Thread: BrianW Aussie EBS

Default BrianW Aussie EBS

At present the venue is Tumbulgum Taven at a date to be decided.
    Peter Sibley is interested but would need a lift.
    Duncan is interested if he's not in Melbourne.
    Tom is interested.
    Brian is interested.
    And of course I'm keen.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Default Re: BrianW Aussie EBS

So, where's the invite?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd be interested but I'm in Victoria, but I'll be there in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    So, where's the invite?
    What you want a personal one?
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Thanks for starting this thread WX!

The family and I will be in the Brisbane area twice really, once Dec 27th and 28th (Thursday and a Friday) on our way to Heron Island. Then again January 4th as we get ready to fly home out of Brisbane International.

I would prefer Dec 27th but could look at Dec 28th or Jan 4th.

The more the merrier!
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

I’m happy with any of those dates...and I could pick up Peter if Duncan can’t make it.

In addition to this EBS, our trip plans include driving down the coast from Sydney to Phillip Island, then to Melbourne to fly to Brisbane.

Probably not the usual tourist destination, but I think it's one the family will really enjoy. Chance to see Kangaroos, Koalas, Penguins, and maybe even Platypus all in the wild. We're certainly not city people and we'll get lots of beach time on Heron Island later.

That's where we will be, starting Dec 22nd through Dec 26th. If a EBS is possible down there, that would be great.

Unfortunately, Adelaide and Perth are out this trip. I have to work a bit longer than planned, which ended up taking several of our vacation days away. We'd rather go slow and see a few sights, than rush around and not enjoy our time
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Jealous.

Seeing a platypus would require visiting a reserve /sanctuary as they are VERY uncommon .I've seen one in 50 years in the wild.
    https://www.australiangeographic.com...-see-platypus/
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I have seen them in Rowlands Creek early in the morning but that was years ago.

We are spending a night in Bombala where there is a platypus reserve. So we’ll visit that evening and the next morning. Who knows, we might get lucky.

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/snowy-mountains/cooma-area/bombala/attractions/bombala-platypus-reserve

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread WX!

The family and I will be in the Brisbane area twice really, once Dec 27th and 28th (Thursday and a Friday) on our way to Heron Island. Then again January 4th as we get ready to fly home out of Brisbane International.

I would prefer Dec 27th but could look at Dec 28th or Jan 4th.

The more the merrier!
    Hey Brian not sure what your travel plans to the proposed EBS are , but the Gold Coast is around 1hour 20 by train from Brisbane Airport. I live within 10 minutes of the last station called Varsity, and it would not be a problem to pick you up and drop you again after the EBS.
    However if several of you are traveling down here it may be cheaper to rent a car as the train fare costs are $25 per trip per person.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Seeing a platypus would require visiting a reserve /sanctuary as they are VERY uncommon .I've seen one in 50 years in the wild.
    https://www.australiangeographic.com...-see-platypus/
    Geez, you need to get out more.

We are spending a night in Bombala where there is a platypus reserve. So we’ll visit that evening and the next morning. Who knows, we might get lucky.

https://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/snowy-mountains/cooma-area/bombala/attractions/bombala-platypus-reserve
    A night in Bombala? Was second prize two nights in Bombala?

I did a job there, back in the early 90's - the local council had gotten a bit entrepreneurial, then lost the ratepayers' shirts on a big project, so the Department called in the enforcers... um, I mean, us.

Dinner in the pub was interesting. There was some sort of greens news item on the TV. Didn't go down well with the "lumberjack" crowd in the pub.

Actually, there's some really beautiful country around there... and also some nice twisty roads. Watch out for the giant rats on the road around sunset and sunrise. You will want to be at the platypus reserve around those times, of course.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

In addition to this EBS, our trip plans include driving down the coast from Sydney to Phillip Island, then to Melbourne to fly to Brisbane.

Probably not the usual tourist destination, but I think it's one the family will really enjoy. Chance to see Kangaroos, Koalas, Penguins, and maybe even Platypus all in the wild. We're certainly not city people and we'll get lots of beach time on Heron Island later.

That's where we will be, starting Dec 22nd through Dec 26th. If a EBS is possible down there, that would be great.

Unfortunately, Adelaide and Perth are out this trip. I have to work a bit longer than planned, which ended up taking several of our vacation days away. We'd rather go slow and see a few sights, than rush around and not enjoy our time
    Hi Brian, I live just up the road from Phillip island and I'll see what I can do about a family ticket to all the parks venues. I should bwe able to give you a personal tour as I am a volunteer with the park. What dates do you expect to be down here?

I'll miss you unfortunately Brian. I'll be heading off for Melbourne on the 20th or 21st and I'll be down there until about a week after NYE.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Geez, you need to get out more.

A night in Bombala? Was second prize two nights in Bombala?

I did a job there, back in the early 90's - the local council had gotten a bit entrepreneurial, then lost the ratepayers' shirts on a big project, so the Department called in the enforcers... um, I mean, us.

Dinner in the pub was interesting. There was some sort of greens news item on the TV. Didn't go down well with the "lumberjack" crowd in the pub.

Actually, there's some really beautiful country around there... and also some nice twisty roads. Watch out for the giant rats on the road around sunset and sunrise. You will want to be at the platypus reserve around those ti !mes, of course.
    Ya reckon? I get into the bush a fair bit but platapyses are rarer now than decades ago, cattle breaking down creek banks and nests is the big one and development of course, housing and pet dogs and cats,

The one Isaw was in a local waterhole while I was diving with mask and fins so I got a good view of it feeding along the bottom. Memorable
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hi Brian, I live just up the road from Phillip island and I'll see what I can do about a family ticket to all the parks venues. I should bwe able to give you a personal tour as I am a volunteer with the park. What dates do you expect to be down here?
    Wow! That’s great!

We will be there on Christmas Day, and certainly understand if you’re busy with family. We have booked general viewing tickets for the penguin parade that night. Then we are staying in an AirB&B house in the Cowes area, on Grandview Grove Street near the Miter10.

Our flight out of MEL isn’t until 3:00pm the 26th, so we will have time for coffee in the morning if we can’t get together on Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by auscruisertom View Post
    Hey Brian not sure what your travel plans to the proposed EBS are , but the Gold Coast is around 1hour 20 by train from Brisbane Airport. I live within 10 minutes of the last station called Varsity, and it would not be a problem to pick you up and drop you again after the EBS.
    However if several of you are traveling down here it may be cheaper to rent a car as the train fare costs are $25 per trip per person.
    Thanks for the offer Tom. We’ll have a rental car for getting up to Gladstone so we will just use it to make our way down there.

Thanks again for the offer!

Ian,

Bombala is sounding better now that you’ve shared your experience.

I've started a rumour that Peter might be going to launch his Jim around the time of the EBS.

No pressure Peter .
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Jealous.
    +1. Id love to meet our Australian crew in person.

Good news today!

We received our CASA permission today. Wasted no time getting out for some bucket testing and letting the pilots warm up for the real deal...

DF412596-A0B5-4B7C-8DD0-2D17850A4408.jpg

BCEBB774-7004-478A-96E7-28E663DD3865.jpg

Sandstone scarp it appears. But not around Gariwerd, probably around Wollongong or the Hunter. Anyone?
    Xanthorrea

It’s Wollongong.

TA. Hey you spelled it correctly! BTW there's some trout fishing near Robertson and some Oz bass fishing on the coastal streams too (licence req, abt $50 for a year)
    Xanthorrea

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    +1. Id love to meet our Australian crew in person.
    and they would rather like to meet you.
    Grateful Dead