Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Didn't Hitler Invade Britain?

Default Re: Why Didn't Hitler Invade Britain?

As German bombing of civilian targets should have taught Britain and the US, bombing civilian targets does not win wars. People who lived through such war crimes, as Kurt Vonnegut who lived through the fire bombing of Dresden, got that point. The criminals who ordered much of the bombing of North Vietnam and whose successors continue to lie about how we target Middle East targets really don't understand how perverted they are.

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Cream, butter, tea, and jam all rationed in 1941; no supermarkets either. Sorry.
    Point taken, although J Sainsbury´s, the first of its kind, has been in business since the early 1920´s.

It comes down to something simple.

The Germans were planning to cross in canal barges, many of which were not even motorized.

The British were planning to attack said barges with a mix of destroyers, cruisers and battleships. The Germans had no way to stop this. Their navy was too small. The Luftwaffe could only operate during the day, and could inflict casualties on the Royal Navy, but not stop it.

If the Germans had tried it would have been a massacre. Which would have been a great thing.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

I served in the US NAVY amphibious forces in the 1960s. The task of moving men and material from the sea to shore against resistance requires specialized training, skills, experience and equipment. I do not believe that t he Germans had prepared for an amphibious assault early enough and n any case probably did not have adequate landing craft, etc. available. I may be wrong though not having made a study of that period.

I think I have somewhere a book by C.S. Forester (Hornblower etc...) with short stories, one of which tries to describe how well (or not...) the German invasion force would have fared.

Quote Originally Posted by jerryrichter View Post
    I served in the US NAVY amphibious forces in the 1960s. The task of moving men and material from the sea to shore against resistance requires specialized training, skills, experience and equipment. I do not believe that t he Germans had prepared for an amphibious assault early enough and n any case probably did not have adequate landing craft, etc. available. I may be wrong though not having made a study of that period.
    The US suffered a significant loss of life - nearly 1,000 dead in one incident, which was covered up for some time, during training for the invasion of Normandy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem