Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3645464756 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,610 of 2140

Thread: Update me on Brexit

Default Re: Update me on Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    For the benefit of rummy I will emphasise that most of the electorate presumably for reasons of apathy,despair or boredom with the whole fiasco, didn't bother to vote. Claiming that the votes of a minority of a minority is a ringing endorsement of anything is plainly ridiculous. It probably does fairly reflect that integration with Europe was never a major concern of the electorate and was seized upon by the previous dimwitted inhabitant of 10 Downing Street as something to occupy the minds of his party members.Compare and contrast with the research vessel "Boaty McBoatface" which was the outcome of a popular vote and was subsequently ignored.
    In addition to Boaty McBoatface, the same process gave the Labour Party Jeremy Corbyn.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nigel Farage has been given 24 hours by the European parliament to explain in person his failure to declare lavish expenses funded by Arron Banks, an insurance tycoon under investigation by the UK’s National Crime Agency.
    The summons came just two hours before the Brexit party leader was spotted arriving at the US ambassador’s residence in London for a meeting with Donald Trump during the US president’s state visit to the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...on-banks-funds
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

I see that frigging with other nations politics is becoming very fashionable.

In other news - Change-UK seems to be in big trouble.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

Re #1577 - Looks like Nigel got some advice from Trump today..

Nigel Farage says he will not attend a committee investigating whether he broke European Parliament rules by accepting funding from Leave campaigner Arron Banks.
    The Brexit Party leader has said he did not declare the 450,000 sum to the assembly because at the time, he was about to leave politics and had been seeking a new life in the US.
    He said he had only been given 24 hours' notice to attend a meeting of the committee on Wednesday, which he branded a "kangaroo court".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48516348
    Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race. H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    Re #1577 - Looks like Nigel got some advice from Trump today..

Nigel Farage says he will not attend a committee investigating whether he broke European Parliament rules by accepting funding from Leave campaigner Arron Banks.
    The Brexit Party leader has said he did not declare the 450,000 sum to the assembly because at the time, he was about to leave politics and had been seeking a new life in the US.
    He said he had only been given 24 hours' notice to attend a meeting of the committee on Wednesday, which he branded a "kangaroo court".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48516348
    So, he self-identifies as a kangaroo?

Interesting to read the quotes on the BBC from the people putting themselves up for PM, that all of them without exception are talking party first, threat of labour and Farage. Not one of them talked about the good of the country as a whole, just party, and no doubt what is best for the key sponsers of it, and how to stay in power.

^ Well, they are Tories, right-wingers, what do you expect? That they would put wage slaves and the poor over their big money sponsors?

^ I was just surprised that they seem to be unaware that "party first" mantra might actually be caught on by more of the "plebs"; they are supposed to be addressing the nation, not just Conservative party members. Same old, same old. Divide and rule.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ^ I was just surprised that they seem to be unaware that "party first" mantra might actually be caught on by more of the "plebs"; they are supposed to be addressing the nation, not just Conservative party members. Same old, same old. Divide and rule.
    Only party members can participate in the selection process. The party members have to cut through the cow chips to select a party leader that is capable of winning a general election. That is when the "plebs" get to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    I see that frigging with other nations politics is becoming very fashionable.

In other news - Change-UK seems to be in big trouble.
    I think that it would have been a bit more truthfull if they called themselves Change-SOS.

Nick

PS SOS = Save Our Seats

There seems to be a lot of two opposing opinions, often at the same time on this thread...

Criticism of those politicians in power, elected by the people... "Damn incompetent corrupt navel gazing party first buffoons.."

..And the opinions of those people that elected them... "Ignorant Boaty MacVote for whatever they read in the media sheeple idiots..."

Which is it?

The politicians are bound by complex legal peer review and long standing law...

The people have 'on the ground' opinions that are skewed by a corrupt media and lies told to them by the above...

Is everyone an idiot? If so, then that includes the perpetuators of such criticism...ie YOU.

