Thread: Sooty Tern. UK. Needs a clean up

Default Sooty Tern. UK. Needs a clean up

With a rub down and paint this should be recoverable once it's pulled out the brambles. It's not that old, built 2014. Has a rudder and a case but needs a centerboard, rig, cover and trailer. Fairly cheap though. Might be a project for someone here to save building a hull as these things are longer than most UK garages, just don't become insufferable. Not connected. Been used for rowing on the Thames. Its been let go obviously but looking at the thwart bevels, someone took some care when building it. Built from a plank kit so lap lines should be good.

https://www.woodenships.co.uk/small-...-rowing-skiff/
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 12-10-2018 at 05:58 AM.

Default Re: Sooty Tern. UK. Needs a clean up

That should keep you busy through the winter. Nice boat!
    Wishing you good fortune with setting her right,
    Jay

Thanks Jay, I havn't bought it: though tempted, I might end up like McMullen and find every other boat grossly inferior. That would be an awfull bind in the years to come. I thought someone else in the UK might want it, circa 1500, it's rare, cheap enough and got potential. If nobody is tempted I might go have a look. It's in Chiswick London.

Joining the Sail & Oar™ mafia can be dangerous, I agree! As for the boat, much depends on the condition of the ply == if it has some rot that can be a very Bad Thing. Rot will move along / between the plies much faster than it does in solid wood, with some unpleasantly surprising results <-- don't ask me how I know this!
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Massive knees. But great raidboat for a couple of guys.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I'm watching a guy in the yard spend his time and cash on retrieving a plywood boat that (I thought) was clearly beyond it.

My thinking of his situation is;
    He could have bought the boat, about 40ft, for a song. Raided it for its parts, hardware, keel etc..., and built the same boat to a higher standard for the same cost in time and money - and he'd be further ahead now with a safer boat.

Maybe 1,500 is a good price for the sails, masts, other bits and pieces - and as a bonus she might be easily salvaged?
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Edward, since you discovered this great boat, you have the moral obligation to find her a good home.
    I will try to help and post pictures asap of the restored Caledonia Yawl a good friend rescued.

It should clean up. I think most of that yellow discolouration is where UV got to the epoxy under the varnish. Just rub down, undercoat and paint it nice. I have a spare trolley for a 15ft boat and trailer...if it's for sale after Christmas still, I might take look. When Dad was alive, we would jump at the chance for these, clean them up, repair, repaint etc, enjoy them for a year or two then sell them for a small profit to keep the fun free. Don't have it quite in me at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    It should clean up. I think most of that yellow discolouration is where UV got to the epoxy under the varnish. Just rub down, undercoat and paint it nice. I have a spare trolley for a 15ft boat and trailer...if it's for sale after Christmas still, I might take look. When Dad was alive, we would jump at the chance for these, clean them up, repair, repaint etc, enjoy them for a year or two then sell them for a small profit to keep the fun free. Don't have it quite in me at the minute.
    Go for it.. Having built an Oughtred boat, it is a steal. The knees are ugly, but fixable. The outside paint looks a bit rough, but not a prob. We ripped off a grp hull last year and painted it in 2K in a couple of days. A few week-ends on this delightful boat would give ages of fun.