Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nordic Folkboat Plans

Default Re: Nordic Folkboat Plans

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I’ve known a number of people who had limited boatbuilding experience and underestimated the demands of time, money and family support that building a new boat of any size demands. There have been damage to relationships, fortunes and dreams. There is no good exit from a building project that’s taken more time, money or forbearance than planned. It’s often hard to give away a half-done boat.
    Selling an existing boat can be done, but it’s far from a seller’s market. It’s far better from the buyer’s side. The cost of buying a used boat is often a fraction of the materials cost of building a similar boat. An added benefit is that you can take your newly bought boat sailing the next day.
    I greatly enjoy building boats (now at 15 and counting), about as much as I enjoy using them. If you want to do both, I’d recommend buying a used boat that you can use today and enjoying the process of building the small beautiful boat that enhances your enjoyment of it. Start with a dinghy.
    I agree completely with that. Fool that I am, I have two yachts, both bought as old boats. I wouldn't build a yacht for all those reasons. But I admire people who do. If someone says to me, I want a Folkboat, how should I get one? The last thing I'd suggest would be building one. But if someone asks me Should I build a wooden Stella or a wooden Folkboat? I might not suggest buying a GRP Contessa instead. But, that doesn't mean I think it's wrong to suggest it! In fact, I think such suggestions ought to be included and considered.

Rick

This is thread drift and it's been mentioned in other threads, so please skip if not interested!

My Folkboat was built in 1962. It's coachwood plywood treated with a preservative, copper fastened and all the seams are glued with resorcinol. It has a lead keel, monel keel bolts, an alloy mast with compression post, extra stays and a self-draining cockpit (which I built). It's lasted very well (best I've seen) but the preservative holds moisture and is causing the copper nails to corrode enough to allow more moisture seepage. So it's out of the water, drying out, and I intend to repair some fasteners, but not all! and to then glass sheathe below the waterline. Happy to discuss/debate that but not in this thread. I can resurrect another thread if interested but I intend to do that once I get started anyway.

I'll just add that I wouldn't build a wooden yacht today without sheathing. Tricky with clinker but, I believe, it can and should, be done if the boat is to be kept in the water all year.

Rick

A nice all grp Nordic Folkboat is 7.5k in the UK. On a trailer - pretty easy to shift to Southampton and ship to the USA east coast. Pretty low maintenance. Good lookers. Nordic Folkboats go through masts though if they are raced hard, judging by the small fleet that raced at Lymington.

https://www.boatshed.com/folkboat_25-boat-227405.html

A set of molds for the Contessa 26 went to Canada where JJ Taylor made them, I think with self draining cockpits. Most of the Uk ones don't drain. The NF don't either. Here's one close to home in prime condition for $10-15k. Jeremy Rogers made the Contessa 26 by jacking apart a Folkboat to increase its design displacement and making the bottom level so it sits horizontal when dries out on its keel. Its also got a larger mast head spinnaker than the folk boat. Metal mast is less prone to snapping, though they are all getting old now.

https://www.boatshop24.com/en/jj-tay...ilboat/1288388

Apart from the H28 which springs to mind (bigger displacement for cruising), in Francis Herreshoff's Sensible Crusing Designs there is lines of a 28fter in there which has the lines similar to a Folk boat/ Contessa 26. That would make a good boat if you can get the construction drawings from Mystic. Solitaire it was called. Design number 76. She's a beauty.

http://mobius.mysticseaport.org/deta...ated&kv=207741

If you don't have the book, 'look inside' here and scroll through to page 154 of the book for the lines and offsets...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sensible-Cr.../dp/0877422982
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 01-23-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Anyone have folkboat trailer plans or dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    I'll just add that I wouldn't build a wooden yacht today without sheathing. Tricky with clinker but, I believe, it can and should, be done if the boat is to be kept in the water all year.

Rick
    I had an exchange with guy on the WBF. He had a clinker Stella and dried it out, then epoxy sheathed it. Bit of an effort, but he is happy and the boat is still fine (4/5 yrs ago?)
    I, if building, would now go strip and sheath or cold moulding.

OR, if restrained by logic, buy a GRP Folksong or, if a bit more room, a Contessa 26.
    Last edited by Andrew2; 01-26-2019 at 02:20 PM.

I'll be sheathing our Folkboat.

I can give you some hull measurements Paul but no trailer plan. They move Folkboats around a lot in Europe so I think you could try contacting one of the clubs there or the Danish builder Folkesbaden Centralen (something like that).

Rick

There is nothing special about the trailer. Standard braked boattrailer with a minimum carrying capacity of 2,2-2,4t.

