Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

Default Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

My son got T-boned by a deer while sitting at a stop sign. Stupid deer...

Default Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

I pass two or three dead deer almost every single day. I have to drive very defensively, leaving at 0430 on workdays.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I don't doubt that Paul's deer got up and walked away. I do, however, doubt that it is unharmed. There is a dead deer in the woods nearby.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I've had two deer incidents, I hit one and two weeks later one hit me.

The route home from work had very steep ditches on each side of the road. The first deer (the one I hit) came out of the ditch and I didn't see it until it was in right front of me.
    A couple of weeks later, driving on the same road at about the same time, I saw a deer heading from a corn field and down into the ditch. With the recent memory of hitting a deer, I immediately came to a stop and watched for the deer. As I expected the deer can running out of the ditch. I guess the deer didn't know I was there and ran right into the side of my van. Minimal damage (to the deer) this time.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

Glad you are unhurt and your vehicle appears to have fared better than others I've seen following a deer strike.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Could be worse. Could have been a moose.
    The beast that jumped onto the hood of my car was about the size of a Cape Buffalo.

You appear to have the same problem with deer we have with roos and wallabies. I suspect an undiagnosed epidemic of depression. The poor sad creatures browse the rich pick on the roadside then in desperation throw themselves into path of any car or truck to end it all.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    do you have a road kill scavenge law there?

we have one here in Oregon now. haven't hit anything edible yet myself.

IIRC from my time in Ann Arbor, in Michigan, roadkill game goes to the sheriff. It then goes to charity kitchens, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

That's not much damage. A mere glancing blow.

We killed one once, square on, using a Camaro. The whole front crumpled.

We butchered the deer and put it in the freezer. The intention was to enjoy the prime, grain-fed, superbly fattened flesh on special occasions. Christmas and such. But Robin couldn't get past the image of the creature soaring overhead, almost, and so the cuts sat in the freezer for over a year. Untouched.

Then, out of the blue, a CBC film crew picked my neighbour's farmhouse to be the location for a filmshoot. A huge crew came out for 3 days. They needed support, so the Community Center stood up and offered to host the whole bunch. It was October; cold and gloomy. A hot meal was offered and accepted. So the need arose to provide hot lunches for the CBC folks for 3 workdays.

You see where I'm going with this. Yes indeed, we offered them "beef stew", with all the trimmings. The filming went splendidly, all on schedule, the crew were very glad to get into the Center where it was warm and the smells were delicious, and at the end of it all the Director made a touching speech about country hospitality. How we should all get back to basics. Rural people are in touch with things that city people have forgotten.

And then they drove away, smiling, happy, with their bellies full... of road-kill Bambi.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I got one with a Fiat Spider once. Fender, headlight & hood - flipped it right over the car & scared the crap outa me.
    Most people do not realise how lucky they are when they come away unscathed from colliding with a large animal.

There have been incidents when the animal has hurtled through the windscreen to cause serious bodily harm to the occupants of the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Most people do not realise how lucky they are when they come away unscathed from colliding with a large animal.

There have been incidents when the animal has hurtled through the windscreen to cause serious bodily harm to the occupants of the vehicle.
    I do!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I did say 'most' !

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post

considering the fiat Spider's windscreen is only held to the car with 4 bolts and the frame is quite flimsy without the glass to stiffen it.. yes, quite lucky
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    considering the fiat Spider's windscreen is only held to the car with 4 bolts and the frame is quite flimsy without the glass to stiffen it.. yes, quite lucky
    An old friend was visiting from San Francisco last week and was reminiscing old times in Rio (early 1970s) when 5 of them huddled into a VW Karmann Ghia...and collided with a cow that was crossing a badly-lit road in the suburbs, a semi-rural area at the time...it landed on the bonnet but stopped short at the windscreen not before shattering the glass ......shards flew everywhere although their eyes were spared...

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    The beast that jumped onto the hood of my car was about the size of a Cape Buffalo.
    Moose? I could live without that (literally). Glad to hear you survived.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I used to know a fellow that hit a horse with a MGB GT. Actually, he missed most of the horse, but the head came through the windshield and ended up on the passenger seat. The head was no longer attached to the rest of the horse.

What was he driving- 1980 Serta Sleeper? ��
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Girouard View Post
    Have you seen this video on FB?

I don’t know how to link it but if you google when Rudolph is late for work you might find it.

Attachment 27146
    that is one powerful animal.

I live in a first-ring suburb of St Paul, pretty densely populated, and I'll get half a dozen of 'em in my back yard some days. This weekend we had a couple of young bucks (literally) trying to impress the ladies. They seem to be getting more careful, so that the cars aren't enough to keep the population down anymore, and they're talking about shooting some - professionals; there are too many people to let amateur hunters loose. Rats with hooves, in the sense that they've learned all too well how to live with people.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I live in a first-ring suburb of St Paul, pretty densely populated, and I'll get half a dozen of 'em in my back yard some days. This weekend we had a couple of young bucks (literally) trying to impress the ladies. They seem to be getting more careful, so that the cars aren't enough to keep the population down anymore, and they're talking about shooting some - professionals; there are too many people to let amateur hunters loose. Rats with hooves, in the sense that they've learned all too well how to live with people.
    The same thing on Long Island, N.Y. where we used to live. Deer all over the place, wandering around in the suburbs. No predators, no hunters and a moderate climate. Now we live in the mountains of Vermont. Very harsh winters, predators (coyotes) and hunters. We see very few deer.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I'm not sure whether there are actually more deer per square mile in the suburbs, but you sure do see them more often. The only predator is the automobile. (My town has a population of about 36,000, roughly 2600/square mile, and the metro area about 3.6 million)
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

