Thread: Bulkhead clips for short ladder

Default Bulkhead clips for short ladder

I'm going to make a two-step wood companionway ladder.

The bottom of the stringers will rest on the cabin sole and the top will lean against a vertical motor box panel.

I need some kind of hardware to secure the ladder top to the vertical panel.
    Suggestions?

Default Re: Bulkhead clips for short ladder

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Fur.../dp/B07GYZGW8N

Or if you want to stick with wood perhaps you can devise some sort of vertical and/or horizontal beveled mating blocks or straps.

I'll try to remember pix tomorrow. I had a 'found' ladder for the companion. Wood foot and upper chocks do just fine, through I'll likely add a latch just to be sure the ladder can't bounce free.

The Port Townsend Foundry can supply some nice companion ladder locks made of cast bronze. They are strong enough to not allow the ladder to loose its grip.
    Jay

I like " keyhole" type hardware for this type of application.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.31.38 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.36.21 PM.jpg

One might consider simply fabricating a bracket; a tapered slot might work as well as the keyhole.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I like the keyhole plate idea, Kevin.
    Need to think about what kind of button goes through it. Maybe a pan head screw backed out a couple of turns.

I've known these things, too. What are they called?
    Last edited by JimConlin; 12-02-2018 at 07:55 PM.

-Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

I was thinking about this while working this afternoon and had the thought that if each stringer had 2 of 1/2" hardwood dowels or sawn off lag bolts let into the bottom that would drop into holes in the sole and 1 more of same at the top of each stringer that eased into holes in the motor box it should stay in place very well. I was looking for a way to avoid the hardware I suggested because it seems that when hanging the ladder in rough seas it would be easy to rip the screws out with all of the leverage available.

Wandering Star has simple hooks and eyes. For sea I secure them with nylon wire ties.

I have a single hook and eye on one side of a little set of steps which is athwartships. Sorry I don't have a photo. Never been a problem even when heeled well over. I like the wooden cleat above, very neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    I like " keyhole" type hardware for this type of application.

Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.31.38 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-12-02 at 5.36.21 PM.jpg

One might consider simply fabricating a bracket; a tapered slot might work as well as the keyhole.

Kevin
    Where can I buy those?

Quote Originally Posted by JimConlin View Post
    I like the keyhole plate idea, Kevin.
    Need to think about what kind of button goes through it. Maybe a pan head screw backed out a couple of turns.

I've known these things, too. What are they called?
    Jay called them ladder locks, and 'companionway ladder locks' googles up a few images.

The ones in your picture can come loose if the ladder shifts according to this link: /secure-the-companionway-ladder. He solved it with a barrel latch at the top. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...93-jpg.133405/
    I would put the barrel latch on the ladder on the other side from the ladder latch and run it into a hole in the whatchacallit (thing the ladder leans against).
    https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Line-.../dp/B00DH3U6SI
    https://bluepelicanmarine.com/produc...-plated-brass+
    Last edited by MN Dave; 12-05-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Where can I buy those?
    West Marine, Jamestown... etc.

They are made by Garelick, GEM and others. Google, "boat ladder catches" or similar and you will find them.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    Jay called them ladder locks, and 'companionway ladder locks' googles up a few images.

The ones in your picture can come loose if the ladder shifts according to this link: /secure-the-companionway-ladder. He solved it with a barrel latch at the top. https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...93-jpg.133405/
    I would put the barrel latch on the ladder on the other side from the ladder latch and run it into a hole in the whatchacallit (thing the ladder leans against).
    https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Dog-Line-.../dp/B00DH3U6SI
    https://bluepelicanmarine.com/produc...-plated-brass+
    Personaly, I prefer cast fittings rather than ones that are stamped out of sheet metal. The ladder, in the photo, is not seated all the way down which does not allow the cleats/locks to fully engage. it is important to also have the side rails at the bottom of the ladder either fit into sockets or some other secure arrangement. I have seen pins as well as draw bolts that fit into holes in the ladder bottom as well as a wooden frames that fit around the ladder rail feet. No matter what you choose it should be stable and not prone to coming adrift in a seaway!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.