Thread: Garage heat.

Default Garage heat.

Tiny garage. 14X12. Uninsulated.

I'd like a tiny wood stove. I've see one called the Survivor 1.4 cu ft camp stove.
    Could this be used with a through the wall stove pipe?
    Just want to take the chill off so I dont shiver.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅

Default Re: Garage heat.

Look at the Cubic Mini wood stoves
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Insulate it. Insulation is cheap.

Then look at heating.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

I use an oil filled 1500w electric radiator. About $65 from AMZN or HD. Has a pretty accurate thermostat and keeps things at what ever temp I set - usually 65F. A big plus is no CO to worry about.

And yes, it does get down into the teens a few days a year here.

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I did (post #3) and use (post #4) it keeps my garage nice and warm even in the cold of winter. 60 - 70F

foil covered foam insulation of the garage door was rather easy and rolled fiberglass for the walls and ceiling worked great.

I built a S&G dory in the garage and four kayaks. I'm working on a power dory now. These have all been fall and winter projects. It's too damn hot to try to work in the summer here.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

When I used to use our detached single-car garage as a home shop, I heated it with either a propane or kerosene 'torpedo' heater. When our ceiling-hung gas furnace in the big shop died... we broke out a larger one of these. Run it on 50/50 diesel/gasoline mix, and that seems to work fine for less than 1/2 the cost of kero.

There's a ton of 'em around. They're not fragile, or prone to breaking down, so it should be easy to find a cheap but functional used one on CL.

The downsides: they're a bit stinky. They generate CO2 (thus can't be used in a tight building). The fans can be loudish.

I love a wood stove in a wood shop. Downsides: you've got to keep feeding them - small ones quite frequently. What with required clearances and fuel storage... that eat up a chunk of space in a small shop.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What do you do for ventilation, SCUBA?
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

I use an oil filled 1500w electric radiator. About $65 from AMZN or HD. Has a pretty accurate thermostat and keeps things at what ever temp I set - usually 65F. A big plus is no CO to worry about.
    Plus one.

I hang plastic sheet from the rafters to make a 20 x 12 work space in my 24 x 24 garage. One of those keeps me toasty, and turns on and off at the touch of a switch. Of course, I am a hobbyist, and only need the shop in spurts.'

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    It's only been an issue once that I've seen. A friend used one from his old drafty shop in his new, small, tightly sealed shop. He started getting headaches from the CO2, plus it was too much heater for the new space. So ended up installing a small forced air gas furnace.

Other than that, I've never had it be a problem - even in the current insulated shop. But 5,000 s.f. with tall ceilings provides a lot of cubic for dispersal...

I've tried the portable oil-filled radiators in various settings. Found them to be fine for an office, but lacking oomph for a shop.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I use an oil filled 1500w electric radiator.
    I've got a 650 watt one of those in my well-insulated (model) boat building shed (14' by 5') and it does almost precisely nothing. Might switch to a fan heater.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

I used to use a similar torpedo heater, in my un-insulated 14' x 22' garage. I would place it right by the garage door, and raise the door up by about a foot, so there would be ample outside air for combustion. I'd only use it for a few hours at a time.

It had liabilities, though. It was VERY noisy, for a start. Another problem: it would result in high humidity inside the garage, with lots of condensation on cold surfaces... and I believe it worked to somewhat inhibit epoxy curing.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

" It was VERY noisy"

That is what I remember from using bullet heaters while working construction in my youth.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

I have a 24x30 shop it is insulated, I use a heater like this , it runs 24/7 and all winter it will keep my shop above 55 F. they say it cost 25 cents a day to run.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

Insulate it then come up with heating. For such a small space the wood stove will take up significant floorspace. A 250 watt infrared lamp can provide instant heat aimed at your body.

I,ve installed a 4000watt ceiling hung electric heater in my 2 car connected garage..appox 22x20. It's plugged into a 220volt, 20amp recpt. It also has a thermostat and fan circulation included in the unit. It brings the temp up to a productive level, In fairly short order. Frankly I,m shocked that any one would consider an open flame heat source. Romantic effect aside
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 12-06-2018 at 06:45 PM.

Most insurance companies won't allow open flame heaters in a garage or shop so if it burns your house or garage good luck, that would include direct vent heaters, salamanders like Dave G pointed out, pretty much anything with flame in direct contact with the air in the space, you should be looking for a smaller version of something like this

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200577749_200577749?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Heaters%20%26 %20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces%20>%20Natural%20Gas%2 0Heaters%20>%20Natural%20Gas%20Garage%20Heaters&ut m_campaign=Mr.%20Heater&utm_content=27457&&gclid=C j0KCQiArqPgBRCRARIsAPwlHoXqjpOd3r17ztSfZCT3aym_6ip HJdLfjDnOID7qlEOQMUQJrUngRM8aAksrEALw_wcB

A look at Tacoma's heating requirements if you insulated your space one of those 1500w oil filled heaters would be perfect and economical.

I've got a 30x40 pole barn with studio and loft space above. 6in of FG insulation in the walls and 8in in the rafters. Forced air furnace and thermostat set at 46 degrees (Sweater Weather).

The thing that confuses me is that there is about 4-5 feet of space above the upstairs ceiling where there isn't insulation tucked between the rafters. (It runs over the ceiling instead to create an uninsulated "attic" space.) This top portion is always the first area where the snow melts on my roof. I ran venting up every space between the rafters and there is a full length ridge vent.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

There's a four-season greenhouse attached to the south side of the garage. I cut a hole and installed a 3-speed fan to blow air from the top of the greenhouse into the garage.

By noon, even in winter, the greenhouse temp is usually 80-90°F. I can get the garage up to 60°F or so. If I need to do some painting or gluing, I do it on a sunny afternoon.
    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 12-06-2018 at 06:47 PM.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Y'all convinced me. No flames or combustible.
    Have a Holly Jolly Christmas🎅