I have not yet read a sensible way out of this mess, only a tirade of criticism, moaning and sh*t slinging which frankly is really boring.

I don't want moaning, I want solutions.

Anyone got one?

Get a European passport.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

I plan to go further...

Still doesn't answer my question however...not everyone can leave can they?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    There seems to be a lot of two opposing opinions, often at the same time on this thread...

Criticism of those politicians in power, elected by the people... "Damn incompetent corrupt navel gazing party first buffoons.."

..And the opinions of those people that elected them... "Ignorant Boaty MacVote for whatever they read in the media sheeple idiots..."

Which is it?

The politicians are bound by complex legal peer review and long standing law...

The people have 'on the ground' opinions that are skewed by a corrupt media and lies told to them by the above...

Is everyone an idiot? If so, then that includes the perpetuators of such criticism...ie YOU.

I have not yet read a sensible way out of this mess, only a tirade of criticism, moaning and sh*t slinging which frankly is really boring.

I don't want moaning, I want solutions.

Anyone got one?
    Well, politicians are mostly concerned with being reelected for the next government, so only look 5 years into the future and what their base wants.
    People are mostly too lazy to be well informed, that is why we elect politicians to do the research and make the decisions for us.
    Solutions? Try to persuade the media to use longer sentences. Stop with the short soundbites, treat the viewers like adults, not children with a short attention span. Have schools teach critical thinking and current affairs.

..and regards Brexit??

..and regards Brexit??
    Just cancel it. It’s obvious to all that no good can come of it.
    It’s own supporters have stopped saying there is an upside to it. It’s just being used as a stalking horse for Fascism.

Revoke Article 50, say sorry to the EU for wasting our friends’ time and get on with life.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    It’s own supporters have stopped saying there is an upside to it. It’s just being used as a stalking horse for Fascism.

Revoke Article 50, say sorry to the EU for wasting our friends’ time and get on with life.
    That and making the ultra wealthy like Re Smogg more wealthy. Oh, and to avoid the new EU Directive on Tax Avoidance. https://taxinsights.ey.com/archive/a...directive.aspx

Still doesn't answer my question however...not everyone can leave can they?
    Just run a two tier system. People who want to stay get an EU ID card, can travel at will, work wherever they want, buy stuff duty free in special EU cardholder only shops, and drink cold beer by the litre. For every person who leaves, one Eastern European/Turkish immigrant can enter.
    People who want to stay can enjoy standing in long passport queues, paying more for imported goods, drinking warm flat beer by the pint, and paying for ALL the added bureaucracy.
    I believe the Russians have a readymade blueprint for a system not unlike this, and I'm sure Vlad would happily send some consultants.
    Problem solved, and over time, even the most diehard leaver would see the light.
    OK, OK, I'm only being half serious. You got a better idea? That clock is ticking!

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

As I've said before, May should grow a pair, chanel Churchill and make a national statement to the effect that her government lied to them during the referendum on both sides and apologise. She should state that Brexit as voted for is undeliverable, taking time to state the reasons why, not least of all because of the Irish issue, and the likely collapse of the UK into it's constituent regions. It could be the speech of the century. Revoke Art 50, force corporations to pay their taxes giving pay rises to NHS workers and teachers, then buy everyone a chocolate bar. She would be catapulted into international stateswoman-ship instead of a snivelling also ran.

^ She could do that, but after admitting all the lying and laying out the real cost of Brexit, it would only be proper to have another vote with the population now in posession of better facts of the outcome if voting to leave. Boris should be stripped of his position and jailed for lying in public office, along with all the others that are guilty of doing the same, on both sides.
    A call to anull Parliment to force a no deal Brexit has been quashed, and rightly so.

^ Yes, the speaker of the house is standing up to the tory leadership candidates over their Brexit promises..