Once upon a time I had the notion to build a Folkboat. I bought a set of plans from the Scandinavian Folkboat Association. I have been looking for those plans in the last few days because one member here wanted a set of plans. No luck. Either I gave them away or lost them. It is probably best that I never attempted to build a Folkboat, as much as I like the boat. Twice or more I could have bought one, but didn't for various reasons.

I do have plans for two or three Sharpies, and a Tancook Whaler.

I am pretty sure there are plans still in cirkulation in Sweden. I just don't know how to get hold of them.
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

This is good discussion. I have to say that years ago when I first heard of the folkboat, the whole thing struck a chord with me, it's beauty, and seaworthiness, proven record, plus the way it came about. I've always thought I'd like to have one. Life is definitely busy, when I was in college I built a Penobscot 14 and I can remember thinking once I'm done with college I'll have lots of time to build boats and once I get really good at it I'll build a Folkboat. Then I got married, had kids, moved a few times....anyway all the free time has not materialized. I now think a Folkboat is something that might be good for retirement which is a long way off but if I don't start planning now it won't happen. That's what led to this current discussion. I'm not in a rush, but I figure plans won't likely be easier to find in the future. I have a long list of designs but the folkboat has always finds its way to the top, I really like lapstrake construction and am also considering Stella and Prudence, I also like LFH's Solitaire (may be too big) and Mason's Otkust.....plus others. I'm not against finding an older model and doing repair/rebuild work on it. If I happen to find a nice affordable GRP version, I will strongly consider it as well.

In my dream world I'd already have one and could spend my summers sailing the great lakes with my kids while they're young. In the meantime we play with the Penobscot 14 and have fun and the reality is that as they get bigger I'm thinking a Caledonia Yawl would be more cost effective while we juggle all of the things young families juggle. My time with family is my most precious asset and I have no intention of starting a folkboat build any time soon....but I might park one in the yard and fix one up, if the right one comes along. We'll see what happens, either way I'm looking for original NF plans.

Thank you all for the great ideas and input.

It is a nice dream and i've heard that you can build a Nordic Folkboat fast. What looks daunting the hard parts you need to source, namely the keel and hardware. I don't have a clue where you would go to have an iron keel cast for example. If you are serious, then maybe look for an old one that isn't seaworthy anymore. In San Francisco, you used to see them often for "free", and many of SF Folkboats, probably more than 20, that are built from the "bones" of the old ones. They would take the old ones apart and store the keel and hardware for later use.

Quote Originally Posted by Foerster View Post
    This is good discussion. I have to say that years ago when I first heard of the folkboat, the whole thing struck a chord with me, it's beauty, and seaworthiness, proven record, plus the way it came about. I've always thought I'd like to have one. Life is definitely busy, when I was in college I built a Penobscot 14 and I can remember thinking once I'm done with college I'll have lots of time to build boats and once I get really good at it I'll build a Folkboat. Then I got married, had kids, moved a few times....anyway all the free time has not materialized. I now think a Folkboat is something that might be good for retirement which is a long way off but if I don't start planning now it won't happen. That's what led to this current discussion. I'm not in a rush, but I figure plans won't likely be easier to find in the future. I have a long list of designs but the folkboat has always finds its way to the top, I really like lapstrake construction and am also considering Stella and Prudence, I also like LFH's Solitaire (may be too big) and Mason's Otkust.....plus others. I'm not against finding an older model and doing repair/rebuild work on it. If I happen to find a nice affordable GRP version, I will strongly consider it as well.

In my dream world I'd already have one and could spend my summers sailing the great lakes with my kids while they're young. In the meantime we play with the Penobscot 14 and have fun and the reality is that as they get bigger I'm thinking a Caledonia Yawl would be more cost effective while we juggle all of the things young families juggle. My time with family is my most precious asset and I have no intention of starting a folkboat build any time soon....but I might park one in the yard and fix one up, if the right one comes along. We'll see what happens, either way I'm looking for original NF plans.

Thank you all for the great ideas and input.
    Did you try the contact I gave you on here?

I decided to poke around on the web for Folkboat plans. I found a 2007 post by me stating I bought a set of plans from Dansk Sejlunion, Idraettens Hus, DK 2605, Brondby, Denmark.

Dansk Sejlunion exists and has a web site. Use Google and take it from there.

I just received a set of plans from Harold Koglin at the Nordic Folkboat International Association. I opted for an electronic download.....very fast response and a professional, easy transaction. Thanks for the contact info George!

Just to keep things in perspective, this is up for grabs local to me, with the trailer, all sails and outboard.

$2700 at todays exchange rate. How much will a ballast casting cost you?

I'm also keeping my eyes open for a "pre-owned" model, but thought it would be a good thing to have the plans around in case I ever build new or do a restoration. Skaraborgcraft I just sent you a PM