Thread: 5G

Default 5G

5G is the latest mobile tech being installed.
    It'll be a network of small antennas located every 3 or 4 blocks.
    Will be important to internet connectivity, driverless cars, etc. Best thing since sliced bread.
    But...

New Zealand, the UK, and others are banning the use of 5G equipment manufactured by the Chinese company Huawei. Huawei is very close to the government and the military. The company could be coerced to slow traffic or even shut the system down.

I wonder if the current administration is working on this.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Default Re: 5G

Canada arrested the CFO of Huawei today, at our request, and DOJ is requesting her extradition. The reason is breaking Iran sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    5G is the latest mobile tech being installed.
    It'll be a network of small antennas located every 3 or 4 blocks.
    Will be important to internet connectivity, driverless cars, etc. Best thing since sliced bread.
    But...

New Zealand, the UK, and others are banning the use of 5G equipment manufactured by the Chinese company Huawei. Huawei is very close to the government and the military. The company could be coerced to slow traffic or even shut the system down.

I wonder if the current administration is working on this.
    NZ is just following the US lead, as part of the Five Eyes surveillance network. I would love to know if the security concerns have some basis in fact, or if it is just a convenient avenue for the US to pursue it's little trade war.
    Note that there is ****loads of Huawei 4G infrastructure in several of these countries, and I don't see anybody ripping that out - that makes me fairly cynical about the motivation for this ban.

Eta apparently shed is a naughty word. Who knew!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

^EP. there are VERY informed concerns despite a prior (retired) foreign minister, one Alexander Downer aka "fishnets" touting it in order to advance his presumed commercial agenda. Be very afraid!
    Xanthorrea

Oddly enough Huawei are the main supplier of landline equipment to the British company BT.At least they were.