Thread: Nordic Folkboat Plans

Default Nordic Folkboat Plans

I know there's been a post on here about this before. But, it's an old post and, to be honest, it did not provide any useful info other than one of the members on here who said he had a set of plans.

I happened upon a video about a Nordic Folkboat a few months back and I just can't get the boat out of my head. What sucks about the whole deal is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere a person can get a set of plans for the design. Supposedly, it was born out of the idea of being the "people's" boat. And a boat that was affordable but could be utilized in a variety of conditions. I think that idea is drawing to a close with the lack of access to the original plans for a person wanting to built themselves an original version, or even someone wanting to have a set of plans to view and consider building one. The Nordic Folkboat International Association is not responding to emails or phone when I attempt to contact them.

Unless a person is looking is looking for very shallow draft design, the Nordic Folkboat appears to be a great design for a boat that can be transported on a trailer and used for blue-water cruising if spartan conditions are satisfactory to the crew. I do believe when used for extensive blue-water cruising, the cockpit was modified by users since it is not a self-bailing cockpit. The only actual modification I've seen though in pictures was a decked over cockpit. The design has been used multiple times in the Single-handed Trans-Atlantic Race, and came in second place in the first race.

If anyone has a copy of the plans for this design that they'd be willing to share with me, I'd sure appreciate it.

Default Re: Nordic Folkboat Plans

Can you read russian?

In 1963 plans of Folkboat was publeshed in the Soviet Union. Magazine "Катера и яхты" no1 p. 164-169
    I can send you this magazine by e-mail in djv

Just bare in mind that Nordic Folkboats are not that heavily built. UK folkboats had slightly bigger scantlings on frames and planking as the sea conditions are more severe than that usually found in the Baltic. Rigs were often modified to take lower shrouds also. You could ship a good second hand example from Sweden for less than 20% of the new build price, or perhaps sail it back if you have time.......

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    You could ship a good second hand example from Sweden for less than 20% of the new build price, or perhaps sail it back if you have time.......
    Last summer, one fellow buy plastic IF (International Folkbot) in Sweden for $2000. Ready to sail. Link on russian.
    Last edited by inflatable; 12-05-2018 at 12:29 PM.

https://digitaltmuseum.se/search/?aq=text%3A"Tord+Sundén+Ritning"

https://digitaltmuseum.se/011024784579/ritning

Check these out. It's from the swedish maritime museum. I also know that the folkboat association of Sweden got some plans and info about templates and frames and such.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oscinator; 12-05-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George Ferguson View Post
    I know there's been a post on here about this before. But, it's an old post and, to be honest, it did not provide any useful info other than one of the members on here who said he had a set of plans.

I happened upon a video about a Nordic Folkboat a few months back and I just can't get the boat out of my head. What sucks about the whole deal is that there doesn't seem to be anywhere a person can get a set of plans for the design. Supposedly, it was born out of the idea of being the "people's" boat. And a boat that was affordable but could be utilized in a variety of conditions. I think that idea is drawing to a close with the lack of access to the original plans for a person wanting to built themselves an original version, or even someone wanting to have a set of plans to view and consider building one. The Nordic Folkboat International Association is not responding to emails or phone when I attempt to contact them.

Unless a person is looking is looking for very shallow draft design, the Nordic Folkboat appears to be a great design for a boat that can be transported on a trailer and used for blue-water cruising if spartan conditions are satisfactory to the crew. I do believe when used for extensive blue-water cruising, the cockpit was modified by users since it is not a self-bailing cockpit. The only actual modification I've seen though in pictures was a decked over cockpit. The design has been used multiple times in the Single-handed Trans-Atlantic Race, and came in second place in the first race.

If anyone has a copy of the plans for this design that they'd be willing to share with me, I'd sure appreciate it.
    I share your frustration! I've never been able to find a set of plans either. I have a Nordic Folkboat. It has a rig with extra stays and I installed a self-draining cockpit for seaworthiness. Otherwise, she's pretty much as per the plans, oh, apart from having lead ballast. I'd also be happy to pay for a good set of plans.

They are a magic little boat.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Oscinator View Post

Check these out. It's from the swedish maritime museum. I also know that the folkboat association of Sweden got some plans and info about templates and frames and such.

Thanks Oscinator!

George, do you want a set of Folkboat plans to study or build? The Nordic (first) Folkboat is a competitive fleet so study plans are sometimes in magazines. If you wish to build one, then contact the International Nordic Folkboat Assn http://www.folkboat.com/index.html and they will set you up with a full set of plans, there is a royalty though.

