Thread: Brass (or appropriate) Rigging/hardware

Default Brass (or appropriate) Rigging/hardware

I have recently inherited my grandfather's 100+ year old gaff-rigged sailing dinghy, built by New England Boat Works out of Cos Cob, CT. She is in excellent and sail-able condition. I am in need of rigging stays and turnbuckles that are age appropriate for the boat, as well as sails, possible running rigging, and am looking for recommendations for these items. Her only flaw is that someone left the mast stepped and the boat full of water and she lost about 9-10" of mast height. I may need a new mast, but am thinking of a temporary fix wherein I craft a brass or copper sleeve the mast will fit in to, raising it the proper 9-10". There is plenty of mast below the foredeck, and with side stays and forestay, the sleeve will not create any significant "hinge." Alternatively, if anyone has recommendations for a solid mast crafter, I would take that too. Would also appreciate any feedback on rig position; the gaff seems low to me, and its height is dictated by the sail. I'm located in coastal NH.

Water Bug.jpgThanks all!

Default Re: Brass (or appropriate) Rigging/hardware

A beauty! Looks like a ton of fun! As far as replacement hardware goes you might check Port Townsend Foundry http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/ , They're on the ezxpensive side but the quality is excellent. You may be able to find a closer source, but they're the ones I know about. As far as the mast, what would be wrong with just scarphig on a new heel to the mast? Use good spruce (I'm guessing the material here) and a clean 12:1 scarph & Bob's yer uncle?

Just scarf a new bottom on the mast, you'll be fine. As to hardware, you need bronze, brass isn't strong enough.

As the others said, just scarf on a new chunk of wood to the bottom of the mast. A simple scarf is plenty adequate. If you can operate a saw you can do this.

For rigging, look up Jamestown Distributors or Duckworks. They should have a full selection of parts and pieces. Don't use brass.

Don't make any big modifications to the rig until you've sailed it several times. It's gotten by just fine for the last hundred years. Understand why it is the way it is before you change it up.

Nice boat, a real gem! Keep us posted on your progress.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

That is a fine little ship you have there! Your grandfather, obviously, knew how to take care of a boat! As mentioned above, you will need bronze rather than brass as bronze is stronger and more forgiving. Brass has the annoying habit of fracturing when overloaded. As to the splice of the mast heel, no big thing. Just use wood of the same species as is the rest of the mast. A clothes pin scarfe will be best for the job. twelve to one is the ratio you will need. When you are ready with the wood let us know and you will get all you need in the way of happy help to do it right!
    Wishing you good Fortune with your mast repair.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    A beauty! Looks like a ton of fun! As far as replacement hardware goes you might check Port Townsend Foundry http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/ , They're on the ezxpensive side but the quality is excellent. You may be able to find a closer source, but they're the ones I know about. As far as the mast, what would be wrong with just scarphig on a new heel to the mast? Use good spruce (I'm guessing the material here) and a clean 12:1 scarph & Bob's yer uncle?

Thank you for the advice! Will keep all posted.

Thank you for the advice! Will keep you posted.

Thank you for the advice! Yes she's a pretty sweet little girl. I've got many family photos of her racing in the Adirondacks where she spent her life; it's great to have and know all her history. Will keep all posted.

Thank you for the advice! Didn't even think of Jamestown...... duh on me.

Thank you! And yes I feel very lucky to have her.

that is a nice boat
    it would be cool to see the vintage photos..

ebay and craigslist are good sources for good prices on old bronze merriman or wilcox-crittenden hardware
    sometimes you have to keep searching or wait around for the right part or nice price...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Merriman-Br...g/162743958893

You can also often find great bronze hardware cheaply on ebay or at a marine consignment store if there's one in your area. Takes a little more looking around than new, but can be quite a bit cheaper if you find a good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    As far as replacement hardware goes you might check Port Townsend Foundry ...
    Hate to be a party-pooper but I can't recommend going to their website. After ten minutes of that (*&^ site grabbing every other piece of garbage on the planet and running thirty javscripts, I left. Without the page ever displaying itself.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to death of this stuff. Sites that are so badly written that they won't display in under one minutes means I will never ever buy from the place.

