblance to Elaine I seems to be fairly fleeting.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I have few sets of construction plans, and worked with Paul on on some other stuff. His plans seem to be ok for first time builders.

Just as another option for a similar boat with less weight (cost) take a look at the Salmo 18T.

http://www.salmoboats.com/projekty-l...ow/salmo-18-t/

Its a nice package....
    Thanks for the link. Excellent looking design, yes very similar. I’d have to learn a new language in order to build her HA!

Similar, just a 1ft shorter than a (well regarded) boat we have here called a Memory 19. Elaine II should be a good boat.

Also look over Vivier Ebihen 18, it has a water ballast arrangement and a nice outboard in board too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    No experience with Selway-Fisher but as someone who has owned, trailered, launched and stored a 21' 2000lb boat, I'll strongly agree wth Falcon1 -- that's A LOT OF BOAT. My current boat is a 20' open Caledonia Yawl with a build weight of 500lbs and probably a fully-loaded weight of 6-650 with gear. That is nearly too much for me at times, and I'm limited as to how far I can push boat and trailer around in my driveway and back yard.

There are many advantages to heavily built and heavily ballasted boats, but the modern dry-sailed / trailer-launched lifestyle isn't one of them. If you sail alone and have to horse the boat and trailer around your property, a really heavy sea boat may not be the right thing for you.

Thanks for your input. Moving a boat around is not an issue since we have sufficient property and equipment to move her around.
    Yes, I’ll be single- handling most of the time. My plans are to keep her in the yard at the marina until a slip becomes available. Then, either keep her in the water or preferably, on a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

Similar, just a 1ft shorter than a (well regarded) boat we have here called a Memory 19. Elaine II should be a good boat.

Also look over Vivier Ebihen 18, it has a water ballast arrangement and a nice outboard in board too.

Ooh. That’s pretty!

Peace,
    Robert