John Bercow has insisted it is "so blindingly obvious" that Tory front-runners will not be able to suspend parliament to force through a no deal.
    The Speaker weighed into the row over Dominic Raab's suggestion that parliament could be prorogued to ensure Brexit happens on 31 October, saying MPs "will not be evacuated" from the decision-making process.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8946461.html

Just hold another damn referendum, or just call it off. Jeesh, how simple can it get?
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

The thing is, I'm not actually sure we're in a better position of knowledge on the facts.

Fundamentally we havn't actually got that far. That is what our future relationship with the EU will be, what trade deals with the rest of the world will bring, what being outside the juristiction of the EU will do for jobs, employment or 'the banks'. We'd only actiually know the facts after being outside the EU for 20-30 years and compared GDP, employment etc then.

It's often brought up 'that number on the bus'. Lets put aside, that frankly it didn't really matter: it was also about sovereignty, border controls, future trade outlook direction etc. The number on the bus could have been lower - it would have still 'seemed alot', and it wasn't a lie to say we could fund our NHS instead. In fact large increases in NHS funding are in the pipeline, in part due to the Brexit dividend, assuming the economy doesn't tank.

Also 'that number' was a gross under estimate of the actual cost of EU membership. Sure we get a rebate, but being part of the EU isn't just the cost pay yearly. We also loose all the import duties. The EU collects and keep that. The cost of Eu membership is both the net contribution AND the loss of import duties. The actual value of import duties the UK governement would take is hard to find acurately: estimates are it's actually quite substantial. The combined contribution is actually MORE than 'that figure on the bus'. I realise the remainers need a target for why they lost, but I would have voted the same way, even if there had been no bus and no figure. THe UK treasury finances at least is in for a windfall from import duties at least. Consumer prices might increase on some things decrease on others, buying outside the EU's umbrella.

We never actually talked about the changes to the EU in the pipline. Increased federalisation, economic unions, EU armies etc. The UK was unconfortable as it was, never mid how it will be in 10 years. All that 'more Europe' means more payment. And independent defence policies will get harder. Not all things organised by committee get better.

The UK electorate, like much of Europe and recently the USA, has 'shifted to the right'. Jobs, cost of housing is becoming more political. The 'globalisation makes us richer' is hard to swallow if imports from other countries without minimum wage of health and safety/ social care undercut your business or economy unfairly. People understandably question the logic of it all - it's no use having a Chinese market for your products when you no longer have anything to sell, they protect their own economy and don't look to be falling into a Western democracy politically. Sending our money to dictatorships might not be a good idea in the long term. Just look at the Spratley's.

Brexit hasn't been delivered, not because of the NI border issue, or the EU, but due to Labour MP's making political capital by not voting with the government., even when they agreed with most of it and the future trading relationship was taken out. Its just political opportunism that has stalled May's view of Brexit, not that it can't be delivered. Can't be delivered by a weak May Government without DUP support and a poor Opposition it's true. May's deal was middle of the road, the small number of Brexiteer MP's were just Labour's 'usefull idiots' to avoid them being more accountable. All we've heard in the last 3 years is every MP's personal view of Brexit. They only got a view because of Gena Miller, and a 'hung parliament' means every MP's view counts. I'd say it should be rubber stamped by Parliament, but it's pertinently obvious why the civil service tried to keep it out of the Houses of Parliament now.

We saw a rise in nationalism in Ireland. We've seen a rise in nationalism in Scotland. We're seeng a rise in nationalism in England now. The next tory PM will have to deliver a no deal Brexit, no matter what they pre say in the hustings, otherwise many Conservatives will vote for the Brexit party in the next GE and that's the end of the Tory party. Like what happened to labour and the Tories in Scotland that got wiped out with SNP a few years ago. People are getting used to switching their vote.