That aside, cool boat ! Think she's got enough rudder ?

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Sites that are so badly written that they won't display in under one minutes means I will never ever buy from the place.
    Bummer! I'm using chrome and it opens right up...but I quite agree about the OPs little boat

She's amazing! Bronze fittings are definitely the way to go and Port Townsend is a great resource. Have you thought about some good old-fashioned deadeyes and lashing the rigging? You could easily make the stuff you need with limited hand tools. Thanks for sharing. I would also look into re-establishing the proper mast height and hopefully get that boom out of your face.

Deadeyes on small boats like this always makes me giggle, it just looks soo stupid.
    This is what I would propose

I like my sails as low as they can get, but then I don't use a boom and I sit on the floors.

/Mats
    Yes the avatar depicts me; yes I drew the comic boat pic, it's a joke on the pop song I'm not a robot by Marina and the diamonds

You can also just pick up the phone and call 'em. I've started doing that for McMaster-Carr and other suppliers that either have poor websites or confusingly-full ones that are hard to navigate. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Favorite View Post
    Hate to be a party-pooper but I can't recommend going to their website. After ten minutes of that (*&^ site grabbing every other piece of garbage on the planet and running thirty javscripts, I left. Without the page ever displaying itself.

I'm sorry, but I am sick to death of this stuff. Sites that are so badly written that they won't display in under one minutes means I will never ever buy from the place.

That aside, cool boat ! Think she's got enough rudder ?
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

wonderfull looking little boat, 2nd Duckworks.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    You can also just pick up the phone and call 'em. I've started doing that for McMaster-Carr and other suppliers that either have poor websites or confusingly-full ones that are hard to navigate. Works great!
    You shouldn't reward bad behavior. That's child psychology 1A

Seriously, there is no excuse for this garbage. And if you happen to live on a wooden boat then you are going to have a slow connection. You know, the kind of boat that these items are built for.

Sorry, sick to death of this bad behavior and not going to reward it and not going to find a workaround for their stupidity and lack of concern for their customers. I will buy elsewhere. They aren't the only fish in the sea.

I do need some fittings for the boom, too, but they aren't going to be selling to me.

Are you sure you had the right website? Opens right up for me with no garbage.

http://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/marine-hardware

I would also use lashings or very small bronze turnbuckles on that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Are you sure you had the right website? Opens right up for me
    Four minutes thirty seven seconds on T-Mobile. For a page that's nothing but text.

If you don't use the /marine-hardware subdirectly it takes so long that I left.

with no garbage.
    Look at the source code. There's enough junk and google spyware in there to choke a horse. And it's

"Copyright © All Rights Reserved Port Townsend Foundry LLC"

So I'm assuming they created this mess themselves.

Sorry. I'm a crotchety old grump but google spyware and idiot programming turn me off entirely. That's my new rule, defy the creeps who make the internet unusable.

Plus they show no prices. What, are they ashamed of them ?

I am not a number. I am a free man
    Last edited by Favorite; 11-30-2018 at 09:25 PM.

^ worked absolutely fine for me - about ten seconds from go to whoa on a page of bronze turnbuckles.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

as I said earlier, just phone and order. Some traditional businesses producing traditional products tend to be a bit...traditional. A website is just one way to reach customers, and doesn't necessarily reflect on the quality of the product or friendliness of of the employees. I'm an IT pro and love a good website, plus hate poor UI design and website navigation issues. But if I was ordering a wagon wheel from an Amish craftsman, I'd try some other method than the InterWebs...

If you hate crap code, you must use UNIX or Free BSD or something similar, and never any Microsoft products!

I've found PT Foundry to be a wonderful business that promotes wooden boats and real craftsmanship, and only wish I had the dosh to buy more of their products. From this year's PT Wooden Boat festival -
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorne View Post
    If you hate crap code, you must use UNIX or Free BSD or something similar, and never any Microsoft products!
    Irix, and it has its own shortcomings

With the exception of the desktop, which is appalling, Solaris is super for a server. Too bad about Larry