Thread: XL Dudley Dix Oppikat

Default XL Dudley Dix Oppikat

A while ago, I reached out to Dudley Dix to inquire about the possibility of a larger version of his 9' Oppikat. It currently handles a max payload of one adult and one child. That's great for now, but if I'm going to invest in a build like this, I'd like it to be a bit more future-proof. I asked for one that can handle a small family. Seems like he's fielded this question before or at least had previously percolated on it because he got right back to me (I'm sure bigger versions of any design is a common question for a designer). He said that for a $300 design fee, he'd draw me up one and then he'd put the plans on his website. At the time, I was knee-deep in prepping for my 12' pram build in the PNW. We spend half our time in the US Virgin Islands and I'm feeling decidedly boat-less. I think a couple of strip-built hulls would scratch my itch for building, also my desire to tackle a strip-built project (since I'm not really a canoe guy). The more I think about it, the more I'm seriously tempted to chase this dream. Previously, I've owned both a Hobie Wave & Getaway, so I'm very familiar with this style of sailing. One cool thing about strip building is that if you're building one boat, you only can usually put two strips on per day. If you're building two hulls, that productivity doubles. Or I may decide to tackle this project next summer back in WA where I have more access to tools & hardware. Either way, I'm super intrigued.

While researching this build, I also discovered the Quattro 14' from Woods, which is more of the size that I was looking for. These are stitch & glue plywood hulls, which is fine, easy, but I've been there/done that twice. I also think that strips will allow me to develop more interesting, curved hull forms that more closely resemble the Hobie roto-molded style instead of flat Hobie 16 banana hulls.

What do you folks think?

oppikatnagel12.jpg

oppikatrig.gif

oppikatdeck.gif

quattro14.gif

Default Re: XL Dudley Dix Oppikat

I forgot to mention that I'm partially interested in incorporating CNC machining processes into my boat building, so this would be a very interesting project from that perspective.

Default Re: XL Dudley Dix Oppikat

Now while you are in the US which probably makes this not an ideal selection as it would be unsale-able.

In NZ and Aussie the Paper Tiger Cat would meet your criteria. Being a ply hull it could be done with CNC and cutter. While they are raced 1 up I have used one with a mate to travel up the coast as a camp cruiser. Used an old grape/fish bin for our gear in bags.
    https://www.papertigercatamaran.org/ptcia/

Zq