It's a bit of a failure of journalism that nobody ever really sat down and talked about the NI/ Ireland border calmly. It became political, perhaps understandably. The people that do borders, actually say it can be done. The EU, Ireland, NI and UK don't want a hard border, so I can't see that as being unsurmountable. Ireland has to make a decision wether it want a free open border wit NI and inspection between Ireland and the EU or some border inspection between itslef and NI for the EU to be happy. They are going to have to accept that. They can't keep shouting 'Good Friday Agreement' when it required demilitarisation of the border, not the elimination of the border. Most counties in the world have a land border and deal with it. May thought that NI might vote to join Ireland in a hard Brexit if borders were put in. It's unclear how it plays out, but I'd expect a united Ireland in another 50 years either way. May (and Hammond) will go down as one of the worst Primeminsters in history. I think she has virtues, but she still didn't deliver. She seemed never to get consensus before announcing her personal plans. Fundamentally she must have assumed Labour MP's in Brexit seats would vote with her, and she didn't need the DUP, but those Labour MP's didn't. Partly due to Jeremy's orders but also due to not being in swing seats.

If you want to blame something for Brexit, I'd blame the UK's post war planning laws. For the last 50 years restricted house building has inflated prices, pressurising wages and pushing people into rented accomodation. Unrestricted immigration inflates it further. The action to restrict immigration to raise unskilled wages and reduce competition for houses etc is understandable. It doesn't affect me, I'm relatively wealthy, with high job security, and my house is paid off etc, but I do understand where people are coming from. I do think a massive house building program and house price deflation, Buy to Let restriction, one house per person etc would have made a big difference to a Brexit vote and avoided the middle classes coming behind Brexit. Population in Europe are spread over double the space. All parties in government have been woefull on housing. We have to build on green fields, houses in a local style that local people can afford on normal wages, big enough to raise a family, and that's the end of it. We also have to rebalance the social equation. Retirement age must be extended before Pensions kick in, and not funding young productive people in higher education needs to be given greater priority than keeping retired folk alive with very expensive healthcare.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 06-06-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post
    It's often brought up 'that number on the bus'. Lets put aside [the number on the bus]...
    Moments later,

The combined contribution is actually MORE than 'that figure on the bus'.
    I saw what you did there.

Andy
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

The UK has far more land to build on than many EU countries, just look at population density like the Netherlands. Its who owns the land, NIMBYS, and failure to renovate even brownfield sites. There is the same housing pressure in Sweden, and much has been said of builders holding land and building at a glacial pace because prices just keep going up. Supplying a home for everyone means reduced prices. Personally, i have never thought homes should be classed as an asset, though of course the prices might go up in line with inflation, houses that are 40 times an average local wage just drives working people away and speculators in. Houses are for living in, they should be sold on a cost and labour only basis when new, no matter if in Chelsea or Scunthorpe. Just another side effect of endless QE. Its just more money flowing back to the banks, than would be spare money to spend on the high street and other buisness, in other words, better for everyone else except banks.
    I certainly could not move back to my old area in South London doing the same job i was doing then, i do not actually see any party grabbing this by the horns and doing anything constructive, just endless jaw boning.

It's a bit of a failure of journalism that nobody ever really sat down and talked about the NI/ Ireland border calmly. It became political, perhaps understandably.
    You might have noticed that the issue of the Irish border has been 'political' since 1920, and blaming the media for the 'lack of discussion' over the issue is just you having a laugh, isn't it?

Also, Boris had a clear reprimand from the head of the UK Statistics Authority over his 350 million claim..

Dear Foreign Secretary,
    I am surprised and disappointed that you have chosen to repeat the figure of 350 million
    per week in connection with the amount that might be available for extra public spending when we leave the European Union.

This confuses gross and net contributions.

It also assumes that payments currently made to the UK by the EU, including for example for the support of agriculture and scientific
    research, will not be paid by the UK government when we leave.

