Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

Default Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCaird View Post
    Anybody ever heard of "Roo-bars"?
    fullsizeoutput_1da7.jpg
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Default Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Around here, you could be at a stand still and still have an incident with Bambi. It's hunting season and they're on the move.
    Rutting season keeps them moving too.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

We've deer, turkeys, foxes, fishers, and maybe coyotes, but never seen or heard one in our neighborhood. Have seen or heard the others.

At our daughter's in Helena, MT, we've seen deer strolling down the street. Not stupid, they know where it's safe.
    "Congress doesn't regulate Wall Street, Wall Street regulates Congress."

MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY! "I have heard of some kind of men that put quarrels purposely on others."

As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

International Financial Conspirator, Collaborator, Gun Runner, Ace Philosopher-King and all-around smartie pants

Birds is what we get.There are a few stealth rabbets, possum and ferrets no doubt, but it's the boids. Tui and ducks and at night, screaming kiwi .

Birds is what we get.There are a few stealth rabbets, possum and ferrets no doubt, but it's the boids. Tui and ducks and at night, screaming kiwi .
    I once creamed a barn owl at night, as it swooped across the road just at the height of my windshield. No damage to the truck, probably because it was a 30 mph road, but Hootie the Owl did not make it ( and some rodent or rabbit lived to squeak another day)

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I went for decades of lots of night-time miles without a single casualty, but in the past three years I have auto-assaulted one deer (a big one!), a turtle, a couple of partridge, a rabbit, a couple of squirrels, and a raccoon. So far, I have fortunately maintained my no-hit record of porcupines and skunks. And no, I am not trying to make up for lost time.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Around here, you could be at a stand still and still have an incident with Bambi. It's hunting season and they're on the move.
    Same in my area.
    Allan of the Grove
    "never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.."

The road kill birds you see here are Pukeko, a swamp hen, and Hawks. The hawks get hit because they won't or can't let go of the carcase they're on.
    Northland roads have a lot of beware of kiwi signs, fortunately I haven't seen one.

From Adventure Rider at https://advrider.com/f/threads/i-hit...-bear.1339423/

A friend and I were hitting the back roads in West Virginia earlier this week. We always take turns leading and picking out interesting side roads in the mountains. I was leading on my Africa Twin on a twisty two lane road. I came around a little right hander at about 50 MPH and scared up a black bear that was in the ditch on the right hand side. I didn't see him until he darted out of the ditch.

I didn't really have any time to react other than swerving to the left a bit. I was relieved when I was able to get the front of my bike past the bear, but then I felt a substantial hit on the back of the bike. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw my buddy swerving to miss the bear and the OEM side case and its contents laying all over the road. Luckily, neither the bear or me went down.

My next concern was dealing with a really pissed off bear! However, he was hightailing it back up the mountain. The side case was totally destroyed and there was a slight dent in the heat shield on the muffler, but that was the extent of the damage. It could have been much much worse.

So, if anyone has right side OEM case, OR wants to buy an OEM Africa Twin a left hand side case, I'm all ears. Racer

PS Side case sold.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

$6000.00 Body shop bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Ouch! I hope your comprehensive paid for it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

They just donít make em lke they used to. . .

Deer?

Damage to three panels plus windshield.... yeah 6k seems about right for that. Did you at least hose-off the deer **** before you brought it into the shop?
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

That winter after Reagan's election I was rural poor people's organizing in New Hampshire's North Country. I'd had a round of house meetings through the late afternoon into the night - Groveton, Lancaster, Whitefield, Bethleham - and had come over Agasssiz Hill on my way home to Franconia. About midnight. Lovely full moon. Snowbanks high on each side of the narrow road so it was like driving through a white trench with a roof the brighter stars and the moon. When out of the sky something landed on the hood of my car, smashed through the windshield, and somewhat hung up on the steering wheel.

I managed to stop without crashing and found a twitching thrashing deer keeping me stuck. I was able to get out my knife and cut her carotid and that left peace enough to extricate myself. I remembered an occupied farm house by the meadow at the foot of the hill so, after putting out reflectors each way in the unlikely event that another car came by, I lurched the half mile to warmth and a phone.

I must have been a horrible sight, covered in deer blood and all. The whole family got up and got dressed to hear my tale and ply me with coffee. They offered whiskey but I saved that till after my interview with the Stateys.

I was told I had a right to any salvageable meat. Since I didn't want it, I happily gave that mess to the farmer. I did have dinner on some of it in the spring or so. Because I'd bled the doe so soon after impact, there was less blood damaged meat than one would expect from road kill.

As the spoof radio show call-in went (sorry, that meme really was a gag), they really ought to move the deer crossings to a place you're stopping anyway, like by the school bus stop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI

Unhappy Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

I hit an 8 point buck going 55MPH in a 28 foot box truck.
    At night during a thunder storm.
    Killed the deer, the truck had to be towed and I needed a change of underwear.
    Ain't fun is it Paul?
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

So, if the deer had automatic weapons with extended capacity magazines, how badly would they mess up cars?

Peace,
    I Don’t Think You Thought This Through

Exclamation Re: Deer season should be extended, magazine capacity unlimited, auto weapons allowed

I whacked an Armadillo in Texas one night.
    It banged around like a pinball underneath my 71 Ford Mavrick and knocked the muffler and tailpipe off.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

My lad is driving the East Coast of Oz at the moment. He's whacked a few Roos with his roo bar. No problem. But one came at him from the side. Bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One really needs to watch for those turtles that dash out in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    I hit an 8 point buck going 55MPH in a 28 foot box truck.
    At night during a thunder storm.
    Killed the deer, the truck had to be towed and I needed a change of underwear.
    Ain't fun is it Paul?
    good speed, and driving skills! They’re a different breed, eh?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Could be worse. Could have been a moose.
    A moose would end you.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    A moose would end you.
    Years ago I rode my Triumph Tiger up to Moosehead lake. I was on a logging road north of Jackman, playing boy racer sliding the rear wheel some on the corners & came around one to find a cow & her calf in the middle of the road. I came to a stop less than 10 ft. from them, stalled the bike & sat there shaking. She gave me a "What is your problem?" look & ambled off.

I rode about 15 MPH the rest of the way...

FIL had a deer cave in the windshield and wipe out the passenger seat in his Boxster. Needless to say, we was pretty shaken up by it.

Fortunately the car was away at the shop long enough for him to calm down.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    A moose would end you.
    Actually, moose have such long legs that they tend to flip up over the vehicle. Unless you have a typical Yank pickup or SUV.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

The body shop just called. They wanted to know if I had come by sometime and picked up the Explorer. Apparently they canít find it.

Now that's cool. The body shop have insurance?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    The body shop have insurance?
    they better, if so Iím upgrading from this piece of **** Hyundai rental

Fess up. It's down the well, beside Kat's sweatpants, right?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

The body shop just called. They wanted to know if I had come by sometime and picked up the Explorer. Apparently they can’t find it.
    Did you thank them?
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

I danced a little dance.

Unfortunately, the shop found it. They had it under my name, not Paulís.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

they better, if so Iím upgrading from this piece of **** Hyundai rental
    Rhymes with Sunday.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh I so want this to be part of Kat's christmas-surprise scheme in which the body shop pretends to have lost the exploder so they could have time to paint it John Deere Green.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.