In my province, commercial forestry practices are transforming mixed woodlands into mostly coniferous softwood lumber plantations; the companies spray RoundUp on the competing "weed" trees etc., which happen to be what the deer can eat. Since the 80s, this led to a steep drop in our overall deer population, coupled with a sharp increase in the density of the deer population in and around small towns and suburbs. The deer re-located to where they could at least survive on people's ornamental plants, when their natural larder got razed.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Hey the exploder can still drive, right?
    Coworker hit a deer square with his 3-week old grand cherokee, a model with lots of swanky tech loaded up front. In the shop for 5 months and throwing errors for 5 more months before he bailed on it. Go FCA!
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Hey the exploder can still drive, right?
    Coworker hit a deer square with his 3-week old grand cherokee, a model with lots of swanky tech loaded up front. In the shop for 5 months and throwing errors for 5 more months before he bailed on it. Go FCA!
    Ha, ha, ha
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

It's really wonderful how many species are able to live closely with humans. Besides rats and feral cats, we have turkeys displacing pheasants to the point of brazen inconvenience. Amazing when one considers there were none for over a century till 1995 when twenty eight wild turkeys, five toms and 23 hens, were released in Wellfleet. They were fruitful and multiplied. As have deer and the ticks with pathogens.

One might think hunting, especially turkeys, could help, but it's against the law to discharge a firearm within 500' of a building without the owner's express and time defined permission. And wild turkeys are not like the estrogenized butterballs raised in boxes at the factory farms. A wild turkey is about half the gross weight as a farm bird and has barely a pound or so of edible flesh. And they are very smart, very hard to hunt.

Deer are also over-populating. Martha's Vineyard has community cold storage where deer can be processed and stored. Handy for folk without a large 'fridge. And if you donate one of your deer to the local food program, the cold storage fee is waived. Deer are a bit easier to hunt but the firearms used have more range and are thus more dangerous to other people.

Coyotes and foxes proliferate, often living innocuously in the garden and surviving on rodents and the occasional unwary fat house cat.

Competent ecologists and greenies know that if there are any humans around, the human impact is massive. "Wild" is actually quite rare and in most places with a human population is just a euphanism for neglected. We must learn to manage our ecosystems with conscious intent, understanding where the run-off from the golf courses winds up, why the Canada geese overwinter, how the industrial mix of strange chemicals in our daily lives gets concentrated in the food chain.

All that and maybe learn safe ways to harvest some of the critters for the table.

we have turkeys displacing pheasants to the point of brazen inconvenience.
    Oy, tell me about it! There are turkeys all over the place here, and all within the last ten years. Again, no predators except cars - well, an occasional fox, perhaps, but no coyotes this close to the city. Nobody hunts them, but they're so accustomed to people I could almost catch one with my hands.

Richard Feynman

There used to be high pitch whistles that you mounted on your bumper to ward off the deer. I don't see them much any more, the concept must have been debunked.

My youngest asked me about the deer crossing signs. I told him the deer can't read, they just cross where ever they want.

The same thing on Long Island, N.Y. where we used to live. Deer all over the place, wandering around in the suburbs. No predators, no hunters and a moderate climate. Now we live in the mountains of Vermont. Very harsh winters, predators (coyotes) and hunters. We see very few deer.
    Rich, I hate to dispute you, but there are some 3,500 deer per year shot by hunters in Suffolk County. First column is bucks, second col is total including antleress deer.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.47.42 PM.png

And to Keith's point, the state biologists I've talked with confirm that that there are more deer in peopled areas than in wilderness areas. Agriculture, and/ or decorative landscaping and shrubbery, supports more animals per square mile than do acorns and chestnuts. See this map of New York deer population: the wildest parts of the state have the least deer. I would imagine that holds through, at least generally, elsewhere.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.46.28 PM.jpg

Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Breakaway; 11-27-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

because driving slower and paying more attention is soooo not fun.

had 2 deer cross in front of me and saw 7 in the (rather long) driveway last night.. there were - amazingly - no collisions.

Keith, here is just one example of coyotes in St Paul. There are most likely many more than estimated as they are mostly nocturnal and hide real well.

Jim...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Oy, tell me about it! There are turkeys all over the place here, and all within the last ten years. Again, no predators except cars - well, an occasional fox, perhaps, but no coyotes this close to the city. Nobody hunts them, but they're so accustomed to people I could almost catch one with my hands.
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

Pless... you've turned into SUCH a milquetoast since moving North.

Where is the call for .50 machine gun emplacements - manned (womaned?) 24/7 by a rota of volunteers???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    because driving slower and paying more attention is soooo not fun.

had 2 deer cross in front of me and saw 7 in the (rather long) driveway last night.. there were - amazingly - no collisions.
    Around here, you could be at a stand still and still have an incident with Bambi. It's hunting season and they're on the move.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

I schooled my girls on driving/deer, esp in the fall - but despite my efforts, they still managed to hit one - the one they didn't see, while watching the other one(s), across the road. Little damage, no injuries, some tears. But I got over it.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

The lad missed all the deer last Winter, but observed that they tend to move in 3s. The first couple will get by, and then slow down to wait for the last one to come up over the shoulder of the road.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The small town where I lived in SD is 'hunters paradise', lots of deer - and the 'new' hospital was built a few miles out of town, in the 'new development' area (hope springs eternal). I did a lot of call back then, and recall one night, leaving the hospital around 1:00 AM (when the bars are closing) - and seeing a herd of deer, in the trees next to the highway, where they usually crossed. And I could see some yahoo hitting one of those deer, and me having to get out of bed, again, to put one or the other back together. So I got out, and 'herded' those deer across the road, and down the field, away from the highway. Guestimate 50 - 75 animals.

That's real preventative care.