It is a clear misuse of official statistics.

https://www.statisticsauthority.gov....-Secretary.pdf

Furthermore..
    The Institute for Fiscal Studies guide to the EU budget suggests that average net contributions to the EU are around 8 billion PA, which is about 154 million per week..

https://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publi.../bns/BN181.pdf

It suprised me that Corbyn doesn't have a radicle housing policy. He even says he'll 'protect the green belt'. Doesn't seem to have any policy at all. Just idle 'we'll build 100,000 houses' type meaningless promises. No actual detail of whaty he'd do. Especially bad when Labour's record on house building is surprisingly bad (worse than Tories). I don't think he really gets where the population, even his own base is on this. The only place I see people taking matters seriously is down in Cornwall. You see them taking a field and building a load of new 'affordable' houses down there and putting restrictions for locals only for a portion. And good on 'em. Don't see anything like that in Dorset or Hampshire. It's all infill development or demolish and build 2 bed flats. I agree the land owners/ house builders aren't always helping. It's in their interest to restrict supply to keep new prices up. Land value appreciation is also good for their balance sheet.

Edward you do talk bollocks in sound bites.
    Sovereignty? Daily Wail propaganda, we have never given up sovereignty. Our parliament and our ministerial level politicians that we send to Brussels maintain our Sovereignty.
    EU Army? More Daily Wail propaganda. https://www.ecfr.eu/article/commenta...sunderstanding & https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-franco-german
    Housing crisis. Yes profiteering by homeowners and the building trade. But it all began with two Thatcherite Tory policies. Pushing the Right to Buy hard, and capping Council spending so that it became impossible for them to replace the stock that they were forced to sell at well below market value.

Isla,

Import duties from the rest of the world, turning up in the UK are 3.5 billion net. Trade with the EU is about the same value. So if you impose the same tariffs (for simplicity and assume demand stays the same) it will add to about 7 billion to the treasury, that otherwide goes to the EU.

I'm not sure you can say all the contribution that comes back, isn't part of the payment. I'm not sure we need more EU paid for toilets or that land owners should get payments for doing 'not very much' with their land beyond owning it. That's all got to go. You might indeed prefer provision for cancer treatments or better roads or social housing. I'm not saying Eu funding has been all bad, but we could indeed choose to fund something 'else instead'.

The net of rebate (there is an argument that the rebate might go one day - the EU hate it as we're more afluent now) is 13 billion. Lets also discount that EU payments are set to increase if the 'more Europe' agenda progresses.

The total cost is 20 billion per year. That's 385 million a week being the cost of the EU single market. It's actually more than the figure on the bus, if you care.

Now if your Germany, and you make cars, that border free access into many affluent markets on your doorstep is a very good advantage. Especially when EU rules make starting new competition difficult with state aid. Add a few fiscally 'erratic' countries devaluing your currency, and your exports will be rosy too, especially if this coincides with an industrialised emerging middle class in China demanding cars not bicycles. For us on the other hand, our exports, move through the internet, financial transaction that have little boundary, inspection or taxation in the ether. Add to being a small island, where the idea of freemovement is a misnomer - getting off this Island is never quick by any method. Border waits? Well try 2 hours just to get accross the Channel as a minimum anyway, and it's understandable when people just shrug their shoulders at it.

The problem about funding without the EU is that it does not happen as much as it should. Tories are for low taxes and underfunding social services. They used to under fund nationalised utilities as well, hoping that they would fail, but they are mostly sold off now. Labour also under funds some things for different reasons, in the case of BR because they were going to do it in the next parliament after some pet project got funded this time, only they lost the election and so the underfunded BR was given back to the Tories to starve of funds so it would fail. At least the EU obliges our government to act when they otherwise would not.

^ I strongly recommend you read the IFS guide in full, as I have. There is much more to take into account than you think, such as regional development funding, university research programmes and much else. Nobody except hardline brexiteers accept the 350 million figure now.

You, along with Ree-Smaug and others have accepted that real term economic benefits could take 30-40 years, and that's just a 'maybe, possibly, if it all turns out like we hope it will'. Sorry, that's a big gamble, and it's just not good enough. The older right-wingers of today want to put the future prospects of our younger generation into a raffle and hope that they will draw a winning ticket. Not good enough.

Besides, we are far from prepared to leave the EU without a deal. According to the Institute for Government there is still much to do, and with a recess between late July and early September I can't see parliament getting through the workload..

The Government passed the EU Withdrawal Act in 2018 to copy EU law into UK law after Brexit. However, the Government also needs to pass several more bills ahead of a no deal exit:

The Trade Bill, giving the Government powers to “roll over” existing EU trade deals and establish the Trade Remedies Authority.
    The Agriculture Bill, to create a domestic agricultural regime.
    The Fisheries Bill, to create a domestic fisheries regime.
    The Immigration Bill, establishing the “settled status” regime for EU citizens living in the UK
    The Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill, to implement reciprocal healthcare agreements that the Government negotiates with other countries.
    The Financial Services Bill, to give the Government powers to implement future EU financial services regulations in the UK, in order to provide certainty for financial institutions.

The Government must also pass hundreds of statutory instruments.

The Government has been reluctant to provide updates on how far it has got on preparing for no deal. A Government paper published in February 2019 said it was “on track for just over two-thirds of the most critical projects”. However, the report did not explain what those critical projects are, which ones are not on track, or what the Government is doing to get them back on track.

HM Revenue and Customs have been communicating with businesses about the new customs processes they will need to follow if there is no deal, but many businesses are still unaware of the changes they will face. The Government has committed to publishing extra plans for managing the border with Ireland in the case of no deal (but so far nothing has been published)

There will also be problems exporting animal products to other countries if current EU agreements have not been replaced. The UK has said it will replace EU funding for farmers until the end of the current payment cycle (And after that??)

There is no clarity over the UK’s approach to fishing quotas after Brexit.

The Government has asked pharmaceutical companies to build “buffer stocks” of key items to deal with any interruption to supply. It has also bought warehouse space and secured additional freight capacity for shipping medical goods to the UK. The Government believes that “if everyone… does what they need to do, the supply of medicines and medical products should be uninterrupted”. (So is 'everybody' doing what they need to do?)

Cross border law enforcement -
    The UK cannot recreate the EU’s existing cooperation mechanisms on its own: it will have to rely on outdated or less secure methods to work with EU counterparts, as the EU’s tools are only for member states or countries with special agreements.

Sajid Javid, Home Secretary, wrote to his counterparts asking for contingencies to be in place – there has been no move from the EU to agree these.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Yep. Get on with a strong, safe, and prosperous North Atlantic community.
    Trust me to defend the Constitution just as soon as I'm sure you're going to vote for me again.

Further to my claim in #1607 (..we are far from prepared to leave the EU without a deal.) and Edward's statement in #1599 (The people that do borders, actually say it can be done.)

The government official in charge of delivering “frictionless” Brexit border arrangements, including emergency plans for Dover and Ireland in the event of no deal, has quit just two years into her job.

Karen Wheeler, director general of Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs Brexit border delivery group, was the lead official coordinating a cross-Whitehall response involving police, ports, customs and freight interests.
    Her departure is being seen as a blow to the government and increasing the risk that the UK will not be as prepared for a possible no deal on 31 October.
    “Nothing is happening in Whitehall now. Lots of people have been stood down on Brexit no-deal preparations and there is a general risk that people are just going to see this hiatus as an opportunity to clear off and go into the private sector,” said a source who knows Wheeler.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-plans-resigns

It would appear that Ms Wheeler didn't think it could be done.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

The total cost is 20 billion per year. That's 385 million a week being the cost of the EU single market. It's actually more than the figure on the bus, if you care.
    Hasn't that little piece of propaganda been put to bed?
    Or is this a new $350+ billion that's just appeared?
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.