The Nordic Folkboat is the first, there are lots of variants as the concept is good. It is good for both racing and cruising. Simple enough for a man of average means to own and maintain, but large enough for his family. Today they are trailered to regattas, they used to be sailed to regattas and with some modifications sailed across oceans. Seakindly, pretty, fast and simple, what is not to like?

You can find old ones but restoration isn't simple. They were something of a cottage industry for Denmark after the war. Moulds were passed from builder to builder, keels were cast from scrap iron and the hardware was easy to fabricate. They could be built quickly and were relatively inexpensive. Unless you find one in very good condition, they are a lot of work to restore, but they will reward your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscinator View Post

Thanks!! That's fantastic!

Rick

While no plans, for those who like the Nordic Folkboat this may be of interest
    https://translate.google.com/transla...lkb%25C3%25A5t
    (Google-translated, so is far from perfect but at least bits will be understandable.)

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

Quote Originally Posted by Lemsteraak View Post
    George, do you want a set of Folkboat plans to study or build? The Nordic (first) Folkboat is a competitive fleet so study plans are sometimes in magazines. If you wish to build one, then contact the International Nordic Folkboat Assn http://www.folkboat.com/index.html and they will set you up with a full set of plans, there is a royalty though.

The Nordic Folkboat is the first, there are lots of variants as the concept is good. It is good for both racing and cruising. Simple enough for a man of average means to own and maintain, but large enough for his family. Today they are trailered to regattas, they used to be sailed to regattas and with some modifications sailed across oceans. Seakindly, pretty, fast and simple, what is not to like?

You can find old ones but restoration isn't simple. They were something of a cottage industry for Denmark after the war. Moulds were passed from builder to builder, keels were cast from scrap iron and the hardware was easy to fabricate. They could be built quickly and were relatively inexpensive. Unless you find one in very good condition, they are a lot of work to restore, but they will reward your efforts.
    Lemsteraak, I am looking for a set of plans to build an original version. I don't mind paying the royalty. I can't get the International Nordic Folkboat Association to respond to me though either via email or call me back. It's been really frustrating.

Thanks a bunch for the other info you included in your comments too. I want to be able to use the boat for sailing on a very large lake near where I live, and also be able to transport it to launch at the coast for coastal sailing in the Gulf of Mexico and Carribbean. I'd actually been trying to inquire about a couple of boats that I seen advertised for sale but they turned out to be sold already (one of them multiple times after being reworked). I'm glad you mentioned that part about restoration. I would really like to build a new one anyhow.

Have you read Dieter Loibner's book about the Folkboat?It may have a few helpful pointers about where to look for plans and Dieter is a senior figure at our host's stable mate Professional Boatbuilder.

George, yes, they are available, but usually look better on paper than in person. SF Bay Folkboat Assn, is a good resource. The old wood racing boats are encouraged to race with them but occasionally one will need extensive restoration. They will try to place them in a good home as boatyards in SF that allow restorations are going away. Svendsen's in Alameda used to be the place to work on your Folkboat, they even had a special cradle, but that yard is slated for residential "redevelopment". Many of the nice SF boats are up in Pt Townsend and are restored up there.

I don't know where you are located but one thought is to possibly import from Europe. I understand good wood Folkboats are available for adoption there and while they may seem expensive at first glance, condition is key, and may end up costing much less in the long run. They fit well in 40' cargo containers and as ocean freight is relatively inexpensive in comparison to truck freight. The Europeans tend to use their boats for cruising so may be better outfitted for your needs and many have trailers too. You could find a Ro-Ro vessel if you ship with a trailer. Just a thought .... brainstorming

I've got an apology to make. I did get a response from the Nordic Folkboat International Association. Harald Koglin, their Treasurer/Secretary, did respond to my emails but it went to my spam folder which I never check. He sent me an email telling me what sheets he had for drawings, the cost, and how to pay for them. So far, I've paid for them and waiting on my drawings to be sent to me.

I do appreciate all the help, comments, and responses I've gotten on this thread today.

The second Jester was cold moulded and if I was thinking of a FB, I would look into that method, esp if projected use meant it would spend time ashore in the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by George Ferguson View Post
    I've got an apology to make. I did get a response from the Nordic Folkboat International Association. Harald Koglin, their Treasurer/Secretary, did respond to my emails but it went to my spam folder which I never check. He sent me an email telling me what sheets he had for drawings, the cost, and how to pay for them. So far, I've paid for them and waiting on my drawings to be sent to me.

I do appreciate all the help, comments, and responses I've gotten on this thread today.
    Update to my original comments: The drawings sold to me by the Nordic Folkboat International Association did not include a set of lines drawings.