Thread: Old Town on VTCL

Default Old Town on VTCL

Default Re: Old Town on VTCL

I've only canvassed one canoe. We found suitable cotton at an art supply house - a nice roll intended for oil painting. We went at it partly as shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2QujEyFbCg except that the stretchers at each end were bolted together through the canvass fold and once the thing was loosely on the boat we stretched the bejazus out of them between two lollycolums in the basement. Also, as I remember, we'd wet the canvass in warm water. Actually, we started to pull the lollies out and had to slack off and put in some chocks to stop the slippage. As we got along, the lighter of us (not me!) got in the boat to hold it down. Once we had the canvass well stretched, nary a ripple and drum tight, we tacked and stapled and then wandered off the let it dry for a week.

I think (this was thirty five years ago) we used a thinned white lead to fill the weave before painting. I also seem to recall the same thinned white lead being used to prime the outside of the hull before canvassing.

That looks like a nice starter project for someone. I think it might be a Guide Model, which is one of my favorite Old Towns. Nice versatile tripping canoe. It would dress up really nicely and you would be the envy of the put-in for under $1,000.

There is no real need to pull the columns out of the house. Some folks canvas by hand. You just need enough stretching to pull some of the wrinkles out. It is possible to overstretch and have the canvas pull away from the rails down the road.
    Last edited by Fitz; 12-02-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Yep, that could be a very good deal, especially when compared to the majority of the trashed wood strippers that we see people picking up for "restoration" all the time on the forums. This one could actually end up both quite sound and quite attractive, which most of the old strippers never will.

I do wonder if they actually measured it though. In comparison to my 1972 16' Old Town Guide, this one looks longer and a bit more streamlined in the ends. Makes me wonder if it is actually an 18' Guide, not a 16 footer. In any case, with some not particularly difficult or complex work it could also end up looking pretty darned good.

My 16' Guide Special on the left

ab.jpg

ba.jpg

Yes, I believe the VT canoe is an 18 footer. The longer canoe had 3 thwarts. The bow thwart apparently blends in with the bow seat frame in one photo.

Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau