Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maritime Art...beginning to work with oils and paints (I may delete this thread)

Default Maritime Art...beginning to work with oils and paints (I may delete this thread)

I have begun working in mixed media, oils and applied dry brushes. The idea of boats, the sea and remembering boyhood experiences appeal to me currently.

A felucca from the 1880s (it is an upcoming painting in progress for the Master Mariners fundraiser I may submit.

King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Default Re: Maritime Art...beginning to work with oils and paints (I may delete this thread)

Damn brother, thatís mighty fine.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Maritime Art...beginning to work with oils and paints (I may delete this thread)

Very nice. Don't delete!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

You have way more talent than I can aspire for. Please continue.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

You're an amazing dude, Ted. I really admire the things you do and how you go about living your life as shown here from time to time on these pages.

I like that first one quite a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Thank you.

I always doubt my own work. I can be easily frustrated, bored and move on. Over the past decade, my creativity was intentionally diverted so I could teach myself shipwright skills so I could modify, repair and maintenance of the boats I have had. I have some crazy rules to follow when I work on stuff. My personal limitations and inner voices make me turn off my own voice. I way too often get frozen and lose way too often when others step on my attempts to express myself.

This new art direction I am doing may become something more as I will try to marry this love with my film/video stuff. I can imagine a beautiful small film where these aspects come to life. It could become a really cool style. Who knows... or it might be another phase of expression which fades in the months to come.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-29-2018 at 03:13 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Thank you.

I always doubt my own work. .
    Don't. That painting is superb.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm sorry sir... delete the thread? I can't let you do that -- Dave.

Seriously... we KNOW where you live. Well... Scot does, and I bet he'd help us 'convince' you to not only leave it up, but to add more. <G>

No reason to doubt your work. It's lovely all 'round.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm a fan of this artist ... http://www.drewmerritt.com

The ships in the background of the first painting reminded me a bit of Drew Merritt.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Wow Ted, that's amazing. I'm no aficionado, but you've definitely got an eye, and the talent to put it down on canvas. You will have to carry a painting kit on your bike. A whole new aspect to your European tours.

I have my share of abilities and talents but art has always alluded me. I won't say that I'm jealous, but I certainly admire your ability and hope you will post many more.

Lovely stuff, Ted. I hope to see more from you. If I may inject a bit of inspiration from almost a century ago, a locally-famous photographer, W.R. MacAskill, produced a series of hand-tinted B&W photos of maritime scenes (especially famous for an image of the Bluenose close-hauled & charging hard) such as this image of Peggy's Cove, taken not far from where the monument to the Swissair plane disaster of a decade or so ago:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Very nice Ted , to me your style resembles hand tinted negatives.

The water in the felluca painting is amazing! That is such a hard thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    Very nice Ted , to me your style resembles hand tinted negatives.
    Quite astute that you and mmd picked that up - there is a homage. My technique includes tracing the main lines with a extra thick pencil and actively embracing cardboard cut outs to the canvas. Once that is mostly done, then i can use my imagination and emotion to apply the hand coloring, oils and dry brushes onto the canvas filling creating my own story which shares the time and place with the image. I do spend the day(s) at places observing where the images could have taken and build a true world color palate as it reveals itself.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-29-2018 at 06:02 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

You've been given a gift sir. By all means necessary, don't be deterred.

Not to puff you up. Artists, especially today when they are is so subject to the whims of weird market forces, can become vain. Be that as it may, my mildly tutored eye says those are quite fine.

Got any for sale? PM me. I have just the place for a seascape.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I'm a fan of this artist ... http://www.drewmerritt.com

The ships in the background of the first painting reminded me a bit of Drew Merritt.
    Drew has some skills! He may have already painted some folks on the forum already.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 5.24.46 PM.jpg
    King Moonraiser:

These are awesome! This is what keeps me coming back.
    Will

Beautiful work Ted! How did you do the Cat in the other thread?
    PaulF

Lovely, wistful work, Ted.

Love your work Ted. Thanks for posting it here.
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Nice! Don't delete!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Beautiful paintings, Ted. You are multitalented and a fine person with great zest for living and all that life offers you...
    I treasure the time we spent together last year. The interesting and deep conversations and mutual understanding were/are precious.

Keep this thread and keep adding your work to it. We all look forward to seeing more of it.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

I just love thisTed, the light and the minimalist clarity. Thanks for the motivation to draw more as well.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quite astute that you and mmd picked that up - there is a homage. My technique includes tracing the main lines with a extra thick pencil and actively embracing cardboard cut outs to the canvas. Once that is mostly done, then i can use my imagination and emotion to apply the hand coloring, oils and dry brushes onto the canvas filling creating my own story which shares the time and place with the image. I do spend the day(s) at places observing where the images could have taken and build a true world color palate as it reveals itself.
    When I first looked at your painting, the same thought came to me. Going over the first painting as if I really knew something about painting (I don't), some of the boys appear to have been done in greater detail while some are devoid of detail, like the boy in the orange shirt, for instance. Did you do that on purpose or was it perhaps experimental accident? I envy the result and think you have found a technique worthy of following.
    Tom L

Ted: Keep posting your art, I'm enjoying seeing it!
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Ted - beautiful!!

Can you share a little about your mixed media approach? I’m fascinated by that method. Are you starting with vintage photographs, or something else? The work is wonderful.

I have begun working in mixed media, oils and applied dry brushes. The idea of boats, the sea and remembering boyhood experiences appeal to me currently.

A felucca from the 1880s (it is an upcoming painting in progress for the Master Mariners fundraiser I may submit.

If this is your beginners work then I would like to see your advanced work!

Great paintings!!
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

I am always in awe of serious visual talents like yours, Ted. I have talents, but they lie in other areas.

Brains are such interesting things! A paternal great-grandfather was a draughtsman and illustrator, and my younger brother appears to have inherited his visual talent. I can't draw realistically to save my life, but I got all the musical talent in the family. And oddly, my maternal grandfather was a player and teacher of traditional music (a piper, among other things) AND a talented visual artist (sign painter and more), but his talents don't seem to have been conserved together, as it were. There must be a strong genetic component, but it's almost certainly a complex interaction, and environmental factors must be present as well.

What are you doing about it?

Beautiful... thanks for putting it out there... looking forward to more.

It just HAD to be a felucca, huh?

Peace,
    Sigh...

Well, gang, I think we have another budding John Stobart here!
    Nice work Ted!
    Jay
    http://www.askart.com/artist/John_St...n_Stobart.aspx

I'm not attracted to most paintings but I really like your work. Please don't even think about deleting this thread.

Beautiful work!

I think you've dropped the 'r' off your name....the pier painting in particular reminds me of some of Edward Hopper's paintings.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)