Thread: Finding old design plans - a tough search?

Default Finding old design plans - a tough search?

Hi, Everyone! More on the Owens repair/restoration project. I'm curious ... does anyone know if it's possible to get original design plans for old boats somewhere? As I've posted before, I'm working on a 1963 Owens Sea Skiff. I'd love to see original design plans. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Default Re: Finding old design plans - a tough search?

mjdclark, typically old plans are scattered between various museum collections (if they were donated), heirs of the designer, the original firm (if it still exists), etc., etc. A couple of suggestions on your Owens:

1. Post here with a more specific subject ("Looking for Owens Sea Skiff Plans" for example). There are probably some experts on the company on the forum and they may be able to help. In particular you might look for user NedL, who is something of an expert on New Jersey Sea Skiffs. Not sure if that extends to Owens or not but worth trying.

2. Try contact the Owens Marque Yacht Club: http://www.owensmarqueclub.com/. They would probably know if anyone does. However from their history page:

In the early 1970s the Concorde Yacht Division ran into financial difficulties and liquidated the entire production facility eliminating almost all historical material from the original Owens Company. The sailboat cutter plans remain and are located at the Mystic Seaport Museum, in Mystic, Connecticut.
    Which would seem to indicate that the powerboat plans are gone. Still might be worth some searching though. And good luck in any case.

Thanks very much for your help! I'll start looking! MC

Sorry to say I have never heard of the existence of any surviving wood era Owens documentation.

what information would you be looking for off the plans?

Chris,.. thank you for the reference! . (I will however say that not being a New Jersey lapstrake builder I have not focused on them,... though I am fairly familiar with their wood boats.)