Thread: Frames (ribs) and the keel.

Default Frames (ribs) and the keel.

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 5.38.05 PM.png I've got this boat plan that has curved ribs and a 2x6 keel. That's what's in the attached image. What the [lans don't tell me is how to fasten the ribs to the keel. Seems like I need some help. The boar has 15 sets of ribs and the keel is 16'-0" long. Somebody MUST have an answer. Thanks in advance.
    Mark
    PS - My private email is mskpsm@gmail.com

Default Re: Frames (ribs) and the keel.

I don't think they are supposed to be fastened to the keel.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Bud McIntosh would have advised you to let them in.Some designers just but them up to the keel,having cut a limber hole.A substantial floor timber will tie the ends of port and starboard frames to the keel.I advise you to delete your email as any registered user can use the private message function to communicate and the spambots won't see it.

Yes, floor timbers at every second or so frame pair to join them (or rather the strakes) to the keel is a normal practice.
    I think it depends if the floor timbers are needed; a still water rowing boat may not need them while a salt water sailing boat would.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Those bits of wood that the ceiling floor boards are sitting on are floors, there may be a floor bolted to the side of every timber, or as Mats says, between the timbers or to every other timber.
    Do you not have a profile drawing or a list of scantlings that will set out the floors?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

On many boats, the frames are notched into the keel and fastened. I do not think that is what this boat intends. Cut the bottom of the frames 1/2" back from the keel (actually the keelson) so that water can drain by. Rely on the floor timbers (the triangular bits) to hold the frames to the keel. I would use floors on every frame pair with this configuration. Also install drainage holes in the floor timbers.

Thanks for all your help.
    I appreciate it very much.
    Mark