Thread: Susie Goodall sailing round the world challenge awaits rescue

Default Susie Goodall sailing round the world challenge awaits rescue

CNN)A solo yachtswoman who was competing in an around-the-world race is now waiting to be rescued in the Southern Ocean after a storm destroyed her boat and left her injured. British sailor Susie Goodall -- the only woman and the youngest competitor in the Golden Globe Race -- was around 2,000 miles west of South America on Wednesday when a brutal storm lashed her boat with 60-knot winds.

One wave mounted on top of another," causing her yacht to flip from stern over bow, the race's spokesman, Barry Pickthall, told CNN.
    "I was thrown across the cabin and knocked out for a while," Goodall, who is a sailing instructor, wrote to organizers on her communications equipment. She added it left her "beaten up and badly bruised."

Chinese fraighter is reported ted on its way. With brutal storm, the freighter is making 6 knots towards her broken vessel.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 12-07-2018 at 03:07 AM.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Susie Goodall sailing round the world challenge awaits rescue

Racers .

Sad to hear about her situation. I guess the ship that will take her on board is there about now. Hope all goes well.
    Although I am more of a cruising minded sailor, I still share the love for the sea as these off-shore racers do.
    Goodall, and all the others as far as I know, are staunch environmentalists and she has been taking Southern Ocean samples on her trip to check for the presence of plastic there.
    Gotta admire the efforts and courage, I say. Not something I could do.