Thread: Recommendations for a manual bilge pump

Default Recommendations for a manual bilge pump

ive finally launched the tirrik thanks for all your help. it really did make a difference. all went pretty well. im closing in the engine well though. sloped water in, a real pain. im picking up some decent timber for oars this week.

Q/ can anyone recommend a good manual bilge pump to mount on the little aft bulkhead where the engine mount would have been , Im after something dependable with good output. thanks

tirrik bribie launch day .jpg

Default Re: Recommendations for a manual bilge pump

I just pulled the plastic-body Gusher 400 pump out of that exact location (well, under the rear thwart) on my Caledonia Yawl for several reasons, replacing it with a standard tube-style dinghy pump. I plugged the thru-hull with a cork and PL Premium.

1. The handle tabs on the plastic body broke and it needed a set of new seals, but has only seen very limited use in the 11 years (or so) it was installed by the PO. This it not what I'd consider reliable in an emergency!

2. Often the water was in the lower part of the bilge forward of the pump, so it wasn't good for pumping the boat dry after cleaning on the trailer. If the boat was partially swamped it would have worked OK, but was also subject to debris blocking the intake...which was hard to reach and clear. Don't know about your style of boating, but my bilge tends to collect sea grass and weed, mud / sand / gravel, plus various other debris like beer bottle caps, bits of line, etc.

3. While in a location good for the helmsman, it couldn't be operated by crew unless I moved to a different location in the boat.

On my dory skiff I drilled holes in various floorboards to fit the base of the dinghy pump. My new pump which actually fits under my removable floorboards, taking up no space until needed -

About the motor well -- when you say that water slopped in, what exactly is the issue? The well in my CY has a removable bottom plate held down with a simple wooden turn latch -- so water gets into the well (these aren't designed to actually seal) but I don't get any slop or water coming into the interior, and it is more efficient when sailing to not have that hole in the bottom. The only time I got water from the well coming into the boat was when testing a raised motor mount (shown in the photo) -- even with a short shaft motor, gunning it created a bit of a fountain around the motor: DOH! ;-)
    Last edited by Thorne; 12-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

thanks thorn. I was wondering about those sort of pumps. Ive only taken the boat out once to launch, didnt take the motor and dont have a plate to block the engine well off. water literally hit the aft wall of the well and sloped straight in when the boat was going fast. put about four inches of water in the boat pretty quickly. seemed to me like the back wall of the well should be sloped to deflect water down but maybe rubber seals around the motor. im about 16 1/2 stone and while not masive the water was a few inches up the well and pretty turbulent. it looked to me like the Tirrik was not really suited to an engine well ?

I have mixed feelings concerning motor wells, but for combined motoring & sailing on a double-ender they're hard to beat. Remember that a motor on a side mount would end up dragging in the water and possibly pushing water into the boat when sailing hard on that tack, so you'd have to heave to and hoist the motor (and possibly the mount) back into the boat. I really don't like having to hoist the motor up out of the well before beaching, but may try to fab up some sort of vertical-raising mount.

Try sailing and motoring at least 10 times before making any changes to the boat or motor well -- experience is really the best thing for decisions like these.

It is really easy to make a plug for the motor well. The one on my CY has a cleat to hold one edge, and a rotating piece of wood to lock it in place once the opposite edge has been placed under that cleat. The well has a circular hole, so the lid has a matching 1" thick shaped "plug" attached to the underside of the lid/plug, which doesn't seal out water but makes the underbody smoother for sailing.

IMG_8042.jpg

IMG_8043.jpg

IMG_8041.jpg
    Last edited by Thorne; 12-02-2018 at 11:56 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The Whale Gusher diaphragm pump is my own choice for ease of operation and efficiency in getting water out of the bilge in a hurry with the least amount of effort.
    Jay
    https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...=&Product_ID=1

Bosworth makes a Guzzler GL-0400D that can be hand or foot operated. Pricy but great for an open boat.

I like a positive displacement pump.
    The diaphram type can only pump at a rate allowed by stretch of the diaphram. If you have ever truly been in a situation where you noticed this, you will forever look askance at that "diaphragm" pump.

The old brass Wilcox and Crittenden pumps are very good if refitted with new leathers. Even the home made wooden box pumps or PVC pipe pumps work very well. Those are positive displacement, meaning each full stroke represents how much water will be discharged as opposed to a rubber diaphragm pump, in which a full (panic) stroke will just stretch the diaphragm leaving you waiting for the pump to fill itself, good enough if you have a bit of bilge water to discharge, but really bad if you are in danger of sinking.

These are the old US Navy lifeboat pumps, and all of them need will need to be reconditioned, but a better pump is hard to source. They pump about a half-gallon per stroke.

If your boat has open spaces, I find it handy to cut the bottom out of an old bleach bottle to make a scoop.

FX375RBGD2JKH7X.LARGE.jpg

awesome guys thanks heaps.

thanks thorne. I was coming up with all sorts of ideas on some removable piece for the engine well. that is simple and obviously works well.

thanks Ian, a foot operated pump so much easier. especially with the amount of water these boats can take on. the price on that brand is pretty reasonable for pumps that have that build quality.

thanks junkyard, im finding a bottle that is strong. some look pretty dinky these days. thin walled.

thanks junkyard, im finding a bottle that is strong. some look pretty dinky these days. thin walled.
    Try an antfreeze bottle or gallon oil jug. In addition, the square section creates a flat-bottomed scoop that can get almost every last drop out.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A large sponge is great for getting the last of the water out. I see no need for a pump--just the cut-off bottle and sponge.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I can throw in another recommendation for the whale pumps. If you want a diaphragm pump that's the way to go. I have installed Whale Titans on both of my boats. I used to have an aluminum Gusher but found that it had corroded to the point it didn't make sense to rebuild. I don't know how old it was but I've chosen to install the plastic version as a replacement. We'll see how long it holds up.