Thread: White Oak Source and Availability

Default White Oak Source and Availability

Friends on a farm a few miles from the Ohio River recently lost a large pasture white oak due to rot in the major trunk. I've seen the tree and it looks like it has lots of good natural crooks and curved pieces in the upper branches. They loved this tree and would like to see it go to a higher use than firewood. There is good road access and support for getting pieces out.

Is there any interest in this kind of wood or is it simply too common or too much trouble to go and get? They are waiting for my advice as to whether to just cut it up and feed it through the stove or to save it for a boatbuilder. What should I tell them? I have pictures if anyone is interested.

Update: They are willing to put some of the wood aside in the field in case someone comes along. Could someone give me some advice? Bark on - bark off? If they just cut the longest pieces they can handle and prop the limbs up off the ground will it be worth someone's time to salvage in a couple years?
    Last edited by Roger Long; 12-04-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    Roger Long

Default Re: White Oak Source and Availability

Interesting but a little far away for me right now.

The "Woodmizer" company, which makes portable sawmills, has a "find a sawyer" feature on their website. (Way down at the bottom in the "links" section." They list sawyers with Woodmizer portable sawmills who will come to your property and saw your downed trees into lumber. That probably won't do much good with knees, but it should give you a lead or two. Here's the listings for Ohio: https://woodmizer.com/us/Services/Find-a-Local-Sawyer.

I'm no lumberjack, but I believe the practice with knees is to slab them with a chainsaw mill or the like and stack them to dry. The Granberg Alaskan chainsaw mill is often used for this task. There's a picture on Granberg International's home page slide show of a couple of guys slabbing out a large oak knee. See: https://granberg.com/ Full disclosure: Elof Granberg was a friend of mine and a darn good sailor. His sons run the company now. Their products, which I've used, are excellent and just about the least expensive way to turn trees into boatbuilding lumber. If your friends aren't afraid of some hard work, a Granberg chainsaw mill would pay for itself many times over just cutting up one good sized white oak.

Hello, Rogebr />
    Good to hear from you1

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

If they set some wood aside they should seal the ends of the logs. Anchor Seal is best but some old latex house paint would work, too.

Why can't people like that live near me? Hopefully someone comes along and puts that treasure to good use.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Unfortunately, Bob Smalser is no longer a forumite. He was the go-to guy when it came to wood butchering.

Hi Bob
    I was just searching for bob smalser to pm him....but you are pretty sure he no longer participates on wbf. Some years ago he provided me with a manual he authored on the hartley ts14. I want to share this with a guy currently building a ts14....but i wanted to get bob smalser permission first. Any thoughts?

I’m not sure how to reach Bob but some of his articles are here: http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl#smalser

Well worth a look if you haven’t seen them.

Thanks StevenB. That's quite some listing of useful info at that link....wow. The Hartley ts14 manual bobS. wrote and provided me with a copy was written up for his kids. I kind of want to exhaust all avenues before i send someone a copy. I recently have gotten back to wbf after at least 5 years. I actually had to start my account over because i couldn't remember my password...i tried to reestablish it but info in the wbf admin sort of just recommended starting anew. Having recently retired and at my final home location i now have the time to completely finish up my hartley ts12. The info in his ts14 manual would be very helpful to the guy currently building a ts14 who is documenting his build here on wbf. Thanks again for your input. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
    Hi Bob
    I was just searching for bob smalser to pm him....but you are pretty sure he no longer participates on wbf. Some years ago he provided me with a manual he authored on the hartley ts14. I want to share this with a guy currently building a ts14....but i wanted to get bob smalser permission first. Any thoughts?
    Oh yeah, Bob Smalser no longer participates on WBF. It was quite a dust-up at the time. I can't remember the exact details, but the gist of it was that after his many beautifully illustrated how-to-do-it posts (he was quite a renaissance man,) he got fed up with know-nothing criticism and personal attacks and "took his football and went home." Some may have found him a bit pedantic and eccentric, but he was a walking Foxfire and Whole Earth Catalog rolled into one. His leaving, like that of "The Chemist" for the same reasons, was quite a loss to the forum.

Thanks for the info Bob Cleek. You are correct...big loss for the wbf. Bob Smalser sure helped me in the past and the hartley ts14 manual he authored and sent to me was and still is helpful to me. Thanks again Bob Cleek

Might note that the price of white oak has climbed into the stratosphere around here lately, when it once was both plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I would think that a salvage operation would be quite meaningful if you had some use for it.

Thw Woodmizer would do a great job siding the knees too, it's made